Singapore Expats Forum

The first real frost..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

The first real frost..

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 3:20 am

Hey Everyone

Nothing to reply to but thought I'd just tell you that tonight is the first real night of winter here. The moon is half full, sky cloudless and starry and it's freezing cold.

That damned hedgie has been at my rubbish bags outside and I don't care cos it's like a fast food place for him on this chilly night.

If I say I can smell the winter, will anyone else know what I mean.

Isn't nature wonderful?

Peace man, far out and other daftisms from me...

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 4:50 am

Hey Bubbs,

I have a fair idea of what you mean by being able to smell the winter, although today is glorious because the sun is out (oh how I love glorious sunshine, it makes the cold so much more tolerable and everyone seems to have such a positive reaction to it especially coming up to the the long bleary days of winter ahead).

I have just accomplished some house cleaning and I feel so much better for it and the house and freshly polished wood just smell great too. Why, I might even pat myself on the back for it!! :wink:
One man's meat is another's poison.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 8:02 am

Methinks Bubbles has a topic for a new thread. There are quite a few Singaporeans who have never been to a cold climate and life here in winter is a big mystery to them. Myself, I have philippino friend who wonder how I survive the cold winter months since cold to them is when temperatures are still around 30 degrees.

Let you take the lead on this one Bubbles.

Plavt.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:12 am

Hey Bubbs!

Always love your posts. Last year at this time, when the Baileys were living in the US, we had the same trouble -- but with raccoons. At least we thought so, we never actually saw them. We'd awaken to the clattering of trash cans at god knows what hour, run outside in the freezing cold, in the middle of the night wearing very little indeed, (my husband with his trusty weapon, a Louisville Slugger. Yes, best not mess with the Baileys... ) Circle the driveway a few times, clean up the mess, baracade it a little better and repeat the same exercise at least once a week.

You may ask, where are the dogs while you defend your home and garbage against threatening raccoons? Well, the answer is asleep inside, the terrier is a brilliant watch dog but 1/2 the size of an adult racoon -- the lab is useless having no 'survellance skills' whatsoever.
:)

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 4:04 pm

It's Monday morning, here I am at my desk in my office (at home) pretending to be 10 again, to write stories. It's a funny life. The grass outside is pure white with crispy frost, I've been out to collect my milk and all the cars are covered with frost too. The sun is shining and the path to my door is glittering like a billion diamonds. There's that winter, snow, smell and it's totally silent out there. Just a few seagulls squawking their seagull song....bet they sound the same the world over. We are so lucky to be alive, have eyes, and so today......I'm being blah blahish and just writing nothing much to everyone,...........sort of a 'Thank God I'm alive' and sending good vibes out to everyone.........hope you catch them.

Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 4:59 pm

Would you rather be too hot or too cold?

Personally I would rather be too hot, but I think it maybe because I am originally from a cold climate. My hypothesis is this: People form hot climates would prefer to be too cold & vice versa.

So which would you rather be?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 5:17 pm

I had a lovely walk to the station this morning at 6.45am, cllear blue sky and a white frost on the ground.

I personally love the 4 seasons we have over here and was probably the one thing I really missed while living in SIngapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 5:58 pm

Bubbles wrote:.sort of a 'Thank God I'm alive' and sending good vibes out to everyone.........hope you catch them.

yup, it's catching bubbs, thanks! and now i miss those uk winters...

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 6:36 pm

I miss the seasons as well, but wouldn't prefer the cold climes (maybe, for a couple of days), so your hypothesis is incorrect Baron!

Bubbs, you have such a way with words, always paint a pretty picture. :)
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 8:12 pm

Bubbs, I LOVE winter and all those things that come with it. I miss winter and all those things that come with it--crunching snow, slipping and sliding along, snowball fights, snow angels, scraping the frost off the windscreen, bundling up in layers, seeing your breathe while you're outside....I could go on. I HATE the humidity and constantly being wet from perspiration. Enjoy it for us, Bubbs!! I wish I was there along side with you!!! :D

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:42 pm

Winter has come upon us here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, US as we pack our bags to head out to Sg in 2 weeks. It is sad to think that we won't be able to take our kids tobagonning again. And that they won't be helping shovel the snow out of our driveway after a snowstorm :) Glad to hear that SG has an ice-skating rink, though.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:50 am

Ooh...all those snowy things sound nice but what about the having to get out of bed in the freezing cold, getting out of the shower and shivering, getting in the shower and shivering even though the water is scolding hot, the cold wet rain, the wet windy days, the cold dark days, going to work (school) in the dark and coming home in the dark...right now its nice to have 32 every day....even though talking about the weather is somewhat boring! :P

English Cup of Tea

Re: The first real frost..

Postby English Cup of Tea » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 6:57 am

Bubbles wrote:Nothing to reply to but thought I'd just tell you that tonight is the first real night of winter here. The moon is half full, sky cloudless and starry and it's freezing cold.

I remember working for an old farmer when I was a kid in Lancashire and he always said our first frosts of the year were typically on around the middle weekend of September, and the last one around the middle weekend in May. It was incredible how accurate this turned out to be over the years.

Much later I read that it was well documented that the first and last frosts would fall around this time, and as this time usually associated with a full moon, clear skies etc. I guess it often falling on a weekend was pure coincidence (43% odds if you consider Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights as being weekend).

Maybe the later first frost this year is a sign of global warming, though I also guess if you live further south in UK or near the coast (you mentioned seagulls) then the frosts would typically be later.

Don't you think a nice cuppa always tastes so much nicer on cold days such as these?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: The first real frost..

Postby Global Citizen » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 7:31 am

English Cup of Tea wrote:Don't you think a nice cuppa always tastes so much nicer on cold days such as these?

Couldn't agree more but its more like a nice cuppa Masala tea for me or freshly brewed coffee to warm up. Nothing like it.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 2:58 am

Wednesday night at 7pm. Nearly Coronation Street time....yippee. Yes I know a sensible (huh?) girl like me shouldn't be watching Corrie, but I love it, it's almost a pantomime.

The moon is nearly full, no clouds and it is FREEZING here. No, honestly. The central heating is on full, have the fire going too, and am now going to have chicken and chips for dinner.

Yes, we know how to live international jetset lives here in rural Wales..hahaha.

AND I'm going to eat a Marks and Spencer's lemon cake for afters, so there..........well, it's winter and I need an extra layer on the old bod.

Night, Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.