Singapore Expats Forum

Nomination for the most bizarre conversation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:57 pm

You are an ill man to find things like this . . .

excerpts:

I dunno, mine is smooth? Depends how you define smooth, I suppose. I've been sitting here touching it for the last couple of minutes, thanks to you. It's got tastebuds, but it's probably smoother than the skin on my hand.

i have a scar on my tounge, so mine isn't normal.

Well, my tongue is rougher than the back of my hand. It's rougher than almost all my skin, but it's pretty smooth. It's kinda got tastebuds, though only a few big bumps. I think the bumps are scars from when I stabbed a fork through my tongue on accident...

It's a whole subculture out there that is quite terrifying . . .

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 4:15 pm

Wham wrote:Actually, it may sound cute and fun to say an appreciation of physical beauty is shallow, but it is definitely wrong - and one might even say quite shallow. We all consciously act to seek out mates with certain qualities such as good brains, good education, a healthy and compatable personality etc, but we are also genetically programmed to seek out beauty. Beauty is a reflection of good genetics and good health. There have been many studies about facial and overall physical proportions that define a "pleasing appearance" - most recently there was a show about this on the BBC. (The part of the show on the divine proportion of .618 was particularly fascinating) Of couse we balance out the value of these various attributes in the back of our minds when evaluating a mate - and physical beauty is often trumped by a dark soul - but nevertheless - we are ALL programmed to respond the subtle (and not so subtle) cues of beauty.

Umm...so you're basically objecting to the use of the word shallow? I did go on to add the following- More beautiful people in the world, good for us as well eh? More eyecandy. I have no rigid stand on cosmetic surgery, each to his/her own. Go and change yourself from head to toe for all I care. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 5:38 pm

I agree with many on here, some with opposing views on this subject, but that's the joy of being a woman, hey hey, we can see more than two sides to every discussion.

But seriously, this subject goes deeper than a poke of fun at people looking for new cosmetic treatments, doesn't it?

Whether we find the discussion shallow, or scientifically inclined I think we all know that beauty counts, in one way or another. We would be lying if we did not acknowledge the fact that we find the sight of a really good looking human being of definite interest to us, and that, all things equal, we would chose to be part of that beauty rather than to be part of a lesser 'look.'.....I mean, we would rather be like it, or mate with it, or emulate it.

It really is true that there are facial dimensions which are more pleasing to everyone, and these are all based on symmetry. They have done experiments and even tiny babies respond to this evenness.

Of course, we are born with reasoning abilities too, and these kick in and give us our sense of where we belong in the pecking order. It is no joke, and there really are Alpha Males out there, along with Top Females, at any stage of life.

It all boils down to what we've been given by means of a value of self perception by our carers, family, etc., as we grow up, plus of course, the environment we grow into.

Yes, advertising and media shove images of these beautiful bods at us, but the urge to be more beautiful would be with us even if we lived in an isolated tribe in the Amazon. They too have ceremonies to beautify, objects the wear, body painting, beauty treatments.

It's inside our genes to strive to present the best parcel to the world, even if it only takes the form of lippy, or hair gel, or good clothes, or better education, or succeeding in sport. All our efforts at mostly everything are to give us a better place in life.

Of course, it would be wonderful to think that all this life is about is others accepting us for how we really are.....but striving to 'better' ourselves (whatever form it takes) IS how we really are.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

varun
Regular
Regular

Re: Nomination for the most bizarre conversation

Postby varun » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 6:15 pm

Vaucluse wrote:The dark side strikes again - after eyelid-tuck-doubling-hiding and nostril-liposuction, here comes: EYELASHES (sic) IMPLANTS

Ha! This doesn't even come CLOSE to the one on masturbation. The drivel there is simply unbelievable...

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 7:54 pm

And the reason, Varun, that you are reading the thread on masturbation is?
(It's always the quiet ones - V, our carsalesman (graduated from the used car section, V? :) looks so dapper and neat . . . .)

'nuff said Image

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:51 pm

With a topic title like that... 'nuff said. You going to the WNDC? I'm thinking I'll drop in for a bit.

- V.

Vaucluse wrote:And the reason, Varun, that you are reading the thread on masturbation is?
(It's always the quiet ones - V, our carsalesman (graduated from the used car section, V? :) looks so dapper and neat . . . .)
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:42 am

Hmm, V - still don't see why it would seem attractive . . . :D

WNDC - can't as my FiL is in town . . . . I'll PM you as there is something planned for later

'nuff said Image

sxq156284

Postby sxq156284 » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 5:25 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D