Singapore Expats Forum

Planning my trip

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF
Regular
Regular

Planning my trip

Postby YF » Sat, 22 Oct 2005 6:07 am

So I am starting to plan my trip. I wasn't sure if it was better to buy my plane ticket first, or see if I can first a place to stay. I am planning on coming to Singapore ~middle December-middle January.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice/help for finding accomidation for a month. This is basically a working vacation for me and since I do theoretical work, do need internet access for my computer, along with a desk and chair and of course a bed to sleep in. Shared accomodation would be preferable.

I posted somthing on the other Forum but thought I could call on some of the regulars for some advice on finding a place, how much should I pay ($700-1000?), and where would be a good area, since I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere for my entire trip.

Thanks,
RDL

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:00 am

Hi Rob,

There's several options available.

The most expensive one would be to get a serviced appartment for a month, whic would set you back around S$ 1000 - S$ 1500 per week. In that case you will have a 1 or 2 bedroom condo appartment with all facilities and luxury included: pool, tennis, laundrymachine and laundry, maid service etc. They have in some cases wireless internet as well. From experience, good ones include Le Grove on Orange Grove road, right next to Shangri-La hotel. Couldnot get more central.

You could also go to any respectable hotel, most will have discount rates if you stay for a month. This could be the best price / quality 5 star hotel in town, Grand Copthorne Waterfront hotel ( http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore/grandcopthorne/ ), along Kim Seng Road, right next to the famous Zouk disco. Rooms here you normally get for about S$ 150 per night (standard superior room). This one has internet facilities. But you could also get to Bencoolen street for example and check other tourist class hotels there for around S$ 60 to S$ 100 per night. Good ones there are the recently renovated Hotel 81 (they have hotels all over the island, this one is the best, http://www.hotel81.com.sg/ ). If you want the 'cheapest' hotel with a pool (might come in handy here), try the YMCA hotel right downtown at the end of Orchard Road, great value for money ( http://ymca-hotels.com/singapore/ymca/ ).
All these will have special rates if you stay as long as a month.

You could also check the Costa Sands resorts, who have chalets for rent, different locations around the island: Costa Sands Resort (Downtown East), Costa Sands Resort (Pasir Ris), Costa Sands Resort (East Coast) and Costa Sands Resort (Sentosa).
Again, check their prices for long stay. ( http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore/costa_sands/ ).

But maybe here someone on the forum has a room for rent for your stay here? If you could find a room here to stay, expect to pay around S$ 500 to S$ 700 at most.

But most important: Do come to one of the WNDC's during your stay here! :wink:

See ya around?

Eric

YF
Regular
Regular

Places

Postby YF » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 4:12 am

Hey guys, so I was wondering if you could help me out. this is what I am looking at right now:

Here are a couple of my options so far. Could any of you tell be a bit about the locations since I obviously know NOTHING about Singapore:

(1) "The apartment is in Pasir Ris which is near the beach, near bus-stops, MRT, shops etc."

(2) "Melville Park, largest condo Estate in the EAST of Singapore
and is located next to Simei MRT station on the East-West line and east Point Mall"

(3) " Very near the east coast beach"

(4) " walking distance to SMU, new national library, plaza singapura, bugis junction, suntec city. Nearest MRT: dhobby ghout, bugis, little india"

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Places

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 8:10 am

YF wrote:(1) "The apartment is in Pasir Ris which is near the beach, near bus-stops, MRT, shops etc."

and very far from everything else! this is right on the east end of the island. not very accessible, but nice park and beach if you want space.

YF wrote:(2) "Melville Park, largest condo Estate in the EAST of Singapore and is located next to Simei MRT station on the East-West line and east Point Mall"

anything next to an mrt station makes it easier to get around, but it's still pretty far east. sleepy suburban area.

YF wrote:(3) " Very near the east coast beach"

the east coast area is popular with expats cos of the beach and good food. not too far from town either but since the advert didn't mention its near transport my guess if you may have to walk a bit to mrt or bus stops.

YF wrote:(4) " walking distance to SMU, new national library, plaza singapura, bugis junction, suntec city. Nearest MRT: dhobby ghout, bugis, little india"

this is smack in the middle of town.

my recommendation is option (3) or (4) if you want any kind of social life while you're here. personally i think (4) is a good option as it's near our spanking new Singapore Management University and our spanking new National Library. good places to inspire you to study / work yet enough night-spots etc for entertainment. but if you want a daily jog with decent tracks and scenery (3) may be better.

have fun planning your trip, and this may be premature but hope you like singapore and have a good stay here!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 9:05 am

No Rob,

you don't have to thank people for giving you advise...

Why would you? :?

Eric

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 9:26 am

Bit tetchy there Eric - I am sure it was an oversight . . . immediate gratification is not always the best policy.
One in the hand is worth two of something

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 9:40 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:No Rob,

you don't have to thank people for giving you advise...

Why would you? :?

Eric

Sorry, was an oversite. I had been meaning to thank you on my next post, but I was in a rush when writing this last one and forgot. Thanks thought, your advise was helpful, and yes, I will certianly be comeing to meet up with you guys for a drink.

Best,
RDL

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 9:59 am

no problemo Rob.... :wink:

bit of a grouchy mornings these days... :cry:

Anyway,

can subscribe to Wimh's comments, (3) and (4) are most likely the best options.

For (3) I can only add, that Bus 401 is a direct bus from Orchard / Downtown towards and along the East Coast. Also, there are several busses going to the MRT subway, from which it is only a 25 minutes to Downtown. Also know that condo's in the east are far cheaper than in downtown area (and more variety in design, architecture and more choice).

For (4), you'd be in the hustle and bustle of downtown Singapore. Recent research showed it is about 5-7 degrees higher temperatures there for example (funny but true), more traffic, more noise, more entertainment as well though.

Guess it comes to whether you want to stay in the crowds (4) or live in more relaxation (3). And as said, (3) is only about 25 minutes from (4)...

Places like Simei and Pasir Ris are indeed very much away from the city, more for a visit than for staying.

Eric

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 4:44 pm

Costa Sands on the east coast has a shuttle bus service going to Bedok MRT about ever half hour at peak times

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 6:30 am

Thanks for all the help guys (and girls). I just booked my flight. I arrive on the December 7th, and leave on January 4th. I think I am going to be renting the place which was close to SMU. The girl was asking $800 which seems pretty resonable given that its location seems pretty good.

Hopefully i'll come and meet you guys at one of your gatherings.

Best,
Rob

poetry in motion
Regular
Regular

Re: Planning my trip

Postby poetry in motion » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:21 am

YF wrote:This is basically a working vacation for me and since I do theoretical work, . . .

Glad to hear you've got your flights and accommodation sorted out.

Care to elaborate on the type of theoretical work you're doing? Is it part of a graduate thesis ?