Singapore Expats Forum

Nearest surfing spots? Deasaru...Bintan...

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
josiewales

Nearest surfing spots? Deasaru...Bintan...

Postby josiewales » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 9:57 am

Hi just wondering if anyone goes surfing regularly to either BinTan island or Desaru in Malaysia. Is it worth going there or is the swell any way good in either place. Also is it possible to rent a board in either place?
If anyone is interested in heading surfing I am thinking about heading out one of the wknds I hear the Monsoon is the best time to go.
Take it easy,
Joey

plaxibo26

Postby plaxibo26 » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:08 am

I am heading to Bintan when the weather conditions become favorable for surfing. I have never been before so I am not sure what to expect.

I have been told you are able to hire a surfboard when you are there but I am not sure of the quality. I am trying to get by board from Aust, but it seems to be too much of a expensive option.

I will be going with a colleague from work who has been many times. If you have any questions I can pass it onto him.

josiewales

Postby josiewales » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:44 am

Thanks. If you hear when the swell picks up or know of any web cam for BinTan it would be great TO KNOW.
Take it easy,

Joey

Dunk
Regular
Regular

Surfing w/e

Postby Dunk » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:36 am

Are they shore or reef breaks in Bintan? If you're going I'd love to join you for a w/e in the waves.

josiewales

Bintan..

Postby josiewales » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 2:44 pm

Hey Dunk....I think its about 3 ft shore swell from what Ive read.
If the wakeboarding goes ahead on Sunday we could talk about arranging something
Take it easy,

Joey

zsar

Postby zsar » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 4:23 pm

Best to try in Bintan island...been there many time.Best time to surf moonson Late Nov ~ Jan. :cool: Check out www.manamana.com
Cheap accomodation but basic...excellent watersport centre..Good equipment long board, boogie board etc
i guess now they are hot about Kite surfing

Sat night beach party...drink away..

let me know if you guys need help.

:)