Singapore Expats Forum

NTUC Shopping Carts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

NTUC Shopping Carts

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 5:19 pm

Just got back from Festival Market (NTUC in Hougang). They have replaced all of their shopping carts with new aluminium ones (slightly smaller - used to get $450 in one basket now will only hold about $350).

After getting my cart about 1/3rd full I noticed it was getting rather hard to handle but it didn't dawn on me just yet. I went around a corner towing the cart as I sometimes do and almost wiped out an entire family with the damn thing. Then the dawn! all four wheels spin 360 degrees so when you try to make a turn you can't! The darn thing just goes straight as the cart just turns on it's own axis.

Once the cart was full, I managed to get someone to get the store manager (a rather roly-poly lady carrying like myself, an excess bit of weight). To try to expain to her what was an accident waiting to happen I just asked her if she would push my cart around following me for about 2 minutes. She said okay and away I went, her closely behind. Then I decided to make an abrupt left turn, and she took out about 30 cans off of the shelf and the end of the row. She understands the problem now. :mrgreen:

As I then explained, someone is going to get hurt by an out of control cart and will end up suing NTUC. She has assured me that she will pass the problem upwards. I told her to just do the same thing to them, they'll quickly grasp the problem. :mrgreen:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 5:31 pm

Waow, dangerous! Did you wear your helmet as in your avatar? :wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 5:36 pm

CD, where are you off to? Why do you need 'Godspeed'? Is it safe? Will you be able to check in while away?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 5:41 pm

I am leaving tonight to Europe, will stay for 2 weeks in Belgium, Holland and France.

'Godspeed'? Ask Vaucluse as I am not sure what he means (as usual).

And yes I should be able to check in, at least in the hotel :wink:

Time available might be a problem though.

Why such a concern? Want to know as well...

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 5:51 pm

Haven't you realised CD?, We all love you. :)

PS. Have a safe trip, you'll obviously miss us, but don't worry you'll survive. I did, so can you. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 6:16 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:I am leaving tonight to Europe, will stay for 2 weeks in Belgium, Holland and France.

'Godspeed'? Ask Vaucluse as I am not sure what he means (as usual).

And yes I should be able to check in, at least in the hotel :wink:

Time available might be a problem though.

Why such a concern? Want to know as well...

Well... I always count on you to be funny and well-balanced and insightful. That's a lot to miss, isn't it? Have a great time: I envy you the woolens you'll wear, fires you'll sit by, red wines you'll swirl around...

Gosh I can't wait to get home :-|

Safe, safe travels.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 6:19 pm

Godspeed means = have a successful journey . . .

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 6:28 pm

sapphire wrote:Haven't you realised CD?, We all love you. :)

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Well... I always count on you to be funny and well-balanced and insightful. That's a lot to miss, isn't it?

the gals said it for me. i will miss you too CD. :cry:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 7:20 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sapphire wrote:Haven't you realised CD?, We all love you. :)

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Well... I always count on you to be funny and well-balanced and insightful. That's a lot to miss, isn't it?

the gals said it for me. i will miss you too CD. :cry:

:oops:

:)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: NTUC Shopping Carts

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Just got back from Festival Market (NTUC in Hougang). They have replaced all of their shopping carts with new aluminium ones (slightly smaller - used to get $450 in one basket now will only hold about $350).

After getting my cart about 1/3rd full I noticed it was getting rather hard to handle but it didn't dawn on me just yet. I went around a corner towing the cart as I sometimes do and almost wiped out an entire family with the damn thing. Then the dawn! all four wheels spin 360 degrees so when you try to make a turn you can't! The darn thing just goes straight as the cart just turns on it's own axis.

Once the cart was full, I managed to get someone to get the store manager (a rather roly-poly lady carrying like myself, an excess bit of weight). To try to expain to her what was an accident waiting to happen I just asked her if she would push my cart around following me for about 2 minutes. She said okay and away I went, her closely behind. Then I decided to make an abrupt left turn, and she took out about 30 cans off of the shelf and the end of the row. She understands the problem now. :mrgreen:

As I then explained, someone is going to get hurt by an out of control cart and will end up suing NTUC. She has assured me that she will pass the problem upwards. I told her to just do the same thing to them, they'll quickly grasp the problem. :mrgreen:

H I L A R I O U S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :D :D :D :D

Sms, you made me cry for at least 10 minutes...

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:52 pm

SMS, did you ever sue McDonalds for their hot coffee? :) :)

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 7:30 am

Vaucluse that was totally unneccessary and quite inflamatory -- excuse the pun.

I do a tremendous amount of grocery shopping, both here and in the US. Carts in Singapore differ from carts in the US because they are basically 4 wheel drive, as opposed to front wheel drive like in the US, where the back wheels are fixed.

Each wheel moves independently here, so when more weight is in the cart (in SMS's case, all that beer...) you really have to fight (or as I have learned --like so many things -- it's in the positioning (I am speaking of course of yoga) to keep the thing on course.

When rounding a corner I would never tow the cart (oh the carnage!), but rather steer the whole thing from the back.

I would not hold my breath for a response from NTUC, perhaps I can give you the name of a reliable provisioner? :P

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:34 am

I always thought that shopping trolleys were built like that on purpose, i.e. that they were designed never to go around corners nor to go in the direction in which you want them to go!!! :wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:52 am

Well, flog me with an errant shopping cart wheel . . . :(

It's like the sun and the moon - they just are, one cannot hope to change all things in this world.

We all want world peace, an end to hunger, shopping trolleys that go where you point them and a cure for AIDS. . . . Alas, these are but unrealistic expectations.

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 4:45 pm

you really summed up the essence in life vaucluse... :D

Eric