Singapore Expats Forum

Sexiest Car

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:To me, driving a Maserati or a Ferrari is like wearing too much cologne, a sure sign you're trying too hard. Plus, let's be practical -- it's got a built in bed...

Somehow here I got the feeling you just wanna be 'different' here...

As if your class would step into this redneck car, sure... :?

Pretty sure Le Roi and La Reine would not take this car to their outings, right... :wink:

Eric

Eric,

....It also shows that you are defininately lacking in knowledge about us Yanks......

....No need to blow your horn......

.......From what I read from MHB, I feel that she is much like myself, completely without airs, unlike some on this board, what you see/hear is what you get.....

Of course sms, how could I make such a big mistake....

"muggenzifters"... :?

Eric

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:06 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:To me, driving a Maserati or a Ferrari is like wearing too much cologne, a sure sign you're trying too hard. Plus, let's be practical -- it's got a built in bed...

Somehow here I got the feeling you just wanna be 'different' here...

As if your class would step into this redneck car, sure... :?

Pretty sure Le Roi and La Reine would not take this car to their outings, right... :wink:

Eric

Eric,

I think you'd be rather surprised at what "classy people" drive when they just want to be confortable. It also shows that you are defininately lacking in knowledge about us Yanks. I have my share of 'class' cars as you can see, merc, A-H, Caddie. I also had several trucks and currently also own a small ford escapade 4wd suv for a replacement for an '88 ford pickup that was rather totaled in hurricane Isabelle. When I get scrubbed up, like SE, I like to use a classy ride, but for everyday usage a truck or suv does it just fine. No need to blow your horn. More fun to lay low......From what I read from MHB, I feel that she is much like myself, completely without airs, unlike some on this board, what you see/hear is what you get. SE & Wham are also cut from the same bolt of cloth as well if you haven't noticed. It's just that SE & MHB are better read than myself. (University tends to do that).

Wow!

I thought we were talking about cars. Now looks like we're in a debate about class? OK, let me try to clarify.

Eric,

Definitely not trying to be 'different'. I love antiques in all forms. I appreciate the patina of a well-loved object and it's history. My house here (and in the US, for that matter) is full of antiques of all kinds. Why even our house was considered 'antique'. Until we outgrew it, we lived in an 200 year old farm house without heat in the upstairs! We didn't choose to live in a black and white in Singapore because of the convenience, the place is falling down around us. But still, we love it.

In the US we have 2 cars: a used Chevy Suburban, which replaced the car I totaled last year and a Ford F150 pick-up truck. No, not antiques. Sadly, its all about the air bags now. We live in a rural area, with dirt roads and lots of snow and ice. We haul around boats and snow mobiles and campers and cords of wood and teenagers, and these are the right vehicles for us now.

I'd rather climb into the cab of that pick-up and ride around (with my dogs of course, as this is requisite where we live) than in a Maserati anyday. :)

SMS, thanks for being my cheerleader. I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. I am not convinced that the argument is American vs. the rest, but I do see a pattern of misunderstanding and perhaps bias. Not sure I'm better read than anyone, and certainly would not put myself in a different social class. What does 'class' even mean these days? Such an antiquated notion really.

I go back to my original point. If I were single, I'd be much more likely to start a conversation with the guy in the '57 chevy than the Ferrari.

Hey.... I was just kidding...

Deeply sorry for the inconvenience here... :oops:

Pfffff.....

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:21 am

Inconvenience? Not at all! :)

What is a muggenzifter?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:29 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Of course sms, how could I make such a big mistake....

"muggenzifters"... :?

Eric

Eric, please don't pout. If I had wanted to single you out as being in the group referenced, believe me, I would have done so. As I have done in the past. Since when have I ever beat around the bush? I was NOT including you in that group, but ......if you feel the shoe fits..... :???:

I am not offended by your remark in dutch (it did take a number of websearches to piece together a proper meaning), however I have come to expect it as you have some inherent dislike (too strong - how about intolerance) of me. At least you did have the courtesy to apologize to MHB.

Enough said on that topic.

Now, Why haven't you posted pics of these? Especially now that the Stryker had gotten over the US EPA hurdle. I would think as a major gas guzzler it should sell well in the US along with the SUV's.

in the words of Antoine......."cool runnings"

sms

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 1:37 pm

comrades, I believe Eric's post was intended with a bit of tongue-and-cheek

SMS that *is* a cool car BTW
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 2:46 pm

hey EADG, nice new avatar! :D

is that really you? if so the number of people showing their 'real' selves on this board continues to grow...

ps: i'm still in the dark on what your handle means...

pps: thought i'd better say something about the car since i'm on this thread... yes sms i like that car, prefer it in silver. and the truck too... very sexy! :wink:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 6:40 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:hey EADG, nice new avatar! :D

is that really you? if so the number of people showing their 'real' selves on this board continues to grow...

no, not me but not too far from that

that one was just a less subtle variation on the earlier theme

Wind In My Hair wrote:ps: i'm still in the dark on what your handle means..

so much for the post where I went into this, vaporized, guess I'll have to change my avatar again...

done - does that help?
Last edited by EADG on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 7:45 pm

I was going to paste the ultimate car here, but still can't get to grips with imageshack . . . (It's ok, I've only been in IT for 13 years)

tried copy then paste (won't even give me the option). . . .

nothing works . . .

If you want to see the bees knees in cars then you must give me some help . . . (I doubt many of you will argue with me with this car)

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 9:56 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I was going to paste the ultimate car here, but still can't get to grips with imageshack . . . (It's ok, I've only been in IT for 13 years)

tried copy then paste (won't even give me the option). . . .

nothing works . . .

If you want to see the bees knees in cars then you must give me some help . . . (I doubt many of you will argue with me with this car)

This should get your image on the forum without a problem. (You should reduce the file size if possible however. I use Photo Elements to "save for web" thereby drastically reducing the filesize.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 7:13 pm

Thank you, SMS - I shall try . . . sigh . . .

'nuff said Image

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 7:25 pm

[img][img]http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/3673/jag7zu.jpg[/img]

I did it!!!! I did it!!!! (but what's with the 20 credits thing and why will it only upload zipped files?)

I'd like to thank my parents for sticking with me through my teenage years - my wife who had faith (though she doesn't quite understand my 'obsession' with this site) and the great stte of Singapore for making this all possible.

Thank you ballboys, thank you ballgirls

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:26 pm

Yep, argueably probably one of the sexiest cars ever made. I'd also put her predesessor the XK140 coupe and the 'D' Jag as well as #2 & #3. Then would have to be a 427 Cobra SC (but that's not sexy, just pure male testosterone! :mrgreen:

The 20 credit thingy I believe you have to pay for. Just keep using the upload file link and do it one at a time. Glad it worked it was worth it!

sms

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:40 pm

Thanks, SMS . . . Cobra? Too muscle-bound for my taste - turns out you're a bit of a petrol-head :)

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:48 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Thanks, SMS . . . Cobra? Too muscle-bound for my taste - turns out you're a bit of a petrol-head :)

Who???? ME? With a Caddie & SUV? Nah!

When I first started driving gas (sic!) was only 15¢ a gallon (usd & usg) Could fill up my old 56 Buick for a couple of dollars only with a 30 gal. tank. :mrgreen:

Mom tells me during the NO hurricane it finally hit $3 a gallon. Soccar Moms are going through withdrawal symptoms.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 7:48 am

The guy in the house next door to me here in Wales has just bought a new sedan type Maserati, brand new, gold colour....thought it was a Lexus at first, then saw the four exhausts etc and heard the thing start up this morning...........what can I say..........it's like a dream..............and I bloody well wish it was mine......sob sob sob............

Ah, next life............
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.