Singapore Expats Forum

Part time Masters Course

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

pramacha

Part time Masters Course

Postby pramacha » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 1:13 pm

I am interested in pursuing the Masters in Counselling course offered by Monash Universty in Singapore . Is such a course acceptable in Singapore when seeking for employment as it is a part time distance program. Will the copmpanies in Singapore accept such certificates? Please advise as the deadline is over in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:34 pm

I have been researching this recently too. If you want your qualifications recognised (which obviously you do, or else why do it?), you should have registration with a counsellor/education/psychologists board at the completion of your study. To meet these requirements, you have to have a certain number of hours in supervised practice. If you are registered with an Australian board, then yes, this is recognised by the Psychological Association here.

Out of interest, who is the Monash course run through here?

pramacha

Postby pramacha » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 9:25 am

Thank you for replying...

The course is run by TMC in Singapore.

I have yet to find a profeesional body for counsellors in SG n still unsure of where i can find the contact numbers....

Nevertheless the search continues...

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 8:55 am

Can I just ask what background you are coming into this with? I'm a teacher, so I have noticed that there are a few options at the National Institute of Education (NIE) here. They have part time courses (with supervision content) and the big bonus being that they are all obviously approved by the correct boards here. Also the fees are significantly lower than TMC. I think Nangyang Tecnological Uni also has something similar, but as I say I have been looking at this coming from a teaching background, so if you are a psychologist for example, then things will be different.

pramacha

Postby pramacha » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 2:31 pm

In regards to my background, I was also a teacher from the Mininstry of Education and after 4 years i quit from the service. I will research more from NIE as I was a teacher counsellor for 3 things as I majored in Psychology ... i am so lost over my options n i the deadline is next week...Arrrrrgggghhhhhhh Stress stress stress

pramacha

Postby pramacha » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 2:45 pm

i did check out the NIE WEBSITE but their masters programme does not focus in counselling which is wat i aspire to do. By the way, what are the requirements to be a school counsellor in sg n who oversees the department? At least i can call them up and find an avenue.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 3:06 pm

Aha! We're on teh same page tehn. Check this out:

http://www.nie.edu.sg/html/meduc/meduc_guidance.htm

It's the M.Ed. (majoring in guidance counselling) run through the NIE. Note that there is a practicum involvement. Unfortunately this is the extent of my research, so I don't know much about who runs it or whatever, but might be worth a phone call.

Best of luck, anyway.

pramacha

Postby pramacha » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 3:27 pm

Thank you dear... I am in the process of calling the Psychological Services department @ 68386635 and checking with them if the Monsh course is acceptable to become a school counsellor in SG... will let u know if i get a reply from them... If i opt for the M.Ed programme, I would have my narrow my job opportunities only in the education arena ... so I am still thinking about my job prospects as well