Singapore Expats Forum

Healthying

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Healthying

Postby Kimi » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:54 pm

I know it's not the right word, but was inspired by a brand exactly written like the title of this thread in Japan that sort of stucks in my head...
However, the thread is not meant to be funny actually.

Heard about my mum and brother have not been in their best condition recently and they didn't tell me before not to make me worry apparently.
My elder brother had been having bloody nose for a few days and recently it got better.
My mum on the other hand, had high blood pressure even though used to have low one rather, a clogged blood vessel to her heart, and a weakening knee. She's using sort of a cane now even though is still 65.

They have been going to see a doctor it seems. But I still wonder maybe a healthier lifestyle and/or diet would help.
For example I heard that bloody nose can be caused cause the body is being "heaty" (sp?) or have been eating "heaty" stuff.
Anybody know maybe a medical-related website that gives tips on diet for certain condition etc. perhaps?

And also for those who have been in Singapore for a long time... would you consider here for a place to get the knee operation just in case my mum needs one?
Or even for her heart... *knocks wood twice*
Or should I consider another place?
Should I get an insurance (no, not life insurance...) for her, even though it does seem too late already as she doesn't have one yet apparently...

This is scary... the thought of the possibility of losing my mum soon *knock knock*
She is the only parent I have since I was little and actually it's because of her I moved here.
What scares me more is that I might fall into depression if anything happens and wouldn't be able to snap out of it...
Know this is probably just a temporary thing, but I'm worried about the long run as well...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:06 am

Try this link Kimi....type in your key word in the space provided, good info. Free.
http://web.uk.ask.com/web?q=health+prob ... qsrc=0&o=0
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:47 am

Kimi,
Pull your socks up and spend happy times with your mom while you take good care of her. We all have limited time in this world. We need to accept that and we need to make the most of it.

Blaze
ps. I have sent you a pm.

luvtea

Postby luvtea » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 1:06 pm

Hi Kimi,

Stay strong for your family. A friend flew his gran into Singapore for a surgery. They feel singapore doctors are quite reliable and fortunately she recovered.

A healthier diet/lifestyle would certainly benefit anyone..you are what you eat. Having a second doctor's opinion is always good. Im not very keen on knee surgeries but all depends if your mom needs it badly.

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 2:55 pm

hey kimi,

my mom has a weak knee as well - this is partly due to her weight that her legs can't cope with it. She has lost quite a lot of weight and her knee is better

I got an auntie n uncle who did knee surgery here - both had knee cap replacement. Let me know if you need to know more, I can check for you.
Another auntie of mine is working in the hospital, we tend to consult her if we need names of reliable doctor or anything that has got to do with health.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to message me - I'll try to get some information from her.

take care,

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 5:49 pm

Kimi, the best things for HB pressure are....

Lose Weight
Stop Smoking
Exercise
No Salt
Less Stress

And get the proper hypertension drugs from the doc. (This last one the most important, as BP patients must take medication for the duration of their lifetime to stop the damage the high pressure does on their blood vessels....but don't worry, a very large percentage of all older folk, over 40 ish, take this medication.)

Yes, it sounds a lot, but those are the bottom lines. With those under control BP patients have almost the same life expectancy as normal folk.....if their problem is diagnosed promptly.

But don't forget to treat yourself too. You should not be alone with this worry so go to the doctors yourself, you could be clinically depressed, or just need to be told the true facts to put your mind at rest.

Is there no one else in your family? No aunties, uncles? What about your clergyman, if you have one? Don't be afraid to lean on people, they will be only too pleased to help in the majority of cases. And don't forget us here, and chin up now.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:05 pm

Going with the Japanese theme, maybe your brother's been perving on hot chicks?
some signatures are more equal than others

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:23 pm

banana-rama wrote:Going with the Japanese theme, maybe your brother's been perving on hot chicks?

You call them "hot"?! :roll:
You had my respect on something before, now you lost it! :P

Bubbles wrote:Kimi, the best things for HB pressure are....
Lose Weight
Stop Smoking
Exercise
No Salt
Less Stress

Really cheers everybody for the kind words, luvtea, Bubbles, etc.
Blaze, cheers for the encouraging pm. Will write a reply tomorrow.
babykasim, I reckon I would fancy the list of recommended doctors esp. surgeons on clogged aorta/blood vessel and knee cap just in case.

About what Bubbs wrote above, me mum is rather chubby, but not that alarming overweight/obese and she doesn't smoke.
She doesn't go to a particular course/class like aerobics or the like but I reckon she walks heaps when she goes to places, doesn't really fancy salt in an alarming degree and stress is something I don't know about yet...
Then again, being away for some years, I must admit probably her lifestyle has changed that I don't know about yet...

And get the proper hypertension drugs from the doc. (This last one the most important, as BP patients must take medication for the duration of their lifetime to stop the damage the high pressure does on their blood vessels....but don't worry, a very large percentage of all older folk, over 40 ish, take this medication.)

Yes, it sounds a lot, but those are the bottom lines. With those under control BP patients have almost the same life expectancy as normal folk.....if their problem is diagnosed promptly.

This is something I didn't think of that one can get an improper hypertension drugs. Cheers Bubbs!

But don't forget to treat yourself too. You should not be alone with this worry so go to the doctors yourself, you could be clinically depressed, or just need to be told the true facts to put your mind at rest.

Is there no one else in your family? No aunties, uncles? What about your clergyman, if you have one? Don't be afraid to lean on people, they will be only too pleased to help in the majority of cases. And don't forget us here, and chin up now.

Funny you mentioned about clergyman... If you still remember about the thread I started inspired by a book of the same title, "Disappointment to God". It is actually what I've been feeling and so I stopped going to church nor pray for some time, years even.
But I reckon as much as I'm ashamed to do so, not because what I was going to do but more of what inspired me to do it, that is to make a peace with Him or whoever is supposed to be the deity being...

However, no worries, believe it or not, for people who have met me probably can tell, I do have rather bubbly personality most of the time.
And as BH10Y said, happiness is a choice, so I should turn that switch on as the other way around is not helping anything.
The practical thing I can do though, is to bring my mum here as soon as I come back from my trip.

Another practical thing to do, I'm looking for a medical site and can swear when I ran into it a few years ago, it has "MD" (of course!) as part of its name, only I can't remember the rest! :(
Cheers again.

Return to “General Discussions”