Singapore Expats Forum

The Rat Monster!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF
Regular
Regular

The Rat Monster!

Postby YF » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 4:11 am

A FWD: I had sent to me which I am pasing on for the regulars here -- I definitely got a chuckle out of this so it was worth passing on. It's a clip from a TV show called "Scare Tactics" where the elaborate practical joke is to scare the begeezuz out of someone -- so yes it's safe to open at work. For you closet masochists out there! haha, that rat is CREEPY!

http://www.bangedup.com/bu_posts/ratmonstermig74.wmvRDL

RDL

jag78
Regular
Regular

Postby jag78 » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 8:56 am

YF wrote:A FWD: I had sent to me which I am pasing on for the regulars here -- I definitely got a chuckle out of this so it was worth passing on. It's a clip from a TV show called "Scare Tactics" where the elaborate practical joke is to scare the begeezuz out of someone -- so yes it's safe to open at work. For you closet masochists out there! haha, that rat is CREEPY!

RDL

Thanks YF for that link :lol: The guy Bryant's a scream (pun intended)...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:32 am

Rob, I don't mean this personal, but this is exactly the kind of American "culture" I wish would stay away from Singapore.

Cheap voyeurism on human emotions, I find it sooo disgusting... :cry:

Eric

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:33 am

Eric,

This program is already here in Singapore, admittedly late at night. I guess this goes back to the scary movie thread & how we have become numb to things. What I mean is that the films that we thought were scary as children are not that scary now, but we still remember the fear they gave us.

To combat this numbing films have to get more scary by becoming more graphic & realistic. I guess the same applies to candid camera type shows as well (although thinking about it 'Just for laughs' is still pretty harmless).

Ok so the victim in this was carefully selected, it was obvious from the outset he was going to scream like a girl & not try to bat the rat to death. What I thought was really amazing was that despite his real fear he felt compassion & asked the rat if he needed help.

People have a cruel sense of humour, we like seeing others fall over, walk into lamp posts. Yes it is painful but we still snigger. This is just an advancement of jumping out & going "boo", we like to see people scared when there is nothing to be scared about. I guess it gives us a feeling of superiority as well as a cheap laugh. I admit I found it entertaining, but I have a sick & cruel sense of humour.

I was plugging in a fan the other day & my gf said I should unplug the other things first in case I got an "Ahhhrrrgggg!" I pretended to get a shock. Sick? probably Funny? I thought so anyway.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:40 am

Fair enough Baron,

I regard myself as having a pretty sick sense of humour as well sometimes. But that is in a personal life, not as an exhibitionist on tv. The 'candid camera' type of shows, in combination with todays' urge for 'real life soap series /docus', I just find it tasteless and cheap shallow nonsense.

Big brother, Amazing race, whatever it is called, it is depressing and boring imho.

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 9:14 pm

I might be a sick old bustard but I thought it was funny as hell! And no, I don't belive in being a PC wuss. If you laughed and then though it was sick you are only kidding yourself.

:devil: :mrgreen:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:02 pm

what a fcking queen
some signatures are more equal than others

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I might be a sick old bustard but I thought it was funny as hell!

you're not a SOB, sms. you're just american! :P

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Postby KT » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:19 pm

it looked so canned to me :roll:
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Fri, 21 Oct 2005 5:43 pm

Rack one up for the Aussie's.
I also thought it was funny as hell.
Wish I could borrow that little fella some time.

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:29 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Fair enough Baron,

I regard myself as having a pretty sick sense of humour as well sometimes. But that is in a personal life, not as an exhibitionist on tv. The 'candid camera' type of shows, in combination with todays' urge for 'real life soap series /docus', I just find it tasteless and cheap shallow nonsense.

Big brother, Amazing race, whatever it is called, it is depressing and boring imho.

Eric

candid camera shows have been on for years. I don' think its a western thing either. People like watching people. Look at all those strange Japanese game shows!

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Sat, 22 Oct 2005 7:05 pm

I thought it was really funny - the guy screamed like Ned Flanders :D

I don't like reality TV shows, but I don't consider that kind of show to be a reality TV show. Agree with YF, they have been around for years - the Big Brother/Amazing Race type shows have only appeared in the last 5 years or so and have already run their course from what I've been reading lately (viewing figures on them in the USA are right down lately with drama becoming much more popular)

These practical joke type shows will always be around as people like to laugh at someone elses expense.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sat, 22 Oct 2005 9:39 pm

i watched it 10 minutes ago and i am still chuckling. THAT WAS BRILLIANT! Mean and dirty - sure. But WHAT A HOOT!

Eric - come on! Lighten up. Not EVERYTHING has to be political. I don't watch much tv these days and hate the reality shows too - but i just see them as part of the evolution of entertainment - and you can't stop it.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:23 am

I was midly amused by it but also found it to be representative of the crap of what goes for populist entertainment in the States as in other countries with their own brand of pap

the problem with it is for some people is when they allow crap like that to unduly influence their image of some kind of what-is-and-what-is-not-American blah blah blah
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: The Rat Monster!

Postby Plavt » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:28 am

YF wrote:A FWD: I had sent to me which I am pasing on for the regulars here -- I definitely got a chuckle out of this so it was worth passing on. It's a clip from a TV show called "Scare Tactics" where the elaborate practical joke is to scare the begeezuz out of someone -- so yes it's safe to open at work. For you closet masochists out there! haha, that rat is CREEPY!

RDL

Sorry YF but I think American television so often exhibits a cheap sense of humor.

Plavt.