east or west of Singapore

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Carpe Diem » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:30 am

[-X

Not 800...


1000!

:wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:22 am

You aim high, wine man - whose exhaulted company will :-k you be in at 1000?
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Carpe Diem » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:30 am

Vaucluse wrote:You aim high, wine man - whose exhaulted company will :-k you be in at 1000?
I am sure you will reach that figure before I do, because I will be travelling again soon... No more posting, and even the possibility to have posts deleted...

See you there.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

tobester
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 3:24 am

Post by tobester » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 2:26 am

Thanks CA and Vaucluse heres to breaking 800!!!

My package includes International Schooling so I will be looking for one, any suggestions on where to place my 3 and a bit year old? particularly good IT's or bad ones?

thanks

Tobester

User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Carpe Diem » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 8:49 am

It depends a lot if you want your kid to follow the same programm than "at home". In that case depending on the country where you come from, there are different schools.

But at the age of 3, it's still pre-school - in that case Montessori schools have a rather good reputation here.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

User avatar
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005 8:20 pm

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 8:50 am

tobester wrote:Thanks CA and Vaucluse heres to breaking 800!!!

My package includes International Schooling so I will be looking for one, any suggestions on where to place my 3 and a bit year old? particularly good IT's or bad ones?

thanks

Tobester
Tobester, since you are not forking over for this yourself, you are absolutely spoiled for choice. First question: small school with 'cosy' atmosphere or large school with brilliant facilities? Academic or play focus? Then you start getting into languages, curricula etc etc. At three years old, even if stay for 3-5 years (the average life of an expat here) then it won't be too hard slotting back into school at home again. If your child was starting high school, it would be a very different story of course.

tobester
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 3:24 am

Post by tobester » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:52 pm

I guess I am very lucky as my fees would be covered by my employer,

my little boy would be just approaching 4 1/2 and I am keen that he gets a good english influence. Do the smaller cosy schools have a good range of facilities? at my boys age I am keen to ensure he enjoys it whilst getting a good base curriculum.

what is the policy on bullying?

many thanks

Tobester :wink:

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 1:06 pm

Montessori then, I would suggest.

Bullying at that age? Havn't heard of it, but I believe it's the parents and teachers that must take the initiative.

(CD, you old dog . . . runaway leader)
......................................................

'nuff said Image

tobester
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 3:24 am

Post by tobester » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 2:13 am

Vaucluse wrote:Montessori then, I would suggest.

Bullying at that age? Havn't heard of it, but I believe it's the parents and teachers that must take the initiative.

(CD, you old dog . . . runaway leader)
Thanks Vaucluse

I tried to do a bit of research on Montessori, what I found indicated more a way of teaching is this accurate?

ta

tobester

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 8:56 am

Yes it is, it's a philosphy of how children learn best and how to make them interact with other kids. Don't think indoctrination, think learning communication skills - they are still very little kids after all.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005 8:20 pm

Post by k1w1 » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:41 am

Montessori is basically the idea that kids will learn better through play and experience than through being talked at. Fairly sound idea!

Word of warning: this has become something of a buzz-word or a trend, if you like. There is no compulsory membership with the Montessori Association, so there are heaps of schools who say they are montessori, but have about half an hour of montessori-based work a day, rather than a centre-wide philosophy. At this age, play is the most important thing.

As for bullying, you will need to talk with the school principal. I am very wary of schools that say it doesn't exist. Ask them what they do when it happens. Are you getting at a multi-racial thing? Do you mean will your child be bullied because of race? If this is the case, then you will probably want to look for something that is fairly international in focus. My kids attend a local school that is staffed by Indian, Chinese and Malay teachers. The kids that attend are from heaps of different Asian backgrounds and there are tonnes of Eurasian kids too. Other parents prefer there to be more European kids, so I guess if this was a concern (and it is for some people), then you can ask where the students come from.

tobester
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 3:24 am

Post by tobester » Fri, 11 Nov 2005 6:48 pm

k1w1 wrote:Montessori is basically the idea that kids will learn better through play and experience than through being talked at. Fairly sound idea!

Word of warning: this has become something of a buzz-word or a trend, if you like. There is no compulsory membership with the Montessori Association, so there are heaps of schools who say they are montessori, but have about half an hour of montessori-based work a day, rather than a centre-wide philosophy. At this age, play is the most important thing.

As for bullying, you will need to talk with the school principal. I am very wary of schools that say it doesn't exist. Ask them what they do when it happens. Are you getting at a multi-racial thing? Do you mean will your child be bullied because of race? If this is the case, then you will probably want to look for something that is fairly international in focus. My kids attend a