Singapore Expats Forum

Broadband: Singtel vs. Starhub

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ZZOOzzoo

Broadband: Singtel vs. Starhub

Postby ZZOOzzoo » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:49 pm

As my family's moving out of Serviced Apartment soon I need to decide which ISP I should go with. Since my family's internet use is quite heavy, I'm going to subscribe to the top-end service. Currently, the fastest Singtel offers is 25mbps and Starhub offers 30mbps, and Singtel one is a bit pricier than the Starhub despite the speed differences.

I guess there shouldn't be too much difference between 30mbps and 25mbps, so what I'm looking for is reliability, trustability and customer service.

What ISP are you currently subscribed to, and how do you find them? Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:23 pm

Currently using Starhub, no real complaints though I found the Singtel sales staff to be chummier when looking. Despite what people say, you probably wouldn't find a huge difference between cable and DSL. I'd say go for the package that gives you the most flexibility or "freebies" and if you are planning to get payTV, Starhub is the only only logical choice really.
some signatures are more equal than others

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Cable

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 1:38 am

I am also using the starhub c.broadband, no problems in terms of speed. there are 2 speeds Http used for browsing pages and Ftp for file downloading an uploading.

Starhub cable is more faster with the Ftp as it has more bandwidth but the webpage loading is a slightly lesser then the singtel.

6 months back starhub has upgraded its current bandwith called as Ultimate pack, which is the top most surfing for any home usage to be given in singapore.

Only thing singtel gets down is the customer support as the maintenance of ADSL modem are been lessed to a 3rd party company who had to be contacted for any technical support. gets a little bit messy there.

cheers :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Postby uncle_james » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 1:54 am

hoho... look up the singtel promotion
http://www.singnet.com/promotions/promo3500.asp
(Free ipod Nano 4GB + Free First 3 month)

and here is the promotion from StarHub
http://www.starhub.com/online/promotion ... index.html

I using Singnet, but not quite happy with their technical support when i recently rellocating my house.

however, i dun think you need their support all the time, just properly one or two at the beginning
: )

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Re: Cable

Postby uncle_james » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 1:55 am

Scorpion wrote:Only thing singtel gets down is the customer support as the maintenance of ADSL modem are been lessed to a 3rd party company who had to be contacted for any technical support. gets a little bit messy there.

no wonder... :x
: )

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Singtel

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:46 pm

uncle_james wrote:I using Singnet, but not quite happy with their technical support when i recently rellocating my house.

however, i dun think you need their support all the time, just properly one or two at the beginning

Yup i do agree that the technical support is not so frequent, but ADSL modem are not quiet easy to be installed on own. so we still depend upon the company. And any conflicts with the company .. will not involve singtel as per the agreement :oops:

But i feel that the cable modem are easy to install and easy to shift around.

cheers :)
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 5:09 pm

Using Singnet and quite ok with it... I guess I'm just easily pacified... :roll:

For Starhub, I might have to install another socket later as the pc may be moved upstairs to my sister's room... which is more troublesome and costs more $$$ so... thus chose Singnet...

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:11 pm

Starhub charges you $150 to install a new cable point, getting a wireless set up would probably stretch your dollars more.
some signatures are more equal than others

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Starhub

Postby Scorpion » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 4:40 am

Yup madwolfie, its good to have singtel in home. being different is always good.. :wink:

Is the ADSL an wirless router built in, its same with the singtel line. if you want to move the ADSL to another place that would again cost some $$ to lay the connection point.

Anyway nowdays the wirless setup makes it cable free but introducing loop holes :cool:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:24 am

As it is connected via phone line, there is no hassle of "weak" connection if we move the PC upstairs.

Wireless, however, may not be as good if you are not using it on the same level. (At least, that's what the service providers had advised me while I was scouting around)

In any case, ADSL or not. Its a 2-in-1 kind of modem. So I could always configure it back to wireless if need be... :lol:

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Postby Scorpion » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 2:22 am

madwolfie wrote:As it is connected via phone line, there is no hassle of "weak" connection if we move the PC upstairs.

So what about if you dont have a telephone line socket layed in the room where you move the PC.

Still need $ r $$ . :twisted:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:43 am

Scorpion wrote:So what about if you dont have a telephone line socket layed in the room where you move the PC.
Still need $ r $$ . :twisted:

:lol: I'm pretty fortunate to have a dad who's a "handyman" He kind of does wonders and could pull off rabbits from his trick hat... :wink:

Pinchy

Re: Broadband: Singtel vs. Starhub

Postby Pinchy » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:38 pm

ZZOOzzoo wrote:I guess there shouldn't be too much difference between 30mbps and 25mbps, so what I'm looking for is reliability, trustability and customer service. Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

To be honest, there isn't much difference between Star Hub's 30mbps and their 2mbps when you're connecting to the real world. It doesn't matter if you can download off their Singapore sever at megabit rates if they have nothing you want. My old 2mbps connection in the UK was faster than anything I've used in Singapore. Starhub, Singtel and Pacnet just pretend they have superfast connections but it's all local bandwidth only, international bandwidth sucks bigtime.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Faster

Postby Scorpion » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 3:33 am

Yup pinchy, do accept with your argument.

But the thread was an suggestion to choose any one of the service providers inside singapore. And as you say nothing is an real time connection everything varies on to the peak and non-peak traffics in the real world.. :twisted:

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Faster

Postby Scorpion » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 3:34 am

Yup pinchy, do accept with your argument.

But the thread was an suggestion to choose any one of the service providers inside singapore. And as you say nothing is an real time connection everything varies on to the peak and non-peak traffics in the real world.. :twisted: