Singapore Expats

Labour stuff

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Labour stuff

Post by Kimi » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:37 pm

Was wondering about how influential union here after watching the movie, Fast Food High on Hallmark channel.

Yeah I know I'm being boring watching heaps of movies on TV today. Heaps of reading and I like being multi-tasking :P

Anyways, back to the labour stuff, anybody care to talk about the labour law here as well perhaps?
Found an update on labour law in Japan like below, but I must admit I'm not familiar yet with the practices here.
The labour laws have been changed and the limitation of a contract has been changed from one year max to three years max, virtually across the board.

Before, the specialized fields were excluded from the one year limit provided the employment was centered on a goal specific basis.

The scope of that has been broadened, yet made with somewhat specific limitations that protect the rights of the employee rather than the company.

It seems this is a measurement to combat the dwindling working population and make the securing of work visas stabilized for a true shot at permanent residency.

I believe it is still the case that one cannot be dismissed simply because one refuses to sign a new contract. Nonetheless, it would still be a good idea to request a three year contract rather than a one year contract should the occasion arise particulary if the contract is needed for a work visa, as the goal is to have three year work visa rather than one year work visas continue to be the norm.

I have received word recently that an eikaiwa (English conversation school) employee is being forced to accept concurrent two month contracts. It is clearly an abuse.
BTW, MC, this is what I meant to see a movie that would make you think or ponder on something or feel inspired which I like, to have the feeling at least.