Singapore Expats Forum

Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 2:59 pm

Nice try.:P

Skiing off my 'to do' list for a few more years. Nasty car accident has left me with some hardware that must be babied. I'll stick to snowshoeing.

Have you hiked Mousilauke?

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 3:02 pm

oh... at least 6 times - maybe 7.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 3:22 pm

Ah Lau wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:No, please not another thread on the evils of Singlish. Haven't we flogged that dead horse long enough?

Vaucluse wrote:And thus died subtle humour . . . .

Subtle? That ship has definitely sailed....

You live in Singapore, it is part of its culture, whether you like it or not...

Eric

Eric, I know I live in Singapore, I know its part of the culture. I know! Thank you All-mighty Enlightener!

What I find tiresome is the way it is beaten to death on the forum. I have no problem that Singlish exists. None at all, in fact you are the one whinging here.

What is repetitive and inane is that we seem to not be able to move off the topic.

I thought we were talking about American breakfasts here? Not a deep discussion perhaps, but at least original.

Mary Hatch Back
You call Eh Lick almighty enlightener!!
Wah, what did he enlighten you on.... gave you tips on slimming?
My lictionary say almighty is like Omni Potent.... Like mighty Potent...used for the one in Heaven....not mere morsel of flesh like Ehlick as likeable as he is to you!
Oso.... Those who use singlish is not so un heliucated as you think they is..
They just look like that one.
But inside they cool like hell...many have masters degrees in English...they just paiseh(shy about displaying their abilities) hehe. Shy mah.... appear heliucated when everybody used Singlish is hyper sinful.. every body will drop their jaw and think where you from...... Chancery Lane or what....even those who stay there lie and say they come from Ang Moh Kio...sorry har... that town named after your kind.. see colonial influence also come into Hokien!! Aiyoyo!! What this world coming toooo.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wah lah! friend Ah Lau is back!

Why not post more often meh? :wink:

Eric

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 3:34 pm

ok, our American friends want us to stay on topic, so here's my 2 cents on a good breakfast.

Setting: bedroom, background music Luis Miguel, 'mis boleros favoritos'. Sitting in bed, big table in front to carry the tray of delicacies. On the tray there would be French toast (the version where it is fried / toasted in raw egg). Some nice refried mexican beans with mexican tortillas (must be fresh from a tortilleria) and of course.. eggs: fried with sunny side up.
Also some spring rolls with the sweet thai chili sauce. Fruit salad, preferably a thai spicy papaya or green mango salad. Nasi lemak, just a little bit for the taste. Can I add a roti john as well? Pancakes with DUTCH maple syrup (never ever try to give me any other fake stuff please).
For drinks I would like fresh mango juice, loads of extremely strong espresso.

And maybe an alka seltzer, never know what happened the night before...

I know, it is quite an amount of food, but I'd be having some activities in between, for which I would need the eggs to recuperate... :P

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 3:36 pm

Wham wrote:oh... at least 6 times - maybe 7.

And ar eyou a fan of Bill Bryson? You must be if youa re from Hanover and a hiker....

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 8:12 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:No, please not another thread on the evils of Singlish. Haven't we flogged that dead horse long enough?

What I find tiresome is the way it is beaten to death on the forum. I have no problem that Singlish exists. None at all, in fact you are the one whinging here.

What is repetitive and inane is that we seem to not be able to move off the topic.

I thought we were talking about American breakfasts here? Not a deep discussion perhaps, but at least original.

the operative word is "we" - I must not have be part of 'we' for your last round, ya know some of us are realatively newbies

and anyway, we just kinda fell into it, and are not at least some of the things brought up a little different from past go-arounds?

and yes, it probably belongs in its own thread, on a sticky somewhere
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 8:25 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Big cup of coffee

Ok, ok,ok . . . I have remained silent about american breakfasts - what people do to themselves in the privacy of their own home or diner is their business, but :

Big cup of coffee One of the things I ALWAYS hated and still do is the quality of coffee in the US . . . . Most of the times it's see-through and absolutely tasteless . . .
(but then you have guys run around saying they are so buzzed by the amount of caffeine they are injesting - like beer - wow, just had three Buds and am trippin' man . . . #-o )

Why, oh why . . .

(please don't come back with Starbucks . . . . [-X )

sheesh, relax dood

I got similar noise on this a lot in Japan, where they favor European-style ("blendo") coffee over American, thought they serve "American Coffee" which tastes nothing like it. I always found those kinds of coffee bitter for my preferances (I love "L'Vazzio"). Starbucks is to coffee like Hagendaaz is to ice cream - a designer name for something second rate. It's marketing. Heard HD is made in Newark NJ, a toxic cesspool.

