Singapore Expats Forum

Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sapphire
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2005

Postby sapphire » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 1:34 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
5 hours, driving on the National Highway 1 in California. Starved and thirsty,



. . . . and you call that a reason for 'eating' at Denny's?????? [-X

Quit picking on me! I'm still in a holiday mood, my 'nasty' avatar is yet to be unleashed!

Thanks for the support Ma'am Viceroy, I never did say Denny's was awesome. Serves the purpose though.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:32 pm

If we want to trash Denny's then I would also like to add my own favorite for trashing as well. iHOP's :evil:

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 7:03 am

SMS, I would tend to agree. I would always choose a small Mom & Pop place over a franchise -- always. But when its my son's turn to pick --he goes for iHOP.

Unlike Denny's they tend to be in more suburban settings at least in the northeast, so they don't have that element of danger. As far as I know they have never been accused of discriminating against minorities and the food is a little less grungy. Don't come near me with that whipped tiopping though.

I don't like Friendly's either. But have been known to stop at a Cracker Barrel while travelling :)

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Postby EADG » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:33 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:SMS, I would tend to agree. I would always choose a small Mom & Pop place over a franchise -- always. But when its my son's turn to pick --he goes for iHOP.

Unlike Denny's they tend to be in more suburban settings at least in the northeast, so they don't have that element of danger. As far as I know they have never been accused of discriminating against minorities and the food is a little less grungy. Don't come near me with that whipped tiopping though.

I don't like Friendly's either. But have been known to stop at a Cracker Barrel while travelling :)


HoJo
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 3:31 pm

No, No! Never Hojos!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:30 am

A few years back while visiting Singapore, we stayed at Westin hotel and liked the buffet spread. They have American, western and local food items. Since it is buffet-style, you can't expect cook-to-order quality. The breakfasts are not just for guests staying in the hotel. It is available to the public.

I used to get breakfast items from Denny's in Orchard, more than a 1.5 decade ago. Don't know if the quality has changed but find the quality of food in the Singapore's Denny's is better than the Denny's in the USA. I can say the same for Pizza hut and KFC. I always point that out to my husband that even with the same franchise, the food served here seem to be superior to the ones in the USA. Hubby gets pissed at times and retort sarcastically "yeah everything in Singapore is better than America".

Don't know if it is just me imagining it or they really use better quality ingredients in SG. But somehow, the food just taste better here. Perhaps someone who has worked in the restaurant industry in both countries can enlighten me.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 9:22 pm

earthfriendly wrote:A few years back while visiting Singapore, we stayed at Westin hotel and liked the buffet spread. They have American, western and local food items. Since it is buffet-style, you can't expect cook-to-order quality. The breakfasts are not just for guests staying in the hotel. It is available to the public.

I used to get breakfast items from Denny's in Orchard, more than a 1.5 decade ago. Don't know if the quality has changed but find the quality of food in the Singapore's Denny's is better than the Denny's in the USA. I can say the same for Pizza hut and KFC. I always point that out to my husband that even with the same franchise, the food served here seem to be superior to the ones in the USA. Hubby gets pissed at times and retort sarcastically "yeah everything in Singapore is better than America".

Don't know if it is just me imagining it or they really use better quality ingredients in SG. But somehow, the food just taste better here. Perhaps someone who has worked in the restaurant industry in both countries can enlighten me.


Tell you what earthfriendly, I agree 100%, I made a mistake of eating at BurgerKing in the US and thought I'd die. For a gastronomical grenade I kind of like Burger King here in Singapore (more than McD anyway) but the burger I had in the US - Yuks!

luvtea
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue, 11 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby luvtea » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:49 am

Ah I haven't tried good cajun food over here. Must try South Cove then.
I agree that the fast food in US taste quite crappy as compared to some Singapore ones. I had macdonalds once and it was nasty! Will make u lose any cravings for junk food.
I think singapore perhaps puts in abit more effort..hmm not sure.
I quite like Wendys salads. ah they should open one here!
Namaste..

Wham
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Wham » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:54 am

anyone ever try English fast food - like Wimpy's? It makes even the real crap American like say White Castle taste good. We got stuck once on the road in the uk and decided to try it - i couldn't beleive how bad it was - it was inetible.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 3:32 pm

I'd like to take my boy to the Carl's Jr. which opened here, does nayone know where it is??

Wham
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Wham » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 3:34 pm

i agree - hear it is good but could not find the location on the web or phone directory
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 3:40 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I'd like to take my boy to the Carl's Jr. which opened here, does nayone know where it is??



Fear not, gentle expats from the US of America, your fast food expert is on hand to guide you through the minefileds of inequity to the plain of the righteous:

Marina Park Mall

(happened to walk past a while ago . . . )
......................................................

'nuff said Image

bigcalin
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005

Postby bigcalin » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 3:41 pm

I think the building is called Marina Square....#01-202 (near the old taxi stand)

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 3:48 pm

bigcalin wrote:I think the building is called Marina Square....#01-202 (near the old taxi stand)



I stand corrected - thanks, bigcalin (big hug?)
......................................................



'nuff said Image

bigcalin
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005

Postby bigcalin » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 4:01 pm

quote] thanks, bigcalin (big hug?)[/quote]

Oui Monsieur =D>


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests