Singapore Expats Forum

oven problem

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sotec

oven problem

Postby sotec » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 9:23 am

Hiya.

Am having problem with the oven in my house. Why does it tend to short circuit the electric connection whenever it is switched on for a split second.

Is the oven broken?

If it is not broken, what tricks can I do to make it work...Am supposed to do a sunday roast today.

:???: :???: :???:

cheers

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:53 am

The short answer is "yes", it is broken. If it trips the circuit breaker there is a short circuit in it, and it could be dangerous to you if you are in contact with the oven while the power is on.

If you are handy, you can search for the source of the problem with the power OFF (and the oven preferably disconnected from the power supply). If you're not handy, then get a qualified service person.

And you can cook your raost in my oven if you're not too far from me. Drop me an email if interested.

sotec

Postby sotec » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:20 pm

Thanks eagle.

Another fault with the flat :mad: . The list is getting longer and longer :shock: . This is my first month of tenancy, so I am trying my best to test everything out.

I guess the good old chicken can stay in cold storage and jamie oliver can go back to the shelf. Ha! But thanks for the offer for the use of your oven. Really appreciate it.

Cheers :cool:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 7:58 pm

We had the same problem - it's due to the humidity. Asians, in general do not use ovens, so humidity leads to corosion of some 'things' (What!? Do I look like an electrician??? :? ) and the things shorts out when it is eventually - after years - is switched on.

'nuff said Image

Flora

dont we?

Postby Flora » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 8:08 pm

Vaucluse wrote:We had the same problem - it's due to the humidity. Asians, in general do not use ovens, so humidity leads to corosion of some 'things' (What!? Do I look like an electrician??? :? ) and the things shorts out when it is eventually - after years - is switched on.

hmnn.... as i recall , most asians actually DO a lot of baking... we may not cook our meals in the oven, but we do bake breads, biscuits and cakes... our ovens may not always be electrical .. they are often gas ovens.. but they all serve the same purpose...

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 8:25 pm

Love is in the air??!! Vaucluse, I hope you're not getting mushy on us :shock:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: dont we?

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:01 am

Flora wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:We had the same problem - it's due to the humidity. Asians, in general do not use ovens, so humidity leads to corosion of some 'things' (What!? Do I look like an electrician??? :? ) and the things shorts out when it is eventually - after years - is switched on.

hmnn.... as i recall , most asians actually DO a lot of baking... we may not cook our meals in the oven, but we do bake breads, biscuits and cakes... our ovens may not always be electrical .. they are often gas ovens.. but they all serve the same purpose...

Well, Flora - how does that explain the dearth of ovens in houses here and Malaysia, Korea, Japan or HK? No doubt people bake, just not as frequently I guess (also what the real estate agent told us when we mentioned wanting to have an oven)

Locallass - :) :) Just falling in love with Mrs. Vaucluse all over again and again and again . . . :) :)

'nuff said Image

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:29 am

Vaucluse wrote:(What!? Do I look like an electrician??? :? )

Yes.

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:32 am

varun wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:(What!? Do I look like an electrician??? :? )

Yes.

- V.

:lol: I can assure you that my buttcrack does not show when I bend over. Anyway, that's rich coming from a used-car salesman! :lol:

'nuff said Image

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:38 am

Vaucluse wrote:
:lol: I can assure you that my buttcrack does not show when I bend over.

Oh NOOOO!!! The image!!!!! There goes the week!

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Re: dont we?

Postby locallass » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:50 am

Vaucluse wrote:Locallass - :) :) Just falling in love with Mrs. Vaucluse all over again and again and again . . . :) :)

Aww... so schweeeet!!! What a lucky woman Mrs Vaucluse is :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:57 am

varun wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
:lol: I can assure you that my buttcrack does not show when I bend over.

Oh NOOOO!!! The image!!!!! There goes the week!

- V.

What are Mondays for, if not to set the tone for the next 4 days. (At least I'm not fat nor hairy . . . Ah, the image intensifies!) :)

Locallass - :)

'nuff said Image

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:38 pm

At least I'm not fat nor hairy . . .

Yet mate, yet.
some signatures are more equal than others

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:40 pm

banana wrote:
At least I'm not fat nor hairy . . .

Yet mate, yet.

Fat or hairy? (egads, not both - surely)

'nuff said Image