Singapore Expats Forum

Nomination for the most bizarre conversation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 1:18 am

A word from a sneaky darkside reader......come on you lot....not sucking up to Pal here, honest, but some peeps really do need advice on that sort of stuff....

OK, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but live and let live......

Yes, some of the stuff they do nowadays....bum implants, hand fat grafts (case you've got old looking hands) designer vaginas....(making certain parts littler...don't ask)....are very weird....

But, I have a friend who had her boobs done...(not moi, would go other way if anything...)....and she was really unhappy with herself previously....two fried egg job.....but her proper BUPA surgeon here did a fabulous job, not too big, nowhere near small, and I've seen them, and believe me, they look totally normal, you'd never guess. (Under armpit scar).....right, now you'll say.....'Shallow person to have it done' but for her it was a good thing. She's not turned out to be a raving nympho since she's had them, just far more confident.....

There's a limit, I grant you, but where do we draw it......at not correcting wonky teeth???? After all, it's not life threatening, just cosmetic......at colouring hair????.....at getting varicose veins done......at removing fat from around young men's breasts ...yes it does happen, and they're embarrassed.....at having a humungous nose redone???.....

I'm not for gratuitous surgery, and would always try to assure peeps they looked fine.....but if someone said to me, 'I have the money, my nose (breasts, bum, teeth)has always bothered me, should I get it done?' I'd say, 'Sure, if that's what you want' ....then I'd shut up about it, cos after all, if it is just one thing, not a list of face/eyes/head/nose/boobs/but/legs/teeth/hair....then as long as we don't push the merits of falseness into peoples faces, let them do it I say.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 8:55 pm

She's not turned out to be a raving nympho since she's had them, just far more confident.....

You say it like it's a bad thing.
some signatures are more equal than others

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:33 pm

Bubbles quoted:
designer vaginas
:o :o :o

'nuff said Image

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:37 pm

It was the fat implants in the hands that got me... :?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:54 pm

Guys have fatties in their hands all the time.
some signatures are more equal than others

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:37 am

Right now..........cross your heart, hope to die.........tell the truth...........

If you had tons of cash, and no one would ever guess....i.e..no visible scars etc......is there NOTHING....and I mean nothing....you'd get done on the sly, perhaps when older? Cosmetic surgery wise I mean?????

Perhaps some botox? Or line filler? Or if you were going bald, hair weave or transplant???? Or whitening your teeth....???.....

OK, some things would be obvious, like massively bigger boobs, or appearing 20 years younger after a 'holiday' in Thailand, or something.....but really.........folks.............do you honestly and truly think cosmetic surgery is the work of the devil, or that it demeans those who have it?

The only thing I'm dead against is when folk try to change their ethnic look. I must say I find this double eyelid surgery being done over your way strange. Why the hell would someone try to lose that lovely chinese look? But even then, I wouldn't make fun of them. I'd try to talk them out of it, but hey, it's their life.

Never say never I say. Right now I'm ok....ish....(I don't scare the horses shall we say) but ask me again in ten of fifteen years and you may very well get a different answer.

And if we're going down this road of 'No Cosmetic Alterations' where do we stop?

At wonky teeth, as I asked before? At bent backs???...after all, people live with that, it's not life threatening....yes, in that case pain would be involved I guess....but if someone started getting a hump on their back, say, and it was not painful....should they get corrective surgery??....What about kids or adults with really sticky out ears? It's not life threatening.

Yes, kids are teased, but should we tell them 'Don't worry son, it's all part of life, you are beautiful, ignore them.' Of course we should, and do, but......you and I know this world is very cruel, and perhaps, for reasons of their own, psychological ones, this is what peeps who get their eyes, boobs, faces done for.....they feel different, or sad, or unhappy.

It's all about the level of perception of normalness we have about ourselves. It's a natural thing to want to look good, some people just take it further than others.. we are all different, and very lucky to look normal and to like ourselves enough not to want to pay zillions of dollars to change...........yet!!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:13 am

Honestly speaking Bubbs, I would never go for any cosmetic surgery at any age. I do understand that people from the world of movies and modelling need to do it, 'cause their face, their body sells, apart from acting that is. Ideally, I would love to have a longer nose, bigger boobs, better teeth etc., but I cannot see myself going through all that pain.

Again, I believe this is an issue of generation gap. With medical science as advanced as it is now, I understand the need of the younger generation to improve their physical appearance. If they have the means, then why not. More power to them! We all love beauty, as shallow as it may sound. More beautiful people in the world, good for us as well eh? More eyecandy. :)

I guess if I were 18, you would find me in the beauty section as well, discussing the joys of cosmetic surgery with passion. Then, Vaucluse would post my replies here too. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:19 am

Sapphire, fair opinion - however you go a bit far when you say "We all love beauty, as shallow as it may sound." You make it sound like there is something wrong OR SHALLOW about appreciating beauty.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:37 am

Just remember, beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes all the way to the bone. All the cosmetic surgery in the world won't cover up an ugly person. I still think WYSIWYG is the only way to go. Actor & Actresses, models, etc., etc., when you time is up it's up. One should plan ahead instead of snorting and drinking all the money during the heydays.

Sorry, I'm just against cosmetic surgery unless it is reconstructive surgery. :-|

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:41 am

did i miss something? what is WYSIWIG?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:43 am

WYSIWIG = What You See Is What You Get.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:47 am

To your reply SMS, all I will say is that you're old fashioned. Just like me. But I would not stop anybody from surgery, not if they have the means and other justification that goes with it.

Wham, as SMS said, beauty is skin deep, hence shallow? Makes any sense? :P

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:29 pm

Actually, it may sound cute and fun to say an appreciation of physical beauty is shallow, but it is definitely wrong - and one might even say quite shallow. We all consciously act to seek out mates with certain qualities such as good brains, good education, a healthy and compatable personality etc, but we are also genetically programmed to seek out beauty. Beauty is a reflection of good genetics and good health. There have been many studies about facial and overall physical proportions that define a "pleasing appearance" - most recently there was a show about this on the BBC. (The part of the show on the divine proportion of .618 was particularly fascinating) Of couse we balance out the value of these various attributes in the back of our minds when evaluating a mate - and physical beauty is often trumped by a dark soul - but nevertheless - we are ALL programmed to respond the subtle (and not so subtle) cues of beauty.

...and by the way - i like my crooked nose just the way it is. It balances out the one ear that is bigger than the other.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:38 pm

Wham wrote:...and by the way - i like my crooked nose just the way it is. It balances out the one ear that is bigger than the other.

I was going to mention something about that on Saturday, but you are evidently much stronger than I am, so I kept my mouth shut. Imagine all those problems and deformities and then Isabella is sooooooo gorgeous!!! (That will keep them guessing)

I don't think anyone is saying that malformations or the like should not be taken care of as they do have clear implications and repercussions on one's psyche. What I found odd/bizarre/sad about this thread was the obvious glee the ladies in question talked about things that they could do - not what they needed to do to, feel better. It was a matter of
'Hey, I heard about this treatment . . .' 'Wow, cool - let's do it'
We are talking about surgery here . . .

The talk about Chin from Malaysia, Eyes from Japan, Cheekbones from Taiwan, or wherever, sounds like they would have something done just because someone else had it done.

I suppose it all comes down to fragile egos.

Now, just one question for Wham, what does this sentence mean to you:

"and use my smooth tongue to 'psycho' u"

'nuff said Image

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 2:53 pm

I think i could write a book on the many various interpretations that have been bouncing around in my head...but i think it would be more fun to just assume the worst (think lettuce munching) and then go and visit the SMOOTH TONGUE web site:

http://www.golivewire.com/forums/topic.cgi?topic=99298