Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore version of Crap Service at DEMPSY HUT

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Singapore version of Crap Service at DEMPSY HUT

Postby Wham » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 9:33 am

So it is 6:15 on Saturday evening and i had a huge craving for a burger. So i head to Dempsy Hut with my 1 1/2 yr old daughter. There are two tables there with people and the place is otherwise empty. I ask if they have burgers because the first time i was there i had a steak. The guy says no more but if i had been there earlier they would have. Puzzled i ask if that means they ran out. He smiles and says yes. Something doesn't add up so i inquire further. He then says that they stop selling burgers between 5:30 and 6:00 on weekend and switch to the evening barbacue menu. I ponder for a moment, look around at all the empty tables, and VERY NICELY ask if it is possible to get just two - and that i could even do take-away. He checks with the manager and comes back to say it is not possible. I take a deep breath, ponder reading him the riot act along with things like "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE %^$&^%$&%ING KIDDING ME!" - and then decide against it because i don't want to risk spit on my steak or burger next time i go there.... and then go to the American Club for a nice burger.

The point of this whole tirade is that ALMOST ANY RESTAURANT MANAGER outside of Singapore would have smiled and said "sure - no worries." But here you get "sorry - cannot." It's almost like they just don't want your business...

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:09 am

This is a typical Singaporean 'can not think outside the box, lah' reaction. That is why we eat at the American Club: the price is right, the food is good and they are willing to work with you. :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:14 am

great if you're American, I guess . . . :lol:

Well, Wham - good that you didn't swear your guts out in front of the little one - I must admit to being guilty of that . . . temper, temper, temper.

Or:

Ok Whm - GuD dAt u dIN SwEa ur GUtS Out in FRon O d Lil 1
(ah, forget it - too difficult)

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:20 am

Vaucluse wrote:great if you're American, I guess . . . :lol:

First of all, you don't have to be American to join the American Club and (2) there are lots of clubs around that cater to all kinds of budgets, interests and ethnic slants.

I'm not condoning eating every meal at the Club, but the scenario played out for Wham and baby Wham is not unusual and makes a club setting that much more appealing. Plus, cokes at the AC are $1.95, at Crossroads at the Marriott across the street they are $7.50.

Hey Wham -- make sure you wake me up before you go-go...

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:47 am

MHB, i agree re the club being easy for kids - and frankly the reason we joined is because they are SO OVERLY ACCOMODATING for kids that we find ourselves there at least once a weekend for lunch or dinner. However, on Sat night I was really in the mood for a different setting and that is why i went to the hut.

Vaucluse - I find the ability to control my temper to be one of the best things that i have learned from Singapore. As a boss told me 16 yrs ago during my first stint here: "Wham, when you lose you temper here in Singapore, YOU are the one who loses face." It also makes it kind of for those times when you REALLLY DO NEED to lose your temper - like when my wife got me some stupid Gucci Shoes for my birthday and they would only give me a store credit that i would never use - so i went CRAZY ANGMO and in order to keep the noise down they gave me a full refund.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:49 am

Dempsey hut is a weird place Wham... Afternoon visits: perfect, there is this bit older Chinese Singaporean guy (thought he was the manager, but I am not sure if he really is), this guy is so unbelievably friendly and helpful, one almost feels embarassed by how friendly he is.
The going there at night for dinner is the complete opposite. This older man is no longer there and the place is run by almost hostile and extremely rude people. The funny thing is, in the afternoon (saturdays most of the time) there is the old man and a young girl serving, with most of the time about 20 customers when I am there.
At night there is around 4 waiters and 2 staff at the bar itself. They serve the same amount fo people, if not less, and they just make it hell on earth.
Last time I got so fed up with the lacking service and rudeness, that I walked away halfway dinner. Imagine the waiters were less than 2 metres away from us and didnot even notice...

I will only go there in the afternoon. And after reading your expierence here, I will make sure I get there before 5.30pm....

The American Club as alternative? Naah, thanks, but no way I will go there once again. Too American for me...

And after all, I am in Singapore, foodheaven if you know the right places, I am not in America. :?

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:27 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:The American Club as alternative? Naah, thanks, but no way I will go there once again. Too American for me...

And after all, I am in Singapore, foodheaven if you know the right places, I am not in America. :?
Eric

So strange how you are binary on this issue.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:43 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:The American Club as alternative? Naah, thanks, but no way I will go there once again. Too American for me...

Eric

So strange how you are binary on this issue.

Aren't you? Very seriously...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:48 am

Mary - i felt the same way about the American Club as Eric before i had children. Having kids makes all the difference. Then all those things that i didn't like (too many kids and Way Amercian to name two) - became assets.

Eric - Interesting observation - could just be more of a staff thing. I was there two weeks ago on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and after a pleasant experience was thinking - there should be more places like this in Singapore. Will now try and stick to the 5:15 early weekend dinner thing...

And speaking of crap service - i had lunch at Ooosters (Belgian Mussels and beer in China Square) two weeks ago and they actually FORGOT one of the entrees. AND THAT was after delivering the last entree 30 minutes after the initial 4 entrees - so at this point we were almost ready to leave and it was too late to rectify. When it became apparent that they forgot one, we got a big "ohhh" - but no apology and hardly even a realization of what had happened because of course one staff took the order and two others delivered. As i was in business company, i also bit my tongue so as not to embarass anyone. Anyway, revenge will be the fact that they place has horrible staffing problems and will be out of business in 6 months. The idiots who invested but didn't bother to take an interest will get what they deserve.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:50 am

I used to go to that place quite often in the past, because I live not far. It used to be very good even in the evenings.

And at that time there was "this bit older Chinese Singaporean guy " who is one of the managers. Eric, I guess we must be talking about the same guy, a bit fat and with very short hair?

He is indeed a very nice guy, one day he wanted to thank me because I had brought several new customers. He kept serving free beers which at the end I almost had to refuse...

But since a few months it has really been going down in terms of service, I have experienced all what you describe.

Eric, once again, next time you go (before 5:30 of course!) give me a call. We'll check if it's the same guy in front of a Hoegaarden. :wink:

American Club? For me the word "Club" is already suspicious...

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:56 am

Wham, Ooosters out of business in 6 months? No way!

Service is may be not very good - I also experienced small problems last Wednesday but it was solved in a humoristic way - but they are the only ones who serve such a selection of excellent beers.

So if you don't want to go, don't, but don't ask for the place to be bombed and removed from the map!

Thanks in advance.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:22 pm

CD, we will once again enjoy a Hoegaarden together. You know what, I have a business idea: CD and Eric as spiritual travellers, doing the beer tasting in Singapore, I will call my contacts at Mediacorp this week... :D 8)

La Reinne, I don't mind having western food in Singaporean restaurants in Singapore, but I will not seclude myself from Singapore and get into foreign premises like an American Club. Also, I hate 'clubs' as such. I don't like this 'private' snobish way of pretending I need to be in 'my own' little space on earth. The only membership for me is in sports, California fitness and LA dance connection, amidst Singaporeans.

I would never visit the Dutch club, Swiss club, English club or American club. Not my cup of tea, I would feel sick visiting these places.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Wham, no offense meant regarding the American club, don't worry... :wink:

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:36 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I would feel sick visiting these places.

Eric

Well, of course it doesn't. Why exactly would it? :roll:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:42 pm

Only once again? Hope not the last one though :wink:

Let's study your business idea very thoroughly...

And I agree with your comments about clubs. :wink:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:42 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I would feel sick visiting these places.

Eric

Well, of course it doesn't. Why exactly would it? :roll:

helps a bit, like in explaining why I don't visit these clubs.

no more, no less...

Eric