Singapore Expats Forum

relocation expenses

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jeffery Duncan

relocation expenses

Postby Jeffery Duncan » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 7:57 am

My company has offered me a job in Singapore. I live in the US now. I will be selling all of my stuff so I will have to buy new or used.
So I have a few questions for you guys.
I am being offered 2900US a month for my wife and 2 kids. I believe this is a good price but not sure about price range that I should consider for houseing. Also is it standard business pratice for the company to offer a relocation expense package to help in buying new things such as beds, tv, dvd players, furniture and such.
Last question is what would cable tv and electric bill be a month.
This is a fairly small company so I am keeping that in mind.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 1:52 pm

"Relaocation help" is NOT standard at all. So you cannot really demand that they help you with relocation. it's at the company's disgression.

CableTV and cable internet will be about 160 SGD a month (about 100 USD), and electricity will depend on the size of apartment/house you rent. I'd plan in about 150-250 SGD per month since you're living with your family.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 1:31 am

I've just been to the starhub website..
It says something about the internet for student plan...should costs about sgd20...is it adequate?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:00 am

cygnus1 wrote:I've just been to the starhub website..
It says something about the internet for student plan...should costs about sgd20...is it adequate?

It's pretty slow, and it's for students only. :P
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 8:26 am

thanks 4 the info bremen.

Which plan r u suggesting now?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:57 am

cygnus1 wrote:thanks 4 the info bremen.

Which plan r u suggesting now?

I'd take any of the standard starhub plans.

- Terry Pratchett

rachel.molyneux

relocation expenses

Postby rachel.molyneux » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 7:59 am

I'd ask for more help if i was you, i thought it was standard that expats get a lot of help with houses, school fees, etc etc. We couldn't go if we didn't have the company backup.
There is a place that rents funiture out to expats, its cheaper than buying. I think its actually called expat funiture rental. The manager is a helpful guy, we are hiring some stuff from him.
I hope it goes well for you. :)

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 6:06 pm

I'm an Brit but came from US to Sing - S$8000 relocation and 75% of housing up to S$1800 per month
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.