Singapore Expats Forum

The Rat Monster!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 9:29 pm

Wham wrote:For the record - i like Mayonnaise on my Frites.

You're a closet Dutchie then?

'nuff said Image

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:46 pm

Whilst we're concerned with the anthropology of all things French and Dutch, what about caps?
some signatures are more equal than others

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:05 pm

Wham wrote:For the record - i like Mayonnaise on my Frites.

Dempsey Hut offers beers, frites AND mayonnaise.
:wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 1:57 pm

The only thing that comes close to the real thing is the Mayonaise at Oosters: creamy and the right balance between sweet 'n sour, not the awful English fish 'n chips vinegar influences you find all over this place here.

I agree with the Belgians here, it is them who founded it (according to my grand step great father back in 1700). And for the best fries with mayonaise on earth, you have to go to Antwerp, at the left side of the entrance of the infamous Antwerp Zoo, there is this small stall selling them: a large 'puntzak' bag of thick fries with lots of mayonaise.

Nothing beats that one.

Ah, you wannabees... :P

Eric

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 2:01 pm

well i was going to say it earlier but i did not want to come off as too snobbish - but I only eat frites with mayo if it is GOOD mayo - and preferably freshly made. Agree on Oosters being good mayo.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 2:18 pm

Wham, your posts make more and more sense. Are you sure you're really American? :wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 2:45 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Wham, your posts make more and more sense. Are you sure you're really American? :wink:

Go on, Wham - admit it - you're Canadian!!!
One in the hand is worth two of something

Plavt

Re: The Rat Monster!

Postby Plavt » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 6:32 pm

EADG wrote:
Plavt wrote:
YF wrote:A FWD: I had sent to me which I am pasing on for the regulars here -- I definitely got a chuckle out of this so it was worth passing on. It's a clip from a TV show called "Scare Tactics" where the elaborate practical joke is to scare the begeezuz out of someone -- so yes it's safe to open at work. For you closet masochists out there! haha, that rat is CREEPY!

http://www.bangedup.com/bu_posts/ratmonstermig74.wmvRDL

RDL

Sorry YF but I think American television so often exhibits a cheap sense of humor.

Plavt.

ever seen Singaporean TV?

which country does not have what you refer to as "a cheap sense of humor"?

so far everywhere I've been there is ample supply of Mediocrity For The Masses, and it gets ratings

Glad you metioned Singaporean TV, I have always wondered since I don't live there. As for the 'cheap sense of humor' what I meant is when American comedy is shown on British television a good many of us don't find it in the least bit funny. Why that should be I don't really know, cultural perhaps - as you no doubt already know what is funny to one race isn't funny to another.

Plavt.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 8:43 pm

Plavt wrote:Glad you metioned Singaporean TV, I have always wondered since I don't live there. As for the 'cheap sense of humor' what I meant is when American comedy is shown on British television a good many of us don't find it in the least bit funny. Why that should be I don't really know, cultural perhaps - as you no doubt already know what is funny to one race isn't funny to another.

you're probably right that it's cultural.

do you know why british movies never really take off in singapore? the jokes come on and everyone sits there not understanding good old dry wit! i wish they'd have more such movies but then again feel silly being the only one or two to guffaw throughout the movie while everyone else is silent and bored to bits.

slap-stick american humour, on the other hand, is a big hit here. i must say in the right mood i even enjoy that sometimes! :D

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 9:17 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:slap-stick american humour, on the other hand, is a big hit here. i must say in the right mood i even enjoy that sometimes! :D

seems that's what people generally think of when they think of American humor

funny that we know there to be an equal amount of American humor as dry and sacrastic as Brit humor

guess that's Hollywood for you
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:01 pm

EADG wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:slap-stick american humour, on the other hand, is a big hit here. i must say in the right mood i even enjoy that sometimes! :D

seems that's what people generally think of when they think of American humor

funny that we know there to be an equal amount of American humor as dry and sacrastic as Brit humor

guess that's Hollywood for you

if american humor (without the 'u' out of respect to you of course :wink: ) were automatically equated with slap-stick then i wouldn't have said "slap-stick american humour" would i? "american humour" would have sufficed.

so not all american humour is slap-stick, agree. but chances are if you see a movie with slap-stick in it, it's most likely american. then again, almost all movies here are american...

btw some singaporean humour is very slap-stick too, so it's not a us-bashing thing. and hollywood is a good thing, all things considered. seriously.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:05 pm

in 30 minutes on Arts TV channel great great American TV series: The Sopranos.

Brilliant, no other word for it.

Watch it, it is better than the forum! :wink:

Eric

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:19 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:if american humor were automatically equated with slap-stick then i wouldn't have said "slap-stick american humour" would i? "american humour" would have sufficed.

so not all american humour is slap-stick, agree.

..and you know that I know that you know that

Wind In My Hair wrote:but chances are if you see a movie with slap-stick in it, it's most likely american.

or Jackie Chan...
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:23 pm

EADG wrote:and you know that I know that you know that

i knew you'd know that i know that you know that i know that...

EADG wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:but chances are if you see a movie with slap-stick in it, it's most likely american.

or Jackie Chan...

and i love jackie chan movies too! :D