Singapore Expats Forum

Reading Recommendations

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 7:41 am

Aww crap! You've already read it! Hmm...EADG, I haven't read any of Gita Mehta's books, will look this one up.

Further on reading, another Indian writer who is just awesome is Amitava Ghosh, I'm currently reading his Glass Palace. Any book by him is also very highly recommended. Anyway, you have lots of choice now, happy reading!

Don't forget to look outside the window Ma'am Viceroy while travelling, Indian countryside can be quite amazing. :)
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:06 am

sapphire wrote:Aww crap! You've already read it! Hmm...EADG, I haven't read any of Gita Mehta's books, will look this one up.

Further on reading, another Indian writer who is just awesome is Amitava Ghosh, I'm currently reading his Glass Palace. Any book by him is also very highly recommended. Anyway, you have lots of choice now, happy reading!

Don't forget to look outside the window Ma'am Viceroy while travelling, Indian countryside can be quite amazing. :)

Loved Glass Palace. Don't worry - I will not read the entire time - just like to be well prepared. Remember running out of reading material while in Cozemel and paying $30 USD for a crappy Sydney Sheldon paperback.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:34 am

Sydney Sheldon, haha, I know what you mean. I had bought one too, what a waste of time and money!

Ok so you've read Glass Palace...well, any book of Ghosh is a good read. I bet you've also read this one - The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Sweetly aching book if that makes any sense.
Then there's always John Irving, makes for a heavy reading. And Bill Bryson! Have you read all his books?
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:34 am

sapphire wrote:Aww crap! You've already read it! Hmm...EADG, I haven't read any of Gita Mehta's books, will look this one up.

no need, Manager Sapphire, I can bring it Wed.

and The Mists as well if our traveller will grace us with her presence
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:38 am

Thanks EADG! I knew you were a sweetie! Have you read any of Amitava Ghosh? Can bring one for ya. Our traveller is leaving for India today, so obviously she can't make it this Wednesday.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:44 am

The feeling is definitely mutual, Mary - have a great time, experience as much as you can, stay safe and return well! :wave: :kiss:

(Am re-reading Hermann Hesse - 'The Glass Bead Game - at the moment, original version, of course. Sorry to meander from the Indo-spiritualist genre . . . )

'nuff said Image

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Postby KT » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:11 am

nostalgia !!

banana wrote:but do stop in Goa and rekindle your hippy childhood
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:18 am

how about the Illiad by Homer? its not very thick.. But it's hell to understand... Haha.. 3 months and stil on page 3... :P :P

I don't think you would wanna read my genre of books.. they ARE weighty... But a mortal like you won't be able to take it.... :lol: :lol: min 1200 pages of dry factual content... Anybody wanna guess wat the genre is? :wink:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:45 pm

The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters - Julian Barnes

Really good book for holiday reading or something to pick up & read in bed. All the chapters are short stories in themselves. It starts with an animal that has stowed away on Noah's arc & it is written from that point of view. Then each chapter has a common theme of water or traveling by water. A cruise ship that is taken by terrorists around WW1, Amazon expedition, space ship coming down for a water landing. Then the last chapter is an interesting view of heaven where you can go shopping with a limitless credit card & sleep with anyone you like.

I have tried other Julian Barnes but this has got to be my favorite

Sorry if you have already left for your holiday & I missed the boat :wink:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:53 pm

How about The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy? It's a Booker Prize winner and well deserving of the prize with its sensuous prose, keen insights into human nature and suspenseful narrative. Also a great way to get into the mood for your holiday in India.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 1:53 pm

Thats interesting locallass, never thought of it as sensuous prose, and also wondered why did that book deserve a Booker. I put it down to being a simple but insightful read. I have a feeling Ma'am Viceroy has surely read it already! Btw, I think Arundhati Roy is kind of pretty in a scruffy way, isn't she? :)

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 2:07 pm

Sapphire, the book has a rich Indian flavour and vivid descriptions of the way of life there. Perhaps that was more striking for me because I come from another culture? I also loved the plot device of going round and round, circling around the mystery until it is finally revealed.

I enjoyed the book a lot. It gets two thumbs up from me.

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 3:31 pm

locallass wrote:How about The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy?

I also read this book. It was quite a good read, but I didn't think it was that great. I much prefer Salman Rushdie - Other fantastic books were "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry, "An Equal Music" and "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth. These three were really outstanding reads...all giving very different insights into the Indian culture.

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 3:54 pm

A Suitable Boy is on my reading list. Will check out the other two based on your recommendations too. Thanks sputnik! :)

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:04 pm

Vaucluse, Indo-spiritual? Now, why does everything connected to India have to be spiritual? :evil:

Locallass, I have 'A Suitable Boy', can borrow it from me if you like. Wasn't quite up to my expectations...

I don't like Salman Rushdie's style of writing, although Midnight's Children was decent.

A Fine Balance by Mistry was bloody depressing, I can't stand Indian authors who sell the squalor of India in the name of good writing! That book wouldn't let up on the misery aspect!! Sheesh!

I quite liked An Equal Music, enjoyed it actually.

These are my opinions only, as always, not to be taken too seriously. :P