Singapore Expats Forum

singapore is good

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:01 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:i thought bangla was just a short form for bangladeshi. no racial slur at all. there are two banglas who clean my estate and when i walk my dog everyday they wave happily and say hello and i wave happily back and say hello. just ordinary people doing our daily chores, and i appreciate their friendliness. they don't seem to resent me or think me racist just cos they're bangla. it's nice to know that some of them have a positive attitude to living and working in singapore.

now what is that supposed to mean?

btw I'm not outraged by any of what you say, as I have already set my expectations much lower for people from your race, country etc etc if I may add.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:06 pm

Hey man, I found a pic for your avatar. Fits nicely I think.

(seriously)
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:07 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Hey man, I found a pic for your avatar. Fits nicely I think.

(seriously)

ahem....I am not quite white!

Are you, by any chance?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:08 pm

bangladeshi_wonder wrote:
sapphire wrote:Isn't 'Bangla' a language? Now its a racial slur as well? :o

yes, in singapore and malaysia, it is.

I'm a little surprised you haven't come across this term during your stay in singapore, it's widely used (starting from taxi drivers to management level professionals).

How does it become a racial slur? I would imagine it would just be a short form for Bangladeshi. Like back home in India, we call Bengalis 'Bong'. Not meant to be a slur at all. Now I wonder what are Indians called.
No, I haven't come across this term, maybe 'cause I'm absent minded. :)
Last edited by sapphire on Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:09 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Hey man, I found a pic for your avatar. Fits nicely I think.

(seriously)

And I suppose it proves my point even more strongly, that not ALL caucasians/whites will generally lack an air of condescension, but if somebody does (IN singapore) it'll generally be a white/Caucasian.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:09 pm

It's not the colour nor the animal species which is important.
It's what covers its eyes and doesn't allow him to have an open mind.

Got it this time?

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:16 pm

sapphire wrote:How does it become a racial slur? I would imagine it would just be a short form for Bangladeshi. Like back home in India, we call Bengalis 'Bong'. Not meant to be a slur at all. Now I wonder what are Indians called.

It became a racial slur because that's how the general public chose to use it.

It hardly matters what you do or are used to doing in india, at least not to me.

so that you know I'm not making things up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs#B
Bangla
(Singapore & Malaysia) a Bangladeshi

http://www.talkingcock.com/html/lexec.php?op=LexView&lexicon=lexicon&alpha=B&page=1
BANGLA (Contributed by Andrew Yong)
Racist abbreviation of "Bangladashi

bear in mind the lack of freedom (of speech, expression etc) in singapore, and you'll realize how bad a slur it must be for a foreign population to be described as such in any country, and even more so on some website. Of course if you've actually come across the way people generally despise and use this word, you'll not need any such links to understand what I am referring to.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:19 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:It's not the colour nor the animal species which is important.
It's what covers its eyes and doesn't allow him to have an open mind.

Got it this time?

no, not really. maybe you can relate to the picture better so you should use it for your avatar, i don't know why any person will even suggest that to another one, but that's not important.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:23 pm

Well, if nothing matters to you, then stop posting crap here! Chill out, get drunk or something, sheesh!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:26 pm

sapphire wrote:How does it become a racial slur? I would imagine it would just be a short form for Bangladeshi. Like back home in India, we call Bengalis 'Bong'. Not meant to be a slur at all. Now I wonder what are Indians called.

And more importantly, sapphire, it's not about a single "racial' slur.

Can you explain WHY ALL singaporeans that I've met reacted vastly differently before AND after they came to know my nationality? In case you're wondering, I happened to be treated like some stray dog (repeateing for the umpteenth time) AFTER they came to know my nationality, religion, language etc etc etc.

Perhaps you're too absent-minded to notice them, but i'm sure you're not that feeble-minded to analyze the exact reason for their said behaviour.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:28 pm

sapphire wrote:Well, if nothing matters to you, then stop posting crap here! Chill out, get drunk or something, sheesh!

i think you're misunderstanding me. when did I say nothing matters to me? And which part of my posts resemble "crap" (except for the part that was referring to Vaucluse)?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:33 pm

You're way too sensitive and definitely lack a sense of humour. You can only be treated like a stray dog if you let yourself be treated that way. You seem to be educated enough to know how to turn the tables on these so called racist people. Instead of whining about this problem, look for a solution. I think you're smart enough to do that.

But first, lighten up for heaven's sake! :roll:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:36 pm

If ALL Singaporeans you met did that, it's obvious you did not meet a lot of them AND you are very unlucky when meeting people.

Open your eyes... and your mind.

Or if you decided to be forever a victim, don't complain.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:44 pm

sapphire wrote:You're way too sensitive and definitely lack a sense of humour. You can only be treated like a stray dog if you let yourself be treated that way. You seem to be educated enough to know how to turn the tables on these so called racist people. Instead of whining about this problem, look for a solution. I think you're smart enough to do that.

But first, lighten up for heaven's sake! :roll:

That's a broad generalization in itself and i beg to differ.

You don't get to be treated like a stray dog only IF you let yourself be. When the whole population is against you for something you can't change (like ethnicity, religion, language, nationality etc etc.), you really can't do much to help yourself. If only a tiny insignificant minority is against you, you can easily ignore them. But not IF the whole population is.

And I claim that to be true simply becaue of ALL the people I have met in Singapore, no nonwhite singaporean or foreigner ever treated me the same way before they knew my nationality, religion etc etc AND after they knew 'em.

Anyway it's not my intention to fill this board up with how singaporeans or many foreigners (including indians, for example) have been racist towards me.

I included those accounts to provide a perspective of life in singapore that not only many people knew about but thought can not exist. That's about it really. If you look closely sapphire, I don't quite see asking you or any Indian or other folks for help (so it's not quite whining), and I did & will do whatever I need to and however I need to, without whining.

I was just providing a different perspective, which many of you initially thought couldn't be true. And hence this protracted verbal exchange came to being, if you would.

bangladeshi_wonder
Regular
Regular

Postby bangladeshi_wonder » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:49 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:If ALL Singaporeans you met did that, it's obvious you did not meet a lot of them AND you are very unlucky when meeting people.

Open your eyes... and your mind.

Or if you decided to be forever a victim, don't complain.

Please tell me you have some evidence for what you state. It seems like you're generalizing.

Just ask ANY singaporean friend of yours if they'd like to hang out with you and some bangladeshi friend of yours. Next time note their reactions when you instead offer them to go and hang out with some japanese friend of yours.

If it turns out they're ALL equally eager or unenthusiastic in both cases, I'll agree with what you've said. Otherwise, you're just generalizing. And what you say would, quite naturally, sound like bullcrap to me, given what I've experienced with singaporeans (and many foreigners IN singapore).