Singapore Expats Forum

What kind of job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

nd_tan

What kind of job

Postby nd_tan » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 7:56 pm

I am a male,21. Indonesian. I am in Singapore and trying to find a job in here. I just graduated from a university in Jakarta, and have no working experience. My major is Information System. I understand some programming language such as VB, C++, ASP but i only know the basic of them.
What kind of job can i do? I also plan to find some courses to polish my programming language when i work.
Now i am learning English in here and I have a student pass. Can i change my pass immidiately to employment pass if I already got the job?

Thanks a lot.

Rgrds.

Yanto

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

In SG

Postby Scorpion » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 8:14 pm

Hi nd_tan, the basic points to get your E.pass approved is a good education from a reputed university and atleast an basic working experience.

So without any working experience there shall be lots of conflicts. So if you are on a student pass you have a option to work.

For that you need to get an letter of consent from your college and submit it with your employment letter. then you are allowed to work but with some restriction like how many hours you can work for the day/week/month etc. Need to get more details from the ministry of manpower regards this.

There are no tax for the amount you earn.

cheers :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Postby uncle_james » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:51 am

some correction, you still have to pay taxes once you are employment pass holder, but you will be exempted if your income lower than 22K a year

look at here : http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/iit/ii ... .1+faq.asp

Nobody is born with computer language expertise, so, you can look up for those smaller size of IT company (SME), where they usually willling to take in freshman, and provide on the job training, which i think is a good chance to practice & enhance your IT knowledge.

Job Looking Site:
1. http://www.jobstreet.com.sg
2. http://www.jobsdb.com.sg

However, small firm usually can't provide better salary but with better chance to learn things, and the job scope is quite widely define (One Leg Kicking)

Good luck!!!
: )

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Postby uncle_james » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:56 am

Further Info:

EP is apply for those monthly salary with 2.5K and above (exlcuding allowance). And a yearly fee of SD30 is applicable

Other than this income, you are only eligible for Work Permit (WP), which you have to pay from SD30 up to few hundred every month depending on which sector are you in.

Like construction sector, you have to paid SD300 at least
However, IT sector should be just SD30 every month.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:56 pm

uncle_james wrote:some correction, you still have to pay taxes once you are employment pass holder, but you will be exempted if your income lower than 22K a year

I was not mentioning about the employment or work permit, it was the part time employment under student pass category.

uncle_james wrote:Nobody is born with computer language expertise, so, you can look up for those smaller size of IT company (SME), where they usually willling to take in freshman, and provide on the job training, which i think is a good chance to practice & enhance your IT knowledge.

Yes i fully agree with you but for applying an work permit with a minimal salary of 1,800SGD the individual needs to show some experience in the field that he is to be employed and the employer needs to provide reasons why the candidate can be choosen instead of an singaporean as there are lot of freshers coming out of the university every year.

cheers :)
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Postby uncle_james » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:54 pm

i dun think nd_tan is looking for part-time job...

Yes i fully agree with you but for applying an work permit with a minimal salary of 1,800SGD the individual needs to show some experience in the field that he is to be employed and the employer needs to provide reasons why the candidate can be choosen instead of an singaporean as there are lot of freshers coming out of the university every year.

is true to have 1.8K of salary to get a WP,
but there is a lots of agents who can help you on this
i'm sure most of the employer got the "lobang"

more information on WP:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/InformationOnWorkPermit/

doesn't mean to offend, if i'm the employer, i would rather to get foreign worker, reason:
1. CPF contribution (if the worker is not PR)
2. more dedicated for work (I not saying singaporean not dedicated for work, but foreign worker ok to work for longer hour)

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 8:36 pm

Just to make it clear, the work permit itself separates into 2 categories. one is for the skilled that the old Q2 types of passes are classified into these with a minimum required skill, education, working background and salary level.

Next is the semiskilled, that falls mainly into construction, domestic and industry

Described at the MOM site.

Unskilled or semi-skilled foreign workers who wish to work in Singapore must apply for Work Permits in accordance with the Employment of Foreign Workers Act. Work Permits are generally issued according to industrial sectors such as the construction, non-construction and domestic sectors. Information on Work Permits relevant to each of these sectors is available in the following categories:

So the IT professional are skilled workers but because of the low salary limit sgd1800-2500 they are classified into work permit category.

cheers :)

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Postby uncle_james » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 2:01 am

what if the employer only offer salary less than 1.8K?
would it still consider eligible for Q2 pass?
or have to pay for levey?

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Postby Scorpion » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 4:22 am

uncle_james wrote:what if the employer only offer salary less than 1.8K?
would it still consider eligible for Q2 pass?
or have to pay for levey?

Mostly the guidelines are made by the goverment. If the employer gives more pressure this goes on an heavy screening regards the employer and candidate requirement.

If they do reject, normal procedure is they dont give any reason at all. If the employer does an re-appeal without any justification then they are black marked :(