Real American diner coffee, when it's made right, is an apples-and-oranges thing - it's just different, and I for one really like it sometimes.

People do get buzzed on coffee because (unlike in Japan) it's so cheap there, and, (unlike in Japan and maybe elsewhere) you almost always get a bottomless cup that overzealous waitressess keep refilling.

American beer? Try New Amsterdam. American ice cream? Bryers, the best (no typo, not that Dryers dreck)
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 8:32 pm

EADG wrote:American ice cream? Bryers, the best (no typo, not that Dryers dreck)

You can't be talking about Breyers... the essence of air whipped mediocrity. What about Ben & Jerry's? Now that is a quality product. Even after the Unilever buy out.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 9:55 pm

Oi gewalt, I'd agree with EADG - it's all Dreck, or I'm a meshuggene!

'nuff said Image

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:59 pm

vaucluse, would you like the Barney Greengrass bagel with the works to go with that accent?

MHB - read much of Bryson - his quest for travel and beer kind of grew on me. Also - have been to the Ben and Jerry's factory to beg for some freebees from the guys loading the trucks at 3:00 in the morning. It is like a pilgrimage to the Ice Cream Mecca!!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I WILL be eating a real breakfast this coming Sunday...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:50 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Oi gewalt, I'd agree with EADG - it's all Dreck, or I'm a meshuggene!

Oh believe me, I know meshuggene, and you'r e it. And a bit of an alter kucker if you ask me. :)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 8:59 am

Vaucluse wrote:Yup, I'd agree. Mary has the New England touch about her - probably why we get along so well - nice people. I do recollect a tonne of microbreweries springing up in the last 15 or so years and they do make good beers, but they don't age them enough, in my opinion - but do taste good.
(Driving home after work on the I90, thiunking it might be nice to drop by . . . but who can afford taxis in the boonies???

A touch? More than that I'm afraid. I am a Yankee through and through.

I took a nice road trip this summer and spent time in Acton , Mass with dear, dear friends. Driving around Boston is awful, isn't it? I'd need more thatn a beer after commuting on I-90 everyday.

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:ok, our American friends want us to stay on topic, so here's my 2 cents on a good breakfast.

Setting: bedroom, background music Luis Miguel, 'mis boleros favoritos'. Sitting in bed, big table in front to carry the tray of delicacies. On the tray there would be French toast (the version where it is fried / toasted in raw egg). Some nice refried mexican beans with mexican tortillas (must be fresh from a tortilleria) and of course.. eggs: fried with sunny side up.
Also some spring rolls with the sweet thai chili sauce. Fruit salad, preferably a thai spicy papaya or green mango salad. Nasi lemak, just a little bit for the taste. Can I add a roti john as well? Pancakes with DUTCH maple syrup (never ever try to give me any other fake stuff please).
For drinks I would like fresh mango juice, loads of extremely strong espresso.

And maybe an alka seltzer, never know what happened the night before...

I know, it is quite an amount of food, but I'd be having some activities in between, for which I would need the eggs to recuperate...

Eric

A few points:

Absolutely do not care if you hijak, it just depends where your driving us off to...

What other kind of French Toast is there?

The best maple syrup in the world comes from Vermont and that is the end of that story. Be happy with your fine Quark.

No Mimosa with breakfast? Or a Bloody Mary extra spicy? Hmmm....

I think you better hire a harem to work off this meal, or perhaps a gastroenterologist.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 9:11 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:The best maple syrup in the world comes from Vermont and that is the end of that story. Be happy with your fine Quark.

http://www.stroopwafelshop.com/

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I think you better hire a harem to work off this meal, or perhaps a gastroenterologist.

Hire one? Why hire when already there? 8)

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 9:23 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:The best maple syrup in the world comes from Vermont and that is the end of that story. Be happy with your fine Quark.

http://www.stroopwafelshop.com/

Not sure I see the connection. I heard pancakes and french toast, and now waffles?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:02 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Oi gewalt, I'd agree with EADG - it's all Dreck, or I'm a meshuggene!

Oh believe me, I know meshuggene, and you'r e it. And a bit of an alter kucker if you ask me. :)

Aw shucks . . . still being called a kucker at my age (still, calling me an alter kucker . . . :cry: ) . . . next you'll be calling me a yiddischer kop - I could handle that as well!

Wham -
vaucluse, would you like the Barney Greengrass bagel with the works to go with that accent?

Accent? What accent? I don't got no accent . . . Perhaps you're the meshuggener . . . :?

'nuff said Image