Singapore Expats Forum

$80k/year salary as editor ok?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

JaneDoe

$80k/year salary as editor ok?

Postby JaneDoe » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 1:13 am

Hi all,

A U.S. trade mag has offered me a job for S$80k/year, all in (i.e. no housing or transportation allowance, etc.) to be based in Singapore. I was told that they have flexi work hours (some editors work only 4 hours a day, as long as the job is done, etc.) I am in my late 20s and has about 5 years experience in the field. This is a bit more than what I make right now, so I am thinking of accepting the job. That price was already negotiated, btw. The first offer was S$73k. Anyway, in terms of lifestyle, I am not extravagant. I love going to restaurants and movies, and I am an occasional drinker. I know I could live well on $80k, but my question is, do you think I'll manage to save a bit with that kind of salary?

Thank you in advance,
Jane

Merlion

Queen Jane

Postby Merlion » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 4:44 am

You will live like a Queen on 80K.

Saving might be a little tuff, but the experience is for a lifetime.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:38 am

If you share an apartment, you'll be okay. You'll have to use public transport and a beer will set you back anything from $5-12. :???:

If sharing a place and using the bus are okay, then Singapore will be too. BTW, the public transport system is excellent and taxis and are everywhere and very cheap. Plenty of people live without cars (myself included and I have two little kids), and can't say I've missed having one. Much. Okay, grocery shopping sucks - but for a single it'll be fine.

What I mean to say is that if you want to have a penthouse apartment, a car and a maid, then things will not be good - otherwise, come on over!

Rough costs:

rent: 1200 (this is a share in a good condo)
food: 400
Transport: 100
Tax: ~300

You'll be fine.

rv224

Postby rv224 » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 4:21 pm

I disagree with the previous poster. 80K works out to be about 6600 a month. You can get your own apartment for 1200 - 2000. No need to share. For a single person, 80K is nice to live on!

JaneDoe

Postby JaneDoe » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:03 pm

Thank you all so much for your responses. It's nice to know that the company saw value in me to offer me decent salary.

I don't think I'll miss driving, because even in Canada I don't use my car much these days -- gas prices are just ridiculously expensive!

Anyway, looking forward to moving in Singapore soon!

BTW, the company will also pay for the relocation costs, hotel accomodation for the first month, as well as the real estate agent's fee.

If there are other things that comes to mind, please post.

Jane

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:31 pm

By the sounds of it you've got yourself a fairly good deal. You might want to ask your company about medical insurance and try and get it included in package.

I think your biggest task is finding somewhere to live as your 1st month in Singapore will pass very quickly. Probably best getting in touch with the guys from here before you arrive to get the ball rolling.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapor ... act-us.htm

Have fun :)