Singapore Expats Forum

US Education

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:37 am

Don't take it personal Wind...

Enunciating would mean you explain a theory, whereas preaching, it simply would mean you would want to convince others of your belief in the religion imho.

I am not saying it is the latter, I am asking you which one. As you say it is explaining, I think you mean enunciating a theory then?

If you would get too personally (or emotionally) involved, my guess is it would turn into preaching (or at least be perceived like that).

Eric

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:36 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:WIMH, I am also Catholic. I understand your frustrations. Imagine being Christian and American! Most people would believe I am a southern baptist, bible thumping, gun toting redneck -- when in fact I am just the opposite. I would certainly hope that SE simply forgot to include the word 'fundamentalists' when he mention Christains.

i hope so too. and yes, isn't it funny how people expect us to be scientifically challenged the moment we admit to being christian? frustrating and funny at the same time.

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:If you would get too personally (or emotionally) involved, my guess is it would turn into preaching (or at least be perceived like that).

no no, eric. why would i preach to you and submit to the risk that you would be converted and hence become one of us? we are too exclusive for that! :P

ok seriously now. why is it that when i 'enunciate' my views on relationships, politics, economics and other topics, it's fine. but when i clarify my views on religion it is perceived as 'preaching'? perhaps it's because some just don't like hearing about religion? i don't know.

anyway back to the topic. i did say that i agree that teaching ID as science is a problem. but as a philosophy there is good reason for teaching ID so perhaps the schools in the US just need to get that difference clarified? (not 'preached' eric, just 'clarified'. :wink: )

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Re: US Education

Postby sapphire » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:47 am

ringo100 wrote:Extract from BBC:

Teachers (in Kansas) have been ordered to tell pupils that Darwin's theory of evolution is unproven, and that the universe is so complex that it may have been created by a higher power.

"This is a great day for education"

Steve Abrams
Chairman, Kansas Board of Education

Is this pure madness or is it me? Education about 150 years out of date. I suppose next it will be the sun goes round the earth.

One word: Ridiculous! :roll:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:56 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I would certainly hope that SE simply forgot to include the word 'fundamentalists' when he mention Christains.

Yes, I should be clear here. It is a minority of fundamentalist, extremists who are pushing for this kind of change, prayer in schools, discimination against gays, and many other issues that they have managed to divine from their interpretation of the bible.

Most all of the Christians I know practice their faith for their own spiritual needs. Only a few decide that they need to force others into their beliefs. If these folks want their children to believe in "intelligent design", then I suggest the supper table is a good place to start, not the science classroom.

Cheers.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: US Education

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:19 pm

sapphire wrote:One word: Ridiculous! :roll:

sapphire, i'm appalled.

that was THREE words! :P

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:32 pm

Meet me and you won't be able to shut me up. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:35 pm

:D :D :D

can second that one... :wink:

Eric

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:38 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:can second that one... :wink:

stop preaching, eric. :P :lol:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 1:07 pm

I heard that in some schools in America (I guess we are in the bible belt somewhere) not only do they not teach evolution but Harry Potter is banned as it promotes witchcraft etc..

no commet just a heavy *sigh* :cry:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 1:56 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:can second that one... :wink:

stop preaching, eric. :P :lol:

you smart*ss... :wink:

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 2:03 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote::D :D :D

Eric

Thirds ... :D :D :D :D

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 2:29 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
you may dislike me for who i am, but please don't dislike me for who i am not. just as there are americans and then there are americans, there are christians and then there are christians. don't judge one specific group based on the excesses of another.

Admirably put.

Best,

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 2:31 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Most people would believe I am a southern baptist, bible thumping, gun toting redneck -- when in fact I am just the opposite.

What? No gun? :shock: :D

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 2:40 pm

Varun, just for you:

:shooting:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 3:05 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote::D :D :D

Eric

Thirds ... :D :D :D :D

Hey now, wait a minute! You all got your fair share of yakking. If I remembercorrectly, I was later being accused of being too quiet! Get a little honest here and people pounce on ya. Not fair! :(