Singapore Expats Forum

Where is this?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 8:43 pm

Spunky wrote:It's me again. This shd be the Jurong open air cinema! damn! I feel so antique now that I id 2 'extincted' locations!

Well Spunky, if it's any consolation, I felt good that the landmarks were for once something I did recognise or at least looked familiar. Most times, I just don't know any of the spots posted. I like these old blast from the past pictures; its like walking down memory lane. BTW, I had never been to the Jurong open air cinema.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Spunky
Regular
Regular

Postby Spunky » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:41 pm

Global Citizen wrote:BTW, I had never been to the Jurong open air cinema.

hahah...actually it was direct chinese translation of the place. I just couldn't remember its name until half a day later :oops: . It was the Jurong Drive-in cinema

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:34 pm

Correct, the Jurong Drive-In Cinema. Was modeled after an Australian Drive-In Theater. Some trivia statistics:

Opened............: 14 July 1971
Closed.............: 30 September 1985
Location...........: Yuan Ching Road, Jurong Singapore, next to the Japanese Gardens
Screens............: One screen (47 feet by 110 feet)
No. of shows.....: 2 shows daily – 7pm & 9pm
Ticket prices......: $2 (adults) & $1 (children under 12 years’ old)
Operator...........: Cathay Organisation Private Limited
Capacity...........: Occupied 5.6 hectares of land, accommodation for 899 cars and 300 walk-in patrons in the open gallery.

First Movie.........: Doctor in Trouble

Director.............: Ralph Thomas

Stars.................: Leslie Phillips, James Robertson Justice, Angela Scoular, Simon Dee, Robert Morley, Harry Secombe, Irene Handl, Freddie Jones, Graham Chapman, Joan Sims, John Le Mesurier

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 5:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:First Movie.........: Doctor in Trouble

Director.............: Ralph Thomas

Stars.................: Leslie Phillips, James Robertson Justice, Angela Scoular, Simon Dee, Robert Morley, Harry Secombe, Irene Handl, Freddie Jones, Graham Chapman, Joan Sims, John Le Mesurier

A classic film with some great British actors/actress

Who's go is it anyway?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 5:57 pm

I'm still trying to figure out spunkey's photo.

I initially though it was the Katong Confectionary but that didn't work out. Then I though maybe the "istana Kampong Glam" but that wasn't it either so I'm tapped out. No idea ata this point. I'm apparently not "THAT" old! :mrgreen:

Just in case someone is waiting here is another. Where, and in commeration of what?

Spunky
Regular
Regular

Postby Spunky » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 9:00 pm

sorry! it isn't a 'extinct' building.
that's Singapore Philatelic Museum @ coleman street.
I remember it fondly as the Methodist Bookroom in the 70s. Hence the sepia :lol:

summersora

Postby summersora » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 9:34 pm

Hey, you guys are amazing! I've lived in SG all my life & I'm embarassed to admit that I don't recognize most of the photos you guys have put up so far. I've must have been living under a rock all these while. Guess I need to go out more to explore this little red dot of ours. :oops:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:32 pm

summersora wrote:Hey, you guys are amazing! I've lived in SG all my life & I'm embarassed to admit that I don't recognize most of the photos you guys have put up so far. I've must have been living under a rock all these while. Guess I need to go out more to explore this little red dot of ours. :oops:

My wife has told me the same thing numerous times as I seem to know much more about this island state of hers than she does. That is usually the case when one 'elects' to live here. We tend to learn more of the history and also the nooks and crannies of the places that we adopt as our abodes around the world. With the exceptions as noted most of the photos are from my own cameras.

Any guesses on the latest photo? If not I will post another pic in due time (what is being commerated by the first photo) of something also consigned to history since about '98 )
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:36 pm

:o I'm not worthy!!! I'm not worthy!!! :o

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:46 pm

Spunky wrote:sorry! it isn't a 'extinct' building.
that's Singapore Philatelic Museum @ coleman street.
I remember it fondly as the Methodist Bookroom in the 70s. Hence the sepia :lol:

Spunky, I would have probably have sorted it out in another day. I had already given up on the mansion/estate vein and was starting to think about churches as the peak of the facade in the centre is very western church in design without actually being a full fledged cross. Had already check out the old armenian church so I was already in the vicinity - darn!

Anyway, here is the Methodist Reading Room Then for your memories (circa 1988).

Another view of the Stamp Museum Now

Spunky
Regular
Regular

Postby Spunky » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 1:11 am

Spirit of Kallang @ Kallang Riverside Park
commemorates the shutdown of the kallang gasworks.
everyday, I learn alittle bit more about my country...ironically, from the expats!
thanks u for the lovely MBR picture. Where did u get it from? u may post the next pic too! :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:54 pm

Got no time to search out my negatives so will do what some other are doing - this isn't one of mine. Easy one what & where?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 1:14 am

Obviously a lighthouse of an old sort so on the coast but I don't have a clue where must be an area with lots of rocks. Hope I haven't spoilt the fun.

Plavt.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 8:48 am

I reckon it has to be a reservoir....
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Spunky
Regular
Regular

Postby Spunky » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 9:09 am

tiki wrote:I reckon it has to be a reservoir....

think I ever been there when I was a kid...but don't remember those huts/shelters. :D

Return to “General Discussions”