Singapore Expats Forum

Sexiest Car

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:30 am

Having looked at the different cars shown here, as being sexy cars, it seems there is a nice variety in taste here.

Some like the muscular modern cars, others relate to the subtle yet powerful, whereas some love the classic designs.

I quite enjoy watching these differences in taste! :D

I personally like the subtle but sporty cars.

If I would have to make a choice for the obvious muscular and masculin, I'd vote for this one:

Maserati Coupe GT

No Ferrari for me please, never ever a Lamborghini or even worse a Pagini Zonda. All so much overdone, too much emphasis on being special (although Ferrari is like Porsche a car you cannot ignore).

Maserati, the word itself: Ma - se - rati.

When you say it slowly, preferably in Italian, it is the sound of the words already that is magnifying.

And the logo:

Beautiful.

Whenever I see a Ferrari, Porsche, Lexus SC430 or whatever poshy car in Singapore, I don't even glance at it for more than a second, but when I see a Maserati parked, I will go there, walk around it, look at it from every angle and stare at the interior. The perfect sewing of the leather seats (preferably red leather in a silver car), the design of the interior, the front of its nose (the grill), the curves, simply 'bioetifoele' as an Italian would say. :D

Eric

cyber_m0nkey
Regular
Regular

Postby cyber_m0nkey » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 1:10 pm

I agree with you Eric, the 'traditional' sports car marques are nice to look at and I'm sure great to drive, but I wouldn't buy buy one.

The Maserati is beautiful car as is the Aston Martin, but my choice would have to be the current Bentley Continental GT

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 2:24 pm

Saint wrote: it must be a joy to drive even if it is a little indifferent going round bends and stopping!

It's definitely a head turner. Have never used her hard and yes the engine is original.

The new cars are fine but I like the cachet of an older woman who has been well kept. :mrgreen: She's been in Deep Storage (plastic bubble - controlled humidity type) for the past 20+ years (since '82) along with my 1960 190SL Merc and 1974 850 Norton Commando (unfortunately I've only pre-restoration pics of the 190SL and "during" pics of the Norton restoration). The 190SL, while a nice car, has absolutely nothing going for it except the name. (I couldn't afford the cost & subsequent restoration costs of an old 300SL at the time).

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 6:45 pm

I do also like Triumph Spitfires, racing green, cheeky - but the engines are unfortunately unreliable... :-|

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 7:41 pm

sputnik wrote:I do also like Triumph Spitfires, racing green, cheeky - but the engines are unfortunately unreliable... :-|

thought that was the wiring

or maybe that's the problem with Alpha Romeos

I always liked the TR6 over the Spitfire, but agree, only in BRG
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 9:24 pm

EADG wrote:
sputnik wrote:I do also like Triumph Spitfires, racing green, cheeky - but the engines are unfortunately unreliable... :-|

thought that was the wiring

or maybe that's the problem with Alpha Romeos

I always liked the TR6 over the Spitfire, but agree, only in BRG

Bought a brand spanking new Spitfire in Emerald Green (Not BRG) with the gold striping down the side back in '72. Unfortunately, my 1st wife got it in the divorce in '73. Good looker but not a good handler. The car I mean! (MG Midgets were better in this regard). The GT6's were my favourite as they had the 6 cylinder engine in the spitfire body (albiet a fastback coupe). Too front heavy for decent handling but impressive on the straights. No Spitfire I've ever heard of has managed 100K on the clock. Usually done in around 75-80K. You're right about Alfa wiring as well.

hammer

Discussion over.

Postby hammer » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 6:17 pm

I just bough a Honda Jazz. Nuff said.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 6:58 pm

I don't know anything about cars, and have barely read this thread, but still, I am compelled to throw in my two cents. I am much more likely tp turn my head for the guy driving something like this:

To me, driving a Maserati or a Ferrari is like wearing too much cologne, a sure sign you're trying too hard. Plus, let's be practical -- it's got a built in bed...

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 7:09 pm

Anybody think this one is still sexy - go on surprise me.

.Image

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 9:10 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I don't know anything about cars, and have barely read this thread, but still, I am compelled to throw in my two cents. I am much more likely tp turn my head for the guy driving something like this:

To me, driving a Maserati or a Ferrari is like wearing too much cologne, a sure sign you're trying too hard. Plus, let's be practical -- it's got a built in bed...

MHB, nothing like being practical is there. Nice old ride. I sold this one in '83 the year after I came to Singapore. Figured I wouldn't be coming back for a while so I had to let her go. (She had a 454 under the hood and could really scream down the bayou roads down in La.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 9:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Saint wrote: it must be a joy to drive even if it is a little indifferent going round bends and stopping!

.........The 190SL, while a nice car, has absolutely nothing going for it except the name. (I couldn't afford the cost & subsequent restoration costs of an old 300SL at the time).

Here are a couple of the pre-restoration photos of the SL. Seems Hurricane Isabelle claimed my post restore pics. Actually, these are scans of polaroids hence the bad quality.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:00 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:To me, driving a Maserati or a Ferrari is like wearing too much cologne, a sure sign you're trying too hard. Plus, let's be practical -- it's got a built in bed...

Somehow here I got the feeling you just wanna be 'different' here...

As if your class would step into this redneck car, sure... :?

Pretty sure Le Roi and La Reine would not take this car to their outings, right... :wink:

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:39 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:To me, driving a Maserati or a Ferrari is like wearing too much cologne, a sure sign you're trying too hard. Plus, let's be practical -- it's got a built in bed...

Pretty sure Le Roi and La Reine would not take this car to their outings, right... :wink:

Eric

Eric,

I think you'd be rather surprised at what "classy people" drive when they just want to be confortable. It also shows that you are defininately lacking in knowledge about us Yanks. I have my share of 'class' cars as you can see, merc, A-H, Caddie. I also had several trucks and currently also own a small ford escapade 4wd suv for a replacement for an '88 ford pickup that was rather totaled in hurricane Isabelle. When I get scrubbed up, like SE, I like to use a classy ride, but for everyday usage a truck or suv does it just fine. No need to blow your horn. More fun to lay low......From what I read from MHB, I feel that she is much like myself, completely without airs, unlike some on this board, what you see/hear is what you get. SE & Wham are also cut from the same bolt of cloth as well if you haven't noticed. It's just that SE & MHB are better read than myself. (University tends to do that).

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 7:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:From what I read from MHB, I feel that she is much like myself, completely without airs, unlike some on this board, what you see/hear is what you get. SE & Wham are also cut from the same bolt of cloth as well if you haven't noticed.

gotta love that about our american friends!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 8:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:

Eric

Eric,

I think you'd be rather surprised at what "classy people" drive when they just want to be confortable. It also shows that you are defininately lacking in knowledge about us Yanks. I have my share of 'class' cars as you can see, merc, A-H, Caddie. I also had several trucks and currently also own a small ford escapade 4wd suv for a replacement for an '88 ford pickup that was rather totaled in hurricane Isabelle. When I get scrubbed up, like SE, I like to use a classy ride, but for everyday usage a truck or suv does it just fine. No need to blow your horn. More fun to lay low......From what I read from MHB, I feel that she is much like myself, completely without airs, unlike some on this board, what you see/hear is what you get. SE & Wham are also cut from the same bolt of cloth as well if you haven't noticed. It's just that SE & MHB are better read than myself. (University tends to do that).

Wow!

I thought we were talking about cars. Now looks like we're in a debate about class? OK, let me try to clarify.

Eric,

Definitely not trying to be 'different'. I love antiques in all forms. I appreciate the patina of a well-loved object and it's history. My house here (and in the US, for that matter) is full of antiques of all kinds. Why even our house was considered 'antique'. Until we outgrew it, we lived in an 200 year old farm house without heat in the upstairs! We didn't choose to live in a black and white in Singapore because of the convenience, the place is falling down around us. But still, we love it.

In the US we have 2 cars: a used Chevy Suburban, which replaced the car I totaled last year and a Ford F150 pick-up truck. No, not antiques. Sadly, its all about the air bags now. We live in a rural area, with dirt roads and lots of snow and ice. We haul around boats and snow mobiles and campers and cords of wood and teenagers, and these are the right vehicles for us now.

I'd rather climb into the cab of that pick-up and ride around (with my dogs of course, as this is requisite where we live) than in a Maserati anyday. :)

SMS, thanks for being my cheerleader. I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. I am not convinced that the argument is American vs. the rest, but I do see a pattern of misunderstanding and perhaps bias. Not sure I'm better read than anyone, and certainly would not put myself in a different social class. What does 'class' even mean these days? Such an antiquated notion really.

I go back to my original point. If I were single, I'd be much more likely to start a conversation with the guy in the '57 chevy than the Ferrari.