Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore - Advice needed in taking an offer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

sanjan

Moving to Singapore - Advice needed in taking an offer

Postby sanjan » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 9:32 am

Hi

I am an entry level Master's graduate in Electrical Engineering and I have an offer from a company in Singapore. The offer is S$2500. I want to know whether this is the average salary in Singapore for entry level graduates. Also is it salary enough to live and save a little bit in Singapore for a person with normal life style.

Your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by sanjan on Thu, 27 Oct 2005 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jhkim
Regular
Regular

Postby jhkim » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 1:52 pm

I heard average college graduate here makes that much....but you have master degree....I would think that around 3000 is a fair amount....but you need to consider size of your company....and where you are from....
People from 3rd world country makes less then people from developed country.....

Try not to compare so much with other but evaluate on your own....are you making more then now...will you save more?

Career in Singapore will be worthed in the run run even though you start with a low pay.

I know many college graduate with 2-3 years of exp in your field who don't even pay tax because they make less than 20,000/year.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Job

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 1:55 am

Hi sanjan,

i guess the salary quoted is normal for an Q pass requirement. With a normal spend you can save more than 50% of your earning.

but if you can get more, that can credit to your savings but as this your first offer in singapore good to start with then you can hop on.

cheers
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

murvy

Reply to Sanjan's query on relocating

Postby murvy » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 1:04 am

Hi Sanjan

The salary seems about average for entry level. I don't think a masters degree makes a difference unless it's a degree from an Ivy League U.

Expect to spend at least $500/- per month if you're renting a room; $800-$1,000 if you rent a small unfurnished flat. Add $100 for transport and $300-$500 for meals. And another $200 for miscelleanous expenses.

And bear in mind that your net monthly salary will be lower as 20% goes into a compulsory superannuation scheme.

All in all, you'll be on a tight budget. But you'll enjoy a good standard of living and a promise of better things to come if you stick around for a while and prove your worth.

cheers

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Reply to Sanjan's query on relocating

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:55 pm

murvy wrote:And bear in mind that your net monthly salary will be lower as 20% goes into a compulsory superannuation scheme.

This is incorrect. Central Provident Fund contributions are only paid by Permanent Residents & Citizens. Not Employment Pass Holders.

sms

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Re: Reply to Sanjan's query on relocating

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 06 Nov 2005 1:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
murvy wrote:And bear in mind that your net monthly salary will be lower as 20% goes into a compulsory superannuation scheme.

This is incorrect. Central Provident Fund contributions are only paid by Permanent Residents & Citizens. Not Employment Pass Holders.

sms

Confirmed, you will just have to pay income tax.

Assuming you get 13 month salary (which is usually the practice), you will earn 13 x 2,500 = 32,500 per year and you will have to pay taxes as follows:
Income = 32,500 - 1,000 (personal relief) = 31,500
Tax amount will be 400 $ on the first 30,000 + 5.75 % on the rest. It means 400 + 1,500 x 5.75 % = $486.25, which means 40$ per month.

(I have used the 2006 tax rate, which will be lower than in 2005).
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant