Singapore Expats Forum

Becoming a property agent ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

jerrycool

Becoming a property agent ?

Postby jerrycool » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 4:16 pm

Dear all

Had been in the coporate yr for sometime. Had been thinking of becoming a property agent ? Reason being for having more flex-timing, higher pay and be my own boss. Read from newspaper agent can earn S100K per year for beginners. Do u think is achievable given the 100% effort put in? Anybody know what is the avg full time property agent earnings per month?

dogkois

Postby dogkois » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 2:32 pm

Hi Jerrycool,

I was a realtor for a while but it didnt really worked out for me.

Earning 100K a yr for beginners is possible mathematically, but in reality only a few do.

The typical commission structure is 1% or 2% for every sales transacted.

Average HDB prices ranges between 200K - 450K (average price range). Thats where the bulk of the comm will come from for newbies. However, most expats realtors do rentals of condos to expats.

The big money lies in the Private and Landed properties. But few owners will entrust their properties to a newbie. Be prepared to rough it out for a few months (i.e. NO income) while u learn the ropes and invest in classified ads and advertising fees. :?

Even if you mange to sell a house by yourself in the first month, you will still have to wait for about 2-3 months for the legalities to complete before you get your first paycheck$. Most newbie will probably take a couple months before they close their first sale.

This industry has high turnover, just like insurance... many ppl come attracted by the high salaries, many people go.

However, many ppl make it rich too ! (just like insurance)

A bit of luck helps too. :)

Good Luck.

yx

Postby yx » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 1:48 am

hi all, how do we kick start a job in the property line? i suppose u must attained some kind of license before you can start helping ppl buy/sell houses rite? where do we go to learn the ropes?

thanx in advance for any replies

:)