Singapore Expats Forum

Catcher in the rye

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 8:11 pm

Simulation and Simulacra by Jean Baudrillard.

Think of it as an "adult" version of Catcher in the Rye.
some signatures are more equal than others

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:14 pm

Oh, it's a title.
Ok Banana, I'm with you now.
Will keep an eye open for it and let you know.
:)
Thanks.

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:45 pm

The Catcher in the Rye was the most important book I ever read. To be honest, I don't remember much and it strains me sometimes to remember the name of the main character (Holden Kaufman), but that was the first "real" book I read, and it was the book that got me *addicted* to the idea of an education. After reading the book I started to pick up on references to the book in my dayt to day life and I realized I was ignorant to all of this before. After that I read, probably, some 100 classics.

For a little background, I was a highschool dropout, have ADD, and dyslexia. After 4 years out of highschool I ended up going to University and gettting 2 undergrad degrees, 1 MSc, and I am now doing my PhD.

Moral of the story: I guess the book couldn't have been that bad...

RDL

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 4:28 pm

.That's great YF. Good on you.
I also made a decision some ten years ago to read the "classic’s".
I guess I might have read fifty or sixty, it's hard to say. I think I enjoy Dickens most but hold the greatest literary appreciation for Doskieski (spelling ??) and his innate understanding of character and the human condition. I cant seem to get into Tolstoy, I keep picking up war and peace and putting it aside again. Similarly, I love Plato but can’t get into homer. I love the rush you get when you re read a passage several times and think, wow, that's why this is great. Again, with the exception of the single passage pertaining to the museum I already mentioned, I did not get much of that out of Catcher in the Rye. I also left school very young and while I have not been back, I have tried throughout my life not to become completely ignorant.
:)

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 5:55 pm

Shilo and YF, when you are ready for a break from the "big" books try David Sidaris. He has several out but i think "Naked" was the best followed by "Me talk funny someday." THe reason i mention him is that he took a long time to make it through school. Anyway - he is possibly the funniest writer that i have ever read.

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 6:10 pm

lol @ "big books".
I space mine out with Wilbur Smith.
Will keep an eye open for that Author.

Return to “General Discussions”