Singapore Expats Forum

What is the meanin for Yellow Ribbon?!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

yunnie

What is the meanin for Yellow Ribbon?!

Postby yunnie » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 6:53 pm

Wht the hell is the Yellow ribbon meant!!???
gav the ex a chance?!

How to give and it is really works?
as my ...just been sentence 3months for stealing
but the fact is she din do it all!!!

wht more the shop owner insult her
sai her :as u shld know you have a bad records..so help yourself,if you dun wan getting into more trouble and i wont call the police..You just need to pay 10times in what u steal!!

How can the shop owner sai these!!if he found her really stealing,then he should at the 1st thing to call the police,,but he wait for two hours..still dun knw what he want or how to deal with her..then he sai those insult words

After he sai those words..my...and her girlfriend..sai no way!and they insist want to call the police!!as they really din steal anythingS!
AS she really din steal a things so she make the police call!

but now the judge gav her sentence whic she din do it all!!so wht is the really meaning in Yellow Ribbon??
Even the judge dun gave a chance on a Ex..how the public goin to change!

It is an Ex words cannot be belive!
as my ...really din steal a thing!
and if she really steal a thing,why will she want call the police!
and the shop owner din call the police at the 1st place..as he sai she steal!

the Yellow Ribbon is just a useless talk and no use!
as the judge do not heard all the statement!
There is no White and Black!!!
Unfair!
if u r a EX..there is no turnin back and even You didnt do!
but no one will belive in You!Nobody will give You a chance to explain!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:50 pm

The whole point of the yellow ribbon "thing" I thought was to let ex-convicts get back into the workforce and let the have a second chance. However, from what I grasped from your post - which is not a lot, I have to say - your friend got accused of stealing and hung around in the shop (for two hours!) arguing about it with someone - who knew her well enough to know she had been in trouble before. Hmmm, I guess that comes under "petty squabble" and no, the yellow ribbon is not going to help you out there.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 9:28 pm

That's a big surprise as the ribbon is basically a get-out-of-jail-free card, like in Monolpoly . . .

Sigh . . . There is an old saying, loosely translated it goes something like this:

This person lives and Goethe had to die . . .

'nuff said Image

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 9:56 pm

How long has the Yellow Ribbon project been running? Give it time. Socio-cultural prejudices are the hardest to overcome. Just look at Wham.
some signatures are more equal than others

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:09 pm

I bet this is the same 'registered' troll as this 'sxq156284'. Please guys, can't you see this is all a wind up? He is getting his kick because all of you fall in the trap.

Stop answering this idiot please?

Eric

yunnie

Postby yunnie » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:09 am

What talking me?!!

the shop owner knows my ... have a bad records..as once in her teenager(she went to the girls home and jail)

the shop owner and my..knows each other for years
as they are in the same block..
all i can sai my..is careless..as she is carry a printer on one hand and one hand talking on the handphone ..as the hand is full so she put the thing in the printer bag..

But put the thing in the printer bag does not mean she is going walk out the shop and steal the thing ..

all i can is a stuipd misunderstanding..wht me angry is the shop owner
How can he insult my..
and really dun know what the judge thiking???!!!!
Why cant he hear the explain and the reason for the whole matter...
it is the stealing really real o just a mistake..

and there is soo many doubt!

1st..the shop owner din make the police call after he sai my..steal thing
he just wait and using his calculator doin his math(no ideal wht he is thinking)as he sai his shop have been shoplifting alot time!(maybe he wan to calcu how much he have lost in the shop)

2nd..after 2hours he finally cum up a sum..he tell my...and her gf
if they dun want to get into more trouble as u knw u have a bad records..just nee to pay 10times in what u steal!(the items cost $50)
so the total is $500..
the doubt is maybe the shop owner wan grap this chance so my...can be pay the sum which he have lost in the shop

3rd...of cos my..and her gf sai NO!!as they have already explained that they are not steal,they of cos will pay the thing after they done their shopping in the shop..they only make a mistake put the thing in the printer bag....

4...if the shop owner really thik they are stealin ..Why dun he just call the police at the 1st thing!!!he wait and wait for 2 hours with a calculator(what in his mind)

5...make the police call is my..and her gf!!Not the shop owner who sai they steal thing!

6...In the police station..my..thou she will get help from them!but wrong!
as i already sai before my..have a bad records..instead of gettin help from the police....
before the police ask my... what really happen in the shop..the police just ask my... to plead guilty!!!What a funny things!!
they dun bother to hear what is real happening!but 1st words out from them is plead guilty ah!!
I have always thoug the police is there to help but today i really know that singapore is only pretty in look only!
How can a police see a person just they have a bad records before!!Even a police lookin down in a EX!!No wonder there is no use in the Yellow ribbon!

My... have trying very hard and she finally found her new life!
but just becos she have a bad records..all the matter can just closed and gav her sentence..
maybe the police ,the shop owner and judge have the same thiking!(ah!You not the 1st time going to the jail ah!what is the truth!explain so much is no use ah!just go and sit ah!so the case can hurry closed leh!)

Dun they know the misunderstand and real stealing meant?
they just dun care!as a EX..she have no rights to sai her explain..
as even sai out..they wont hear as she is a EX!!
all her words cannot be belive!

In singapore..being an Ex is like been sentence for a life long dead!

jag78
Regular
Regular

Postby jag78 » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:21 am

Can somebody please :delete: I've no idea what this chap is rambling on about...

yunnie

Postby yunnie » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:41 am

If You all want delete!!!Do so!
All i can said is the world is so unfair to those who is an EX

As singaporean only luv to hear good things!

whatalark
Regular
Regular

yellow ribbon project

Postby whatalark » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:51 am

Yunnie, if your story is true, I am sorry for your ____ and the girlfriend. Back in Canada, a person has to be caught trying to LEAVE the store with unpaid-for goods in order to be accused of shoplifting. Your ____ should have argued to the judge that he/she had NOT yet LEFT the premises and therefore, not yet culpable (guilty).

I don't know if it is already too late, but seek legal recourse.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:00 am

yunnie wrote:If You all want delete!!!Do so!
All i can said is the world is so unfair to those who is an EX

As singaporean only luv to hear good things!

Get lost you troll... :delete:

Eric

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:03 am

Whatalark is spot on. Theft is appropriation of property. In a shop that means leaving without paying, as long as you do not damage the goods or alter them (such as swapping price tags) then there is no theft.

A law student who knew this once went around a shop stuffing his pockets with things, before he left they stopped him & accused him of shoplifting. As he had not left the shop the shopkeeper was in the wrong & the student sued them for slander & won. So that is why shopkeepers have to wait until the person leaves before they can do anything.

However Singapore law is probably different although it is based on UK law, so don't quote me.

I thought the yellow ribbon campaign was more about encouraging employers to employ ex cons, give them a second chance in society, as opposed to carte blanch 'get out of jail free' affair. But again I may be wrong.

If you want real legal advice you will have to pay for a lawyer.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

yunnie

Postby yunnie » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:09 am

No USE!!!AS the judge gave the reason is the thing is in the bag!!!
He dun belive my_and her girlfriend statement at all!!!!
and he dun bother the shop owner that he have insult My_
(maybe he aso thiking the same things..An Ex is always an Ex!)

AS i sai being an EX ...have no rights to explain!!
If my_ is a normal person who have no records..the whole matter will be diff!!!

maybe in the police station..the police will or willing to help?
in the court..the judge will hear the explain?

My_all this years have been trying very hard to change and have new life!all the family and friends have see her change from bad to now good!
when finding a jobs..she have a hard times!
when making new friends..she also have a hard times!as alot ppl look her down!
Nobody is born to be bad!in her teenage life..she make a big mistake and make wrong friends!
but she have change!

but in this matter!i really really disappointed!!!
i still remb My_ cried and shout (i not guilty)when the judge sai the sentence!
Last edited by yunnie on Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:12 am

:delete:

get lost you troll...

Eric

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:37 am

Eric are you ok dude? You seem to be a little short tempered today?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:43 am

I'm cool Baron, thanks for asking :wink:

Just these trolls...

Look at it, once someone like yourself gives a decent answer, the troll will not look into this information, but takes a sideroad with a new situation described and asks for more advice. He is fooling you, the lunatic. :?

Eric