Singapore Expats Forum

BMW in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Paw

BMW in Singapore

Postby Paw » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 5:13 pm

hi everyone ,

pls guys share with me your any opinions about BMW brand in Singapore.
What do you associate this brand with ? Would you get a car like that ? If no - why ? If yes - also why ?

Thanks so much - I am working on the public opinion poll in that matter.

Cheers and hope to hear from u ALL very soon :)

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 5:54 pm

Wouldn't be my first choice, but depends what you're looking for, read on........................... :lol:

According to a new German car magazine survey, BMW drivers have all the luck.

BMW drivers have more sex than owners of any other cars and are much more active than Porsche drivers. The German magazine "Men's Car" found in a survey of 2,253 motorists aged 20 to 50 published in its inaugural May issue that male BMW drivers say they have sex on average 2.2 times each week while Porsche drivers have sex 1.4 times per week. Following BMW drivers were Audi (2.1), Volkswagen (1.9), Ford (1.7) and Mercedes (1.6). Drivers of foreign car makes were also behind BMW with Italian cars (2.0), French (1.9), Japanese (1.8, Swedish (1.6) and Korean cars (1.5) trailing after. Among women, French car drivers were top with 2.1 times per week followed by Audi (2.0), Italian (2.0), and BMW (1.9) with Porsche again at the bottom of the scale at 1.2 times per week.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 6:05 pm

interesting, this survey on sex and BMW... :D

My sexual activity was not influenced actually, when I changed from BMW (The Netherlands) to Toyota (Singapore).

For me BMW stands for good design, great performance, sportive, high quality. Back in Europe the car is driven by mainly those who know how to handle these cars, sportive and active driving.

In Holland I was driving a BMW and my wife had hers as well, here that would be impossible...

Here in Singapore though I am sometimes amazed by what people drive the 6 or 7 series. Their driving style is more catered for a Hyundai accent or alike: slowish, blur and aweful drivers. I find the car here underused and too much status focussed. To be seen in a 645 here seems to be more important than the ability to really drive that car well.

I see that confirmed in the ads on BMW. For example, the advertising of the 7 series: it is all about luxury, status, wanting to be among the rich and famous and make believe you are a 'uebermensch' when owning a 7 series.

On top of that, I find the BMW here way overpriced. A mere 165K for a 318 is just ridiculous.

To drive a BMW is sheer driving pleasure, for sure. If you take the car to its limits that is.

But in Singapore: overpriced and not needed.

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 6:09 pm

What he said!

'nuff said Image

GarethDavies

Good old days....

Postby GarethDavies » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 8:53 pm

I've been a regular BMW driver for the past 3-4 years.... before I left the UK on my round the world trip about 6 weeks ago. Saying goodbye to friends and family which as you all can imagine was difficult but saying good bye to my BMW which wasn't even mine (Company Car) was awful..... it upsets me even thinking about it……. maybe a little over the top!!!!

To be honest I'm not really a car person, although I did get addict to Top Gear before I left.... however BMW's are amazing cars. Back home I was a 30,000 miles a year man and I can honestly say from the heart I never had a single issue with all the BMW's I've had. They are so well designed, engineered and they look so so so good.... best cars in the world in my eye's apart from the obvious ones like Ferrari.

The people on the other side of the bridge who slag off BMW's and BMW drivers are only jealous they don't have drive one.... its simple as that!

They are expensive but you get what you pay for.... I'm going to have to cut this short I've got a tear forming at the thought of my car in the company car park sat all alone confused where I am.... I did tell her I was going away for 13 months but it don’t think it registered!

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:11 pm

I'm going to take a brave step and mention BMW, Nazi Germany and the jewish Holicaust.
The rest I will leave to you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:29 pm

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb . . .
Last edited by Vaucluse on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

'nuff said Image

GarethDavies

Postby GarethDavies » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:33 pm

I think it's probably best to stick with the BMW discussion.....

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:42 pm

Apples and oranges
Last edited by Shilo2010 on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:48 pm

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb

(Why can't I delete this post?)
Last edited by Vaucluse on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'nuff said Image

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:56 pm

:P

citizen deek

Postby citizen deek » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 1:51 am

shilo is that you in the pic?

what car do you drive?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 7:38 am

Vaucluse wrote:Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb

(Why can't I delete this post?)

So you finally changed it...

Deleting? Only possible if you are the last poster!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 8:07 am

:) - Carpe.

Hi Deek. Yep, that's me. I drive a 98 Pontiac Firebird and a Daihatsu 4x4.
I also have a Polaris Quad bike I use on the beach for fishing and walking my puppy.
Attachments
black_and_white_firebaby_rework_2.jpg
(27.63 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Breaker Morant

Postby Breaker Morant » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:40 am

I've owned 3 BMWs so far and agree that they are a nicely engineered car that want to be driven by someone that knows how to drive.

I'm about to plunge into the car market but what worries me in Singapore is the amount of broken down BMWs I see and the fact many of the used car ads state new engines, gearboxes and other bits and pieces in 5yo BMWs. What is it about BMWs in Singapore that make them breakdown and/or require major overhauls so early in their life ?