Singapore Expats Forum

REST IN PEACE

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

REST IN PEACE

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 9:31 am

One Dell Inspiron 4000 800mhz. She has had a good run for the past 4 years (the last 2 of which were spent as a desktop replacement running 18/7). Last night she was stirred out of her slumber when I returned from the office and her mouse ports had become inactive (as well as her touchpad - I so liked stroking her touchpad). Additionally her HDD became extremely noisey and then on the third or fourth reboot decided to only load three dlls in safemode before formally expiring. :cry: :shit:

Unfortunately, I have not backed up for a while so I've probably lost between 1 & 2 months of data. Now have got to look for another 2nd wife (As my first wife called her). :wink:

Not sure whether to replace her with a desktop or a big notebook desktop replacement like the Dell 9300 series with the widescreen 17" or the equivalent Acer. I believe both offer "Extended" Desktop capabilities which I want. Anybody know anything about these big Notebooks other than the fact that they are damned heavy. I'm not worried about carrying them all over Singers just to use them a McDonalds or Starbucks. But am looking at the ability to take her to the US for a month at a time as a desktop replacement but portable.

sms

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 9:38 am

From experience, I had a few of the Dell inspirons and despite being a Dell fan (At home I work with a superb Dell desktop), I am not a favorite of the Inspirons series. I have had too many problems with crashed harddisks. Since HP took over Compac, I have had great HP Compac notebooks, the latest being the NC6000 model. The most stable laptop I have ever worked with. I bought it at Funan, 3000 Sing, beginning of this year. Not too heavy either.

An alternative would be the IBM T51, which also was great value. When working at Intel, the techies there told me I should always stick to the IBM notebooks, the best choice according to those processor guys.

my 2 cents... I am not a techie sms, just a marketeer of the IT stuff, which means marketing airbubbles as you know... :mrgreen:

Eric

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 9:55 am

I used to work for IBM in the UK. So I may be a tad biased, but the sales pitch for the notepads was incredible, I have even seen ones rescued from fires where the casing has all been melted but they still start up. They have won so many awards for their engineering. However they are not cheap, Dells are much cheaper as are Acer.

If I had the money I would buy an apple or an IBM laptop.

If you are thinking of taking & using in the US then IBM will give you support there - not sure about the others, but the bigger the brand name the more probable.

Good luck SMS not an easy decision, but if you have been happy with Dell in the past then maybe the choice is an obvious one. My GF has an Acer which works fine, although it can be a bit odd now & it's only a few months old, like the wireless port says it is not connected but it works fine - :?

When shopping for it we found some very attractive ones with a totally unheard of brand (for the life of me I can't remember - Titan maybe?). They were supposedly the company that make the laptops for Sony so were identical but without the badge & therefore much cheaper - if you believe everything you hear in the Funan centre :wink:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:59 pm

Gosh I hope I did'nt put the kybosh on you Sunday.
No clicking I hope.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 7:41 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:From experience, I had a few of the Dell inspirons and despite being a Dell fan (At home I work with a superb Dell desktop), I am not a favorite of the Inspirons series. I have had too many problems with crashed harddisks. Since HP took over Compac, I have had great HP Compac notebooks, the latest being the NC6000 model. The most stable laptop I have ever worked with. I bought it at Funan, 3000 Sing, beginning of this year. Not too heavy either.

An alternative would be the IBM T51, which also was great value. When working at Intel, the techies there told me I should always stick to the IBM notebooks, the best choice according to those processor guys.

my 2 cents... I am not a techie sms, just a marketeer of the IT stuff, which means marketing airbubbles as you know... :mrgreen:

Eric

My opinion of all laptops & note books at this time, is that they have difficulty to handle multi tasking, and even desktops are slowing, due to the fact all applications are getting bigger and bigger, not only that, you do need more applications running at the same time. for security against spybots,. You will notice in the bottom right hand corner, that nearly all applications running in the background, are used quite often.

I would wait to buy another laptop, and settle for a desk top, due to the fact they can handle the work load better than a laptop.

If you delete all the microsoft office programms it gets easier, but one cannot do without excel, word and publisher.

I believe the technology to be stagnant, and have yet to see a fast computer doing multi tasking, not even the best graphic card and processor are good enough today. A break through is needed I guess!

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 7:04 pm

Wrong Forum old man.
some signatures are more equal than others