Singapore Expats Forum

If Heaven exists...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

If Heaven exists...

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 9:51 am

What would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

This question comes from a brilliant program in the US called Inside the Actors Studio with James Lipton. He typically ends the interview with a few different questions, this is one of them.

My answer would be: Come in! We've been waiting for you! Have a glass of champagne and a cigarette, while I call everyone together, they have all been waiting for you. Let's get this party started!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:31 am

good topic mary. reminds me of mitch albom's "the five people you meet in heaven" where the guy finally understands the meaning of his life and how it affected the lives of five other people.

i would like god to say: i'm going to watch the re-run of your life with you, where you will finally understand the meaning of it all, and answer any questions you may have. and after that, i'll show you how your life could have been different had you chosen a different path at each of the billion crossroads you came to. and finally, when you are at peace that you wouldn't have it any other way, your soul will find its rest.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: If Heaven exists...

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:34 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:The Pearly Gates?

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:a brilliant program in the US.

Are you talking about a different reality? :D

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:My answer would be: Come in! We've been waiting for you! Have a glass of champagne and a cigarette, while I call everyone together, they have all been waiting for you. Let's get this party started!

Makes it easier to accept the end of our existence on earth, absolutely.

I remember being a little Eric of about 7 years old, asking my mum one night: "mummie, when we die, is being dead like dreaming?"

She smiled and said that it is most likely not, but she would ask granddad once he would no longer be with us.

After granddad died, I was 22 years old back then, the first thing I asked my mum when we stood there at his funeral: "mum, ask granddad whether he is dreaming now."

Mum started laughing, while crying.

Just a story that came up, while reading your posting... :roll:

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:37 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:good topic mary. reminds me of mitch albom's "the five people you meet in heaven" where the guy finally understands the meaning of his life and how it affected the lives of five other people.

i would like god to say: i'm going to watch the re-run of your life with you, where you will finally understand the meaning of it all, and answer any questions you may have. and after that, i'll show you how your life could have been different had you chosen a different path at each of the billion crossroads you came to. and finally, when you are at peace that you wouldn't have it any other way, your soul will find its rest.

That was good read and your's was a good answer.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:39 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:My answer would be: Come in! We've been waiting for you! Have a glass of champagne and a cigarette, while I call everyone together, they have all been waiting for you. Let's get this party started!

I remember being a little Eric of about 7 years old, asking my mum one night: "mummie, when we die, is being dead like dreaming?"

She smiled and said that it is most likely not, but she would ask granddad once he would no longer be with us.

After granddad died, I was 22 years old back then, the first thing I asked my mum when we stood there at his funeral: "mum, ask granddad whether he is dreaming now."

Endearing little story, but not an answer to the question....

Eric

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:33 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:

Endearing little story, but not an answer to the question....

Eric

It is! I don't believe in this happening...

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:35 am

Can you not suspend your disbelief, even momentarily, to answer a hypothetical question?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:37 am

That's why I put it so indirect... :roll:

Let me think of a better contribution. I seem to disappoint you lately... :cry:

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:43 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Let me think of a better contribution. I seem to disappoint you lately... :cry:

Eric

Don't behave like a petulant child who has his hand caught in the cookie jar...

I don't mind occassional teasing, I have 4 older brothers after all. But the constant barage of anti-American sentiments does make me a bit wary. Don't you know how hard it is to be American these days?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:47 am

Dearest la Reinne, you yourself just wrote in one of your postings, you are so much a yankee?

Gotta deal with that reality, isn't it?

And remember it is the only little thing (except your snobbishness, but that I am as well, I have been told...) I could tease you with, for the rest you are 'perfecto'... :)

Eric

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:37 pm

I would like GOD to look at me, give me a reassuring smile, take my hand and lead me thru the pearly gates...and the warm welcoming smile would say 'Welcome home.No more pain..no more pain.' Just that smile,no words necessary.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:53 pm

Ok then,

I would like god to say to me: No entrance for you here yet, go back and live your life once more again.

I would fall on my knees and thank him for that.

Cannot imagine heaven would be any better than life on earth. :)

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 2:53 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Ok then,

I would like god to say to me: No entrance for you here yet, go back and live your life once more again.

I would fall on my knees and thank him for that.

Cannot imagine heaven would be any better than life on earth. :)

Eric

See? Now was that so hard... :)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 2:57 pm

Back-handed compliment aside, this I do not understand:

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Dearest la Reinne, you yourself just wrote in one of your postings, you are so much a yankee?

Yes, I am 100% yankee, born in the USA, a Yankee Doodle Dandy, a daughter of Uncle Sam...

:-k

Do you think I am ashamed of my nationality?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 2:58 pm

Tiki, your answer was great.