Singapore Expats Forum

Need advice - Job interview

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
treb

Need advice - Job interview

Postby treb » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:54 pm

:???:
Hi all,
I am invited to attend an interview on SG. I'm in Indonesia now. Is it polite if I ask the employee to hold an interview by phone ? Or should I attend it on SG.
Thanks folks.

jhkim
Regular
Regular

Postby jhkim » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 8:56 am

Didn't you use your Indonesian address on your resume?

They are either morons or ignorant bastards.

If they invited you for interview even if they knew you were in Indoenesia then you are out of luck.

I would still call and ask for phone interview cause no way I am flying there just for an Interview.....unless they pay for it.

Good luck.....

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 9:20 am

Why did you apply from Indonesia for a job in Singapore in the first place?

If so, you would and should have known there will be an interview in Singapore, right? :?

Eric

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 9:31 am

Still, the normal practice is that the prospective employer pays for transportation.

I said practice, not rule.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

treb

Postby treb » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 9:45 am

yes I put my Indonesian address in the resume. I know I must attend an interview on SG. But some company still can held an interview on phone right ?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 9:47 am

First interview on the phone makes sense. I agree.

If they ask you to go to SG just ask what about the transportation costs. I am quite sure they will say they take care of it. And if they don't that gives you some information about the company...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:48 am

I agree with CD. You don't want to work for people who will make you travel out of your own pocket without even giving you any indication of a job offer. Ask for a an initial interview by phone, (but surely too for your own sake, it would be good to meet your prospective employers in person and see your workplace than to take the chance...)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:49 pm

I would not start by asking them for having the interview by phone, as they may have valid reasons for it (enthusiastic about your resume?), so it may be a more than positive sign.

I would contact them instead and thank them for inviting you, but your concern is that it will be quite costly to do so and you would like to ask them about their thoughts on who is paying for this?

(same as CD, but be as diplomatic / polite as possible).

Eric

jhkim
Regular
Regular

Postby jhkim » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 1:46 pm

I had phone interview and got hired. I was in the US at that time. If they must, they will do everything over the phone.

I knew they needed my skill and I had a job anyway so I went strong. You might want to go strong if you think they need your skill.

I guess it is a matter of of Who needs who more? If you need the job more than they need you then you will not have much negotiating power.....

My friend came to Singapore 2 times just for an interview and never even made it to the 2nd interview......yeap...spend quiet a bomb to stay here....

Good luck

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Need advice - Job interview

Postby elizabeth » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 1:57 pm

treb wrote::???:
Hi all,
I am invited to attend an interview on SG. I'm in Indonesia now. Is it polite if I ask the employee to hold an interview by phone ? Or should I attend it on SG.
Thanks folks.

Which part of Indonesia are you from? And what kind of job you apply for? If you need to come by air, got to think about it again? If by ferry may be you want to give it a try.

If you are coming by ferry and it take less than an hour to reach here and it is also cheaper..

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 3:18 pm

Since you're 'invited', usually the inviting party ought to bear the cost of your travel. However, if it's stated in the advert that in the case that you have been shortlisted and invited for a further evaluation in Singapore you then have to bear all cost of transportation and lodging incurred...then I reckon it's gotta come out of your pocket. Read the print again especially the fine prints.

If it turns out you do have to fork out some, then re-assess your situation and the prospects again. If you're still adamant about coming then at least line up a few potential companies you could find work with/in.
Doesn't hurt to sting a few birds while you're at it....
..good luck!

treb

Postby treb » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 8:08 pm

I am very thankful for your kind opinions folks. :D
I came from Surabaya, East Java. I am applying for system engineer. Of course I must use a plane.

If I must go there for interview, Is there any cheap lodge house or apartment to stay ?

Thanks anyway.