Singapore Expats Forum

Employment Pass Application Query

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

anjin-san

Employment Pass Application Query

Postby anjin-san » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:51 pm

Howdy everyone!

I've just been offered a job (entry-level) with a bank in Singapore. My employers and I have begun the application process for an Employment Pass.

I was wondering if there could be any problems due to the fact that I've had no working experience aside from internships (just out of university)? Plus, how long does is normally take to process an EP? I read 2-4 weeks on one website, 3 weeks on another, and been told just over a month by someone else.

Thanks heaps people.

Regards,
Pat

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Employment Pass Application Query

Postby Bremen » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 1:50 pm

anjin-san wrote:Howdy everyone!

I've just been offered a job (entry-level) with a bank in Singapore. My employers and I have begun the application process for an Employment Pass.

I was wondering if there could be any problems due to the fact that I've had no working experience aside from internships (just out of university)? Plus, how long does is normally take to process an EP? I read 2-4 weeks on one website, 3 weeks on another, and been told just over a month by someone else.

Thanks heaps people.

Regards,
Pat

Hi Pat,

Yes, the bank would need to work hard to get the EP since you have no work experience. They have to convince the MoM that you have unique skills not found in the local workforce.

2-4 weeks is about right.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Bremen. A slight disadvantage hey? Bugger!
Let me furnish a few more details - maybe that will help my assessement?

- I'm a Malaysian national (doesn't that count for something? Neighbours and best friends and all that? :P Seriously though.)
- My internships were pretty technical - co-authored and published a research paper at the last one

The above counts for something? Really looking forward to working and living in Singapore. Last time I visited was in 1993, and it was a beautiful place even back then!

Thanks,
Pat

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 2:20 pm

- Plus my basic salary will be just over SGD$3500

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 1:33 am

wow...the company is offering u sgd3500 for an entry-level job?
Very good one indeed!
May I know what kind of position will u take on the bank?
I am also a fresh-graduate and being offered a position by bank in singapore. But i have no clue whatsoever about the salary.

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 3:40 am

Hey cygnus1,

It's for a position in investment banking. I'm hoping that the fact they are offering me such a competitive rate would make the Employment Pass easier to get?

What work will you be doing? Are you a foreign national like myself?

Pat

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

EP

Postby Scorpion » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 4:11 am

Hi anjin-san, with your details there are good possiblity to get your pass approved with enough support documents given by the bank.

Is the offer direct from the bank or through an agent, as it goes through the agent more queries will be posted for the job position and much needed skills to fill it.

cheers :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 4:20 am

Hi Scorpion - thanks for the response.

That sounds brilliant! The job offer is direct via the bank.

Thanks heaps. I'll be in Singapore early next year. Will have to come by one of the drink nights to say 'hola'. :)

Pat

P.S. My goodness you're up early!

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Job

Postby Scorpion » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:46 pm

Good to hear that anjin-san, if the job is offered directly from the bank then they shall have their ways to get it. As most of them maintain the stipulated local vs. expat employee % to be maintained.

cheers

[p.s - actually it was not that i got up early, it was other way around. Went to sleep after my late pubing ]
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 8:25 am

anjin-san...i think the rate is very competitive enough.

I will be working in a local bank, but...yes the position and salary is still yet to be disclosed. So i'm hoping to get as many reference i can about an entry-level job as an undergraduate in banking.

I am foreign national from Indonesia.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

factors

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 1:24 pm

cygnus1 wrote:anjin-san...i think the rate is very competitive enough.
I will be working in a local bank, but...yes the position and salary is still yet to be disclosed. So i'm hoping to get as many reference i can about an entry-level job as an undergraduate in banking.
I am foreign national from Indonesia.

Hi cygnus, there are difference when it comes to comparison of education criteria like graduate or undergraduate and university performance etc.. lots of factors dropping into when the E.pass it taken into approval.
Good luck to get your pass approved.

cheers :cool:

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 2:54 pm

Hi Scorpion - hope you've recovered well from your big night out!

Is university performance actually a factor when being considered for an EP Scorpion? I've heard about Singapore being a very prim, proper and detail-oriented place, but this is amazing.

My performance at university was average (never failed a subject though!), but I won a scholarship and did a double degree. All value-added I hope? My saving grace with jobs has always been being really active in outside activities. Personally, I believe you learn a lot more that way!

Will be submiting my EP application early next week. I'm currently in the process of gathering employment testimonials.

cygnus1: I am very blessed to have gotten such a great job straight from university. That said, any position with a respectable institution in Singapore is sure to act as a springboard for your career. Good luck with your EP application, and hope to see you in Singapore next year!

Pat

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 8:22 am

i couldn't agree with u more !
Hope to see u too next yr then...

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

two

Postby Scorpion » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 4:22 am

Then i 2 agree with u guys..

c'ya next year :cool:

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 2:27 am

oh and anjin-san...
please do tell us when u finally made it all the way...
i appreciate it...

thanx alot!