Singapore Expats Forum

Reading Recommendations

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:11 pm

sapphire wrote:Vaucluse, Indo-spiritual? Now, why does everything connected to India have to be spiritual? :evil:

Locallass, I have 'A Suitable Boy', can borrow it from me if you like. Wasn't quite up to my expectations...

I don't like Salman Rushdie's style of writing, although Midnight's Children was decent.

A Fine Balance by Mistry was bloody depressing, I can't stand Indian authors who sell the squalor of India in the name of good writing! That book wouldn't let up on the misery aspect!! Sheesh!

I quite liked An Equal Music, enjoyed it actually.

These are my opinions only, as always, not to be taken too seriously. :P

A suitable boy was an acceptable read - nothing too brilliant.

Ah, sapphire - giving me one of your looks again. . . The reason I said spiritual is because of the books suggested. Thought that would be obvious . . . Sheesh - I don't necessarily associate all things Indian with spirituality. (well, there was this one lass in Goa once when I was a student . . . close to spiritu snip, snip, snip . . . self-censorship at work)

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:25 pm

Haha, Goa and spirituality, that I would agree with, only under the influence of...
I think Goa beckons me, its on my To Do list for next year all by myself...no hubby, no friends, just yours truly! :D

The books mentioned had nothing to do with spirituality really, unless you count Siddhartha as one.

The best book that Vikram Seth has written is The Golden Gate. That book was something else, written entirely in rhyming sonnets. Beautiful!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:31 pm

sapphire wrote:Vaucluse, Indo-spiritual? Now, why does everything connected to India have to be spiritual? :evil:

Locallass, I have 'A Suitable Boy', can borrow it from me if you like. Wasn't quite up to my expectations...

I don't like Salman Rushdie's style of writing, although Midnight's Children was decent.

A Fine Balance by Mistry was bloody depressing, I can't stand Indian authors who sell the squalor of India in the name of good writing! That book wouldn't let up on the misery aspect!! Sheesh!

I quite liked An Equal Music, enjoyed it actually.

These are my opinions only, as always, not to be taken too seriously. :P

Thanks sapphire, I'll be happy to take up the offer :D

The only book I've read from Salman Rushdie was Haroun and the Sea of Stories. Somebody happened to have it, so I borrowed it. Regretably it isn't very good. I hope it's not indicative of Rushdie's writing?

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 5:18 pm

I agree with Sapphire on Salman Rushdie - I had mentioned Midnight's Children earlier on in the thread - I really enjoyed that. I didn't get very far into any of his other books: I put The Satanic Verses away after not really enjoying it...he does admittedly have a weird way of getting to the point. Possibly "Midnight Children" is one of the books that stands out. I think it got into that BBC Top 100 reads of all time last year...

I totally agree with the depression thing re: "A Fine Balance", but I still really enjoyed it.

Books are a very personal thing though...

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 5:44 pm

Locallass, you're on, let me know where and when.

Sputnik, I have vowed never to touch a Mistry ever again, not if he sells the same BS he did in A Fine Balance. That book is so powerful in selling misery, totally disgusting. I guess you can say its very well written to evoke such strong emotions!

Rushdie got famous 'cause of the fatwa. :lol:

Anyone read Paulo Coelho? 'The Alchemist' and 'Veronica Decides to Die' are the ones I've read of him. I liked the latter more, maybe 'cause I was very sick at that time, haha.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 7:41 pm

I read The Alchemist. It was a very gentle, meandering story - but I kept thinking that I wasn't 'getting' the symbolism, and that the story wasn't getting anywhere...it was okay, but I also preferred another of his books: The Devil & Miss Prym.

What about anything by Louis de Bernieres or Yann Martell 'The Life of Pi"

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 9:46 pm

Y'all realise this thread is now technically defunct...
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 8:06 am

banana wrote:Y'all realise this thread is now technically defunct...

Thanks for pointing out the obvious! :roll:

Moving right along, yep have read the 'The Life of Pi', thoroughly enjoyed it. I would have never guessed that he was cruising with a tiger. Beautifully written book, visualising the whole scenario was so easy, that I think is the hallmark of a good writer. Haven't read Louis de Bernieres. Which book of his should I pick up?

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:03 am

sapphire, check PM :)

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:06 am

sapphire wrote:Thanks for pointing out the obvious! :roll:

You're welcome! :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:59 am

Louis de Bernieres "Captain Corelli's Mandolin". I think this is one of my all time favourite books, although a bit of a weepy (definitely not on Mistry-depression scale though). There was a film made of the book - avoid this, as it absolutely ruins the book.

I also liked his other books, "Cardinal Guzman", "The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts", "Red Dog", "Senor Vivo and the Coca Lords" & "Birds Without Wings", but Captain Corelli is still the best of them all. Very amusing, very touching - I loved it.

Liked the tiger in "Life of Pi"...Richard Parker, wasn't it?

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 2:40 pm

Books that I find interesting....not sure if they are weighty :)

Ishmael - Daniel Quinn

Altas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

The Stranger - Albert Camus

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 3:59 pm

Richard Parker, it was!
Unfortunately, I did watch that movie - Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Sucked bigtime!

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 6:25 pm

Oh noooo...The film was so bad. Honestly, don't let it put you off. Nicholas Cage was THE WORST choice for the role. It is a shame that you have seen it though. I hate that when I read books after seeing the film. Especially when the film was really crap.

There are hardly any decent films made from books. Pride & Prejudice, the BBC version of the Jane Austen book wasn't bad...nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 8:56 am

1948 anyone? Thats a rather interestingly pessimistic book... :wink:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...