Singapore Expats Forum

Hoi An and Nha Trang

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Hoi An and Nha Trang

Postby Em Eye » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 1:48 pm

Has anyone been to these places in Vietnam? Love to hear your experiences and thoughts. We are looking at either one for New Years.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:12 pm

I went to Hoi An earlier this year & it is beautiful! We had a week in Vietnam & had a bit of a whistle stop tour. A couple of days in Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh. But Hoi Anh was how I imagined Vietnam to be. It was definitely my favorite part of the holiday. The people all over the country are really very friendly, where we stayed there was a girl who adopted us a bit. As it was a small village type place we bumped into her on our last day & she whisked us away to her mother's shop to get some clothes made.

Ok so I would recommend you spend 3 or 4 days there, find the cooking class (which is a nice way to meet others who are visiting). It is dead easy & more like watching a cooking program where there is a bit of audience participation. Then you eat the meal. Get some clothes made, you can even bring something you really like wearing & they will replicate it for you in different colours or materials.

My Son (ruined temple) is worth a visit as well, but the taxi will take an hour or so to get there, but it is worth it for the view & photo opportunity of all the paddy fields.

Ahh remembering it makes me want to go again - which we will definitely do in the future. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:35 pm

Thanks BG! Just what I needed to hear. I've read abit about Hoi An and it sounds pretty amazing. My partner wants a few days on the beach as well did you go all?

Did you fly to Da Nang or get to Hoi An another way? We can only go to either Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh which did you prefer?

Thank you soooo much

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:48 pm

We flew to Denang, we arranged our internal flights while we were in Ho chi Minh - which I prefered slightly to Hanoi, but there is not much in it. In Hanoi we had a more 'cultural' time & went to art museums but there was a definate communist propaganda feel to the art. We also went to the water puppet show in Hanoi which was worth a visit.

For beaches in Vietnam have a look at: http://www.bugbog.com/beaches/vietnam_beaches.html

We didn't go to any so I can't give you a personal recommendation
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

yuks
Regular
Regular

Postby yuks » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 6:44 pm

I've been to both and I second Hoi An. If you want beaches, the Thai beaches are so much nicer - the scenary is quite similar to Krabi actually.

Hoi An is a quaint little town, and as Baron mentioned, it's what I imagined a little vietnamese town to be. Had my Ao Dai made for dirt cheap! It's a town full of tailors, restaurants and historical buildings. It's just fun walking around town, and the half day trip out to the ruins is definitely worth it as well, but if you are pushed for time and/or have been to Angkor Wat I'd probably give it a miss.

In terms of cities, I personally prefered Hanoi as it has more of 'culture' and arts side to it. I just enjoyed walking around town looking at the galleries, stopping at cafes and enjoying the architecture.

Enjoy!

lshand

Hoi Ann Nha Trang

Postby lshand » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 4:36 pm

I too have been to both. Thought Hoi Ann was fantastic. City of lanterns and great art. Would go there again in a heartbeat.

Didn't think much of nha Trang. Australians are spoilt for beaches though.