Singapore Expats Forum

Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 5:06 pm

Ah, the Cafe Brinkman . . . how much time did we spend there!!! If you look at the Groote Bavo Kerk on the lower picture, I lived just behind it - across the road at Warmoesstraat 1 (NOT the Amsterdammer Warmoesstraat)

Thanks, Eric - a nice blast from the past

'nuff said Image

T2K
Regular
Regular

Postby T2K » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 4:00 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Interesting to read that all the Americans here think they really have a distinguished and respectable food culture...

Must be haute cuisine... Probably the reason why you don't get it outside the US of A...

Eric

Interesting conclusion you draw there about what all the Americans here think...

When I lived in the Netherlands I especially missed American breakfasts. Don't you get enough bread at lunch and dinner? Must you eat if for breakfast too? I also escaped to Belgium on weekends for variety. Bread, slices of meat, and slices of cheese can only go so far. Oh, and that chocolate spread - an essential breakfast ingredient that I forgot. Better than the little shriveled fish of nasi lemak though.

Food opinions, like politics, can never end.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 4:34 pm

T2K wrote: Oh, and that chocolate spread - an essential breakfast ingredient that I forgot. Better than the little shriveled fish of nasi lemak though.

it's not just opinions. it's probably the synapses formed since childhood by the kinds of food we grew up with... burned into our brains forever and hence we will always love our childhood foods best.

those little shrivelled fish of nasi lemak, called ikan bilis, i could eat everyday. nasi lemak is one of my favourite breakfasts. but a full-blown american breakfast i would be tired of by the third day.

chocolate spread is a different matter... that must be universally yummy! :D

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 4:35 pm

And thus died subtle humour . . . .

'nuff said Image

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 4:38 pm

And thus died subtle humour . . . .

or:

Hook, Line and Sinker tot he 2000-Man

:)

(But yes, show me someone who does not love Belgian food!!!)

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 5:00 pm

vaucluse, am i seeing double or are you just being repetitive? :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 5:22 pm

Vaucluse wrote:And thus died subtle humour . . . .

Lead baloon mean anything here?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 6:33 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Interesting to read that all the Americans here think they really have a distinguished and respectable food culture...

Must be haute cuisine... Probably the reason why you don't get it outside the US of A...

hmmm....while I did take this in the intended voice, it does raise a point

there's a difference between good cooking and good food - diners have what is probably not the best food either health-wise or stylistically, but it is well-prepared and wholesome, so I'd call it good cooking; good food can be found in good resturants anywhere, and what I remember about the States, besides many good Italian resturants, was the 'American Food' that was popularized in the 80s with the California-style / Spago / food-as-art thing

as far as respectable food culture, would beg to differ as it does in fact exist despite the cultural sabotage the States chooses to inflict on itself and market globally; for distinguished, one example that comes to mind is Cajun - some damn good food

but of course you were at least half-joking

...and if anyone knows any good Cajun resturants here, do speak up
Last edited by EADG on Tue, 01 Nov 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 6:34 pm

EADG wrote:...and if anyone knows any good Cajun resturants here, do speak up

yikes! I used the 'do' word! now I know I've been in Singapore too long.....
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 6:55 pm

EADG wrote:

South Cove
Rating: Recommended
Category: Cajun
Address: #01-21 Great World City
Tel: (65) 6835-2838

Although I've never been there it's the only one I could find at this link: http://www.raywhite.com.sg/subpages/eat.shtml

If you try it out, please let us know how it was and what's good on the menu. Or even if it still exists.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 7:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Although I've never been there it's the only one I could find at this link: http://www.raywhite.com.sg/subpages/eat.shtml

If you try it out, please let us know how it was and what's good on the menu. Or even if it still exists.

yo brother, thanks for the excellent link

and will do, if I can ever manage to get a date to go!

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We must come to the point where we realize the concept of race is a false one. There is only one race, the human race.
Dan Aykroyd

Aykroyd satd that? wow....pretty cool
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 9:40 pm

T2K wrote:

Eric

Interesting conclusion you draw there about what all the Americans here think...

When I lived in the Netherlands I especially missed American breakfasts. Don't you get enough bread at lunch and dinner? Must you eat if for breakfast too? I also escaped to Belgium on weekends for variety. Bread, slices of meat, and slices of cheese can only go so far. Oh, and that chocolate spread - an essential breakfast ingredient that I forgot. Better than the little shriveled fish of nasi lemak though.

I know... At one point most foreigners get so fed up with the endless breads being eaten in Holland: breakfast and lunch, every day, in and out...

When and where did you live in The Netherlands btw T2K?

Eric

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:07 pm

EADG wrote:

i didn't realise the 'do' word was a singaporean thing. don't all english speakers the world over use it for emphasis?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:27 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
EADG wrote:

i didn't realise the 'do' word was a singaporean thing. don't all english speakers the world over use it for emphasis?

sure, but not as frequently and freely as here, where it is a more common figure of speach

same with the idiom "...so called <>..."
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:37 pm

EADG wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:i didn't realise the 'do' word was a singaporean thing. don't all english speakers the world over use it for emphasis?

sure, but not as frequently and freely as here, where it is a more common figure of speach

same with the idiom "...so called <>..."

you DO realise, that "speech" is spelled with two "e"s? :P

and you DO have a point on "so-called". i can't stand that phrase either. it either is called or isn't called what it is so called.

the other local phrase i DO hate is "itself" eg "i'm going on leave in december itself" or "i live in east coast itself"...

still, all things considered, i DO like singlish. and i DO hope you like singapore with all its peculiarities. :)