Singapore Expats Forum

Benefits of Alcoholic drinks

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 8:59 pm

Whew, talk about outer edge generalizations..........

Too damned right not all drinkers are alchoholics, in fact the vast majority of us who like a nice drinkie are just that.....peeps who like a drink.

I tell you why I like a drink......it relaxes you, it tastes nice, and it's a social thing. People CAN get together just for a few quick halves and enjoy themself without glassing others or being sick on the floor you know.

Yes, true though, that if a society tolerates excesses of one commodity why not another?

What you seem to miss is that it's the behaviour of the individual when under the influence of a substance which will still bring him/her into the law's eyes. Driving whilst UTI or operating machinery or causing public offray, all are against the law, so we do not totally tolerate the worst manifestations of inbibing drink.

Drugs, now that's another subject altogether. Pot is widely used in the UK, and apparently better tolerated than alcohol, but it's the law of the land which opposes it's use, and as such, we either abide by it, or get on the wrong side of the law if we don't. The only way out of this is to get a motion up and try to change the law.....it's been done many times, all without success. But......there is a more tolerant attitude now, here in the UK....I'm not saying there are not times you'd fall foul of the law, but it's more a case of being found in poss of a large amount, or with intention to supply etc. All very good reasons for getting done by the cops. The problem is with the harder stuff, Coke, Crack, E's etc. They cause mighty problems here, and everywhere. We'll soon have the debate that one leads to the other I suppose. I couldn't tell you as I'm one of those who talk about it but haven't done it, but I still hear about it.

All I'm saying is............moderation in all things. Yes, for sure, I'd like to see the whole drug culture wiped away from humanity, same for smoking....which has equally devestating effects, but who am I to talk, I enjoy a ciggie sometimes....so, each to his own, but don't offend anyone else.....tolerance in other words.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 9:03 pm

I meant imbibing....doh.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:30 pm

EADG wrote:
banana wrote:The government says smoking pot will turn me into a crazed axe murderer!

you look more like a coked-out raver

I don't like coke, just the smell of it.
some signatures are more equal than others

JayV

Re: Benefits of Alcoholic drinks

Postby JayV » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:25 am

bangladeshi_wonder wrote:May I ask all those alcoholics what are the benefits of alcoholic drinks?

For me, it's banned (or, haram) and I don't long for it either. But when I notice how alcoholics tend to be social pests, at least while they are drunk, I can't help but think there must be something seriously wrong with societies that permit such drinks to be consumed legally.

Most laws do require a minimum age for the consumption of alcohol. Can I assume it's harmful to children or teenagers then?

Fighting often breaks out in bars and/or pubs, or whatever (as I myself am not sure about the differences). What can be the benefits of having these establishments in the first place?

I'm sure those who're experienced alcoholics will know much better about its harmful effects.

I just can't help but ask what are the possible benefits of alcohol. Does anybody know?

Benefits of drinking are numerous, but you will never know. Just stay where you are, because it's probably too late for you to start.

Off topic: Many people who condemn drinking are heavy smokers, accoding to my experience. A double standard or what? "I am sure those who're experienced" chain smokers "will know much much better about its harmful effects."

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 1:16 am

banana wrote:
EADG wrote:
banana wrote:The government says smoking pot will turn me into a crazed axe murderer!

you look more like a coked-out raver

I don't like coke, just the smell of it.

what happened? you stopped dancing
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Re: Benefits of Alcoholic drinks

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 7:29 pm

JayV wrote:Benefits of drinking are numerous, but you will never know. Just stay where you are, because it's probably too late for you to start.

That's why I asked.

Off topic: Many people who condemn drinking are heavy smokers, accoding to my experience. A double standard or what? "I am sure those who're experienced" chain smokers "will know much much better about its harmful effects."

Off topic: I don't smoke either.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 8:36 pm

Bubbles wrote:I tell you why I like a drink......it relaxes you, it tastes nice, and it's a social thing. People CAN get together just for a few quick halves and enjoy themself without glassing others or being sick on the floor you know.

and here's why i like a drink... when i have insomnia about the only thing that puts me to sleep is a bailey's on the rocks. other than that it's just social drinking and seldom more than one glass for me. :)

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:11 pm

Oh FFS, you bunch of pansies, abit of alcamahol is not going to ruin you for life, make your goldfish blind or your brother physically attracted to your neighbour's pet chihuahua. Neither are smokes, wacky or otherwise.

People have been fckn with their minds, moods and environments since the dawn of time and we're here just fine. Even certain species of monkeys are known to seek out fermenting fruits for that lil bit of sparkle in their lives. Yes, they are "poisons" (don't get me started on the definition of poison), yes our bodies are not meant to process these chemicals but this is what causes evolution. Flesh based protein probably caused our once herbivourous ancestors to trip the fck out. Not to mention get a serious case of the runs.

You don't like meat, don't eat it. You don't like booze, don't drink it. You don't like smoke and I'm next to you, well tough. A bunch of humourless, masochistic fcktards scaring mindless cowards into voting a law or societal norm that life is meant to be dreary and kiss my buddhist ass.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:14 pm

:lol:

That's the most I have ever seen you write! You should do that more - you're a scream.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:22 pm

It's a Monday and the local 7E only have Pepsi. :(

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:28 pm

Somebody loves his booze and smokes. :lol: :cool:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:29 pm

I recant my previous accusation that Sapphire and bangladeshi-wanker are one and the same! Oh no - the plot is far more devious:

I present bangladeshi-banana!!!!!!

Go on, deny it. The more you deny it the more you will be digging your hole of guilt (damn, I sound like I have been reading dhaka-prat's rantings)

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:32 pm

Vaucluse, good thing you have a day job! :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Postby whatalark » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:33 pm

banana wrote:It's a Monday and the local 7E only have Pepsi. :(

Ha! Withdrawal symptoms, huh? So you get more verbose when you're sober?
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:38 pm

banana wrote:It's a Monday and the local 7E only have Pepsi. :(

for once i have to commiserate with banana. i kinda miss the 24-hr oddbins that you find in the uk. very handy for last minute gifts for parties and stuff. wish there were a few here.