Singapore Expats Forum

So are you getting a flu shot?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

So are you getting a flu shot?

Postby k1w1 » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 9:16 am

Alright, so we all know that I'm paranoid about bird flu after my first post. After having watched parts of the documentary the other night with some scaremongerer journalist (who actually SMILED when she said "one million people are expected to die"), I am now trying to weed out the facts from what sells papers, it appears that the WHO (I think?) are recommending people get their flu shots.

I hear that a lot of clinics are out of them, or are saying they are very low in stocks from the mad rush.

I don't normally get them done (believing a bit of a sniffly nose every year or so is not a bad thing, and I also don't spray anti-bacterial garbage all over my house every other day for the same reason: I think generally people need to be exposed to things *a bit* to build up some kind of immunity). However, this time, I'm thinking maybe I should at least drag the little k1w1s down...

So as a show of hands, are you guys going to get it done?

As an aside, I have a seven year old student who told me (with very wide eyes) yesterday that she is going on holiday with her parents at Christmas to Thailand, and is very worried they are all going to die from bird flu. Her teacher at school gave her a thermometer to check their temperatures, that way if they get a fever, they can then rush to a hospital. Was this kind of "hype the population" going on during SARS?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 9:26 am

I am blessed with a reasonably healthy family (except for Mr. Bailey who is very accident prone...)

We have never had flu shots. I too, believe we are sanitizing ourselves way, way too much. So many anti-biotics, hand sanitizers, anti-bacterial soap. This is a result of the climate of fear the media has created and pepetuated.

If you have somone who is young, or old or with a predisposition -- then by all means, get a flu shot. I don't mean to sound flippant or cavalier, but at some point you play the odds and get on with living.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:09 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I am blessed with a reasonably healthy family (except for Mr. Bailey who is very accident prone...)

We have never had flu shots. I too, believe we are sanitizing ourselves way, way too much. So many anti-biotics, hand sanitizers, anti-bacterial soap. This is a result of the climate of fear the media has created and pepetuated.

If you have somone who is young, or old or with a predisposition -- then by all means, get a flu shot. I don't mean to sound flippant or cavalier, but at some point you play the odds and get on with living.

Ditto . . .

'nuff said Image

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:52 am

Vaccination against the "normal flu" will not prevent you from getting avian flu.

The only positive fact is that you could protect other people.

Because, in case you get infected by both viruses at the same time, this would prevent further mutation of the avian flu virus.

This is the main concern at the moment.
The avian flu virus is quite lethal but cannot be easily transmitted (transmission from human to human is at the moment still questioned).
The "normal flu" virus is less lethal but easily transmissible.
So the risk is to see the avian flu virus mutate into a easily transmissible form.

I know some people talk about million of people who will die (may be they are the same who predicted million of dead from the mad cow disease, in case you forgot...)

Still, please note that avian flu has killed about 100 people over the last years while "normal" flu kills from 500,000 to 1 million people EVERY YEAR.

I don't say that you should not be concerned.
I say you should not panic.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Re: So are you getting a flu shot?

Postby uncle_james » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 8:43 pm

k1w1 wrote:"one million people are expected to die"

we all going to die one day later
so, be relax ...

however, there is not really neccessary to get a flu shot,
unless you scare on this

chances you killed on other cause could be much higher than avian flu

More importantly is to increase your body immunity, such as
1. having enough sleep
2. drink more water
3. have regular meal plus lots of fruits & vege everyday
4. regular excercise
5. clean up your air-con
: )

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:53 pm

Uncle James is right! You're turning out to be a very valuable abd credible contributor, UJ. :wink:

'nuff said Image

Saint
Director
Director

Re: So are you getting a flu shot?

Postby Saint » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 6:43 pm

uncle_james wrote:
we all going to die one day later
so, be relax ...

however, there is not really neccessary to get a flu shot,
unless you scare on this

chances you killed on other cause could be much higher than avian flu

Totally agree with you. Towards the end of SARS, the then Mrs Saint to be took a trip to UK. She took all the relevant precautions before flying etc. My brother, who had a 1 year old at the time was a bit worried about meeting up with Mrs S so called up the NHS helpline and suggested maybe not to have contact for 2 weeks!

This started a rather heated telephone conversation (couldn't meet up as I might have already been infected!) which ended up me mentioning double decker buses etc etc.

As for flu jabs, the only time I had one was about 10 years ago and I ended up having a week off with mild flu for the 1st and only time ever!!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 9:41 pm

I got my shot lah...

(Or was that shot at :???: )