Singapore Expats Forum

Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 7:02 pm

You know... three egss over easy, hash browns, couple of links of pork sausage, couple of strips of bacon, toast with butter, big glass of OJ, and coffee.

Rather not do a hotel restaurant... aint cheap... and I'd like to go like a bum with the Sunday paper.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 7:16 pm

they do a pretty decent breakfast at Cafe Cartel.....the one next to Starbucks at Raffles City Shopping Centre?

It's not dirt cheap but its not comparable to a sunday champagne brunch in a hotel.

And they have decent, real waffles! :D
And the sultans - yeah the sultans
they play creole...Creole, baby

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 9:08 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You know... three egss over easy, hash browns, couple of links of pork sausage, couple of strips of bacon, toast with butter, big glass of OJ, and coffee.

Rather not do a hotel restaurant... aint cheap... and I'd like to go like a bum with the Sunday paper.

Ah yes! The diner breakfast. I know it quite fondly.

Champion of thunder thighs the world over.

I'm definitely carrying around an extra 5 lbs of past indescretions.

All I can tell you is, in this country, you have to make your own. Nobody can do it right.

If anyone answers Denny's, it's pistols at dawn.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 9:14 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:You know... three egss over easy, hash browns, couple of links of pork sausage, couple of strips of bacon, toast with butter, big glass of OJ, and coffee.

Ah yes! The diner breakfast. I know it quite fondly.

Champion of thunder thighs the world over.

I'm definitely carrying around an extra 5 lbs of past indescretions.

All I can tell you is, in this country, you have to make your own. Nobody can do it right.

If anyone answers Denny's, it's pistols at dawn.

Crikey! You must know the 24 hour "One's a Meal?" Far too much grease in the hash browns... but so yummy! Breakfast at 3 in the morning after a night of partying.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 9:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Breakfast at 3 in the morning after a night of partying.

A perfect description of my second date with Mr. Bailey...

The diner was called Mrs. Washington's :)

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:49 am

Brings back some memories from college...biscuits and gravy at 2 in the morning after dancing the nights away! Haven't had anything like it since then and of course probably wouldn't taste the same either! :wink:

Agree with Mary, unfortunately SE to get anything good like this, stay at home or go to Mary's! (Sorry Mary, I'm out of the bacon/sausages at my place!)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 8:45 am

Matney wrote:Agree with Mary, unfortunately SE to get anything good like this, stay at home or go to Mary's! (Sorry Mary, I'm out of the bacon/sausages at my place!)

In college I was a breakfast short order cook in the largest dining hall east of the Mississippi. Let me tell you, cooking for 1500 was definitely good training for my later life. Thanksgiving for 25? No problem... :)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 9:58 am

Stop whining you americans...

Go to The Beachhut at east coast park, buffet breakfast with all that oily american stuff you like! :mrgreen:

Can wear anything you want lah! :P

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:24 am

I'm sure The Beachut is charming, but a typical American coronary-on-a-platter breakfast must be made to order. The variations of ordering eggs alone can be multi-tiered. My Dad is 80 and takes his 4 year old grand daughter to the diner 3 times a week. She pays. :)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 1:03 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Stop whining you americans...

nay, one must appreciate the gravity of this quest, and thanks to SE for opening it

with the plethora of diners in the States, and the lack of anything like them here (or anywhere else in Asia), this is one area where we whinge as one

along with their vibe, with personable waitresses who can give you real recommendations on what to and what not to order that day, many diners hold a sense of community, and are often a place to run into people you haven't seen for awhile

if one were to travel across the States, stopping in diners along the way, you would get a real feel for the pulse on what is happening in those towns from their diners

and diners actually can have good food, depending in the diner, and those are the ones you revisit year after year, after High School football games, after late night drinking sessions, Saturdays after hitting the mall with your other Mall-ies, Sunday afternoons after church, with the band and a few friends after a gig, for Sunday brunches on rainy days settling back with a 5-inch thick NY Times, trading sections with your companion, and of course, for breakfast *any* time of any day

any food any time from steak to spagetti, but it's the breakfasts which keep you going back

after over 15 years outside of the States, this remains one of the top things I miss - so keep the recommendations coming!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

uk-kiwi
Regular
Regular

Postby uk-kiwi » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 2:16 pm

I guess it's the hash browns that allow you guys to call that breakfast american rather than an english fry up which is what it really is. Seems like there is a gap in the market over here - MHB, why don't you open a diner?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 2:24 pm

uk-kiwi wrote:I guess it's the hash browns that allow you guys to call that breakfast american rather than an english fry up which is what it really is. Seems like there is a gap in the market over here - MHB, why don't you open a diner?

Actually I miss grits more than hashbrowns. That, and good cornbread bisquits and real churn butter.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 2:41 pm

EADG wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Stop whining you americans...

nay, one must appreciate the gravity of this quest, and thanks to SE for opening it

with the plethora of diners in the States, and the lack of anything like them here (or anywhere else in Asia), this is one area where we whinge as one

along with their vibe, with personable waitresses who can give you real recommendations on what to and what not to order that day, many diners hold a sense of community, and are often a place to run into people you haven't seen for awhile

if one were to travel across the States, stopping in diners along the way, you would get a real feel for the pulse on what is happening in those towns from their diners

and diners actually can have good food, depending in the diner, and those are the ones you revisit year after year, after High School football games, after late night drinking sessions, Saturdays after hitting the mall with your other Mall-ies, Sunday afternoons after church, with the band and a few friends after a gig, for Sunday brunches on rainy days settling back with a 5-inch thick NY Times, trading sections with your companion, and of course, for breakfast *any* time of any day

any food any time from steak to spagetti, but it's the breakfasts which keep you going back

after over 15 years outside of the States, this remains one of the top things I miss - so keep the recommendations coming!

Amen.

The first time I took my kids to a real greek diner, all shiny and formica-ed they had thought they had died and gone to heaven.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 2:41 pm

uk-kiwi wrote:I guess it's the hash browns that allow you guys to call that breakfast american rather than an english fry up which is what it really is.

that and, that you would not find any beans with our breakfasts, that's for hot dogs
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 2:46 pm

uk-kiwi wrote:I guess it's the hash browns that allow you guys to call that breakfast american rather than an english fry up which is what it really is. Seems like there is a gap in the market over here - MHB, why don't you open a diner?

English fry up! You mean with those repulsive beans and grilled tomaaaaahto? Toast done on one side? Please! The diffrences are endless... :P

I could open a diner, a breakfast only place -- but alas! I feel the market here is just too small. Must get my share when I am in the US. :lol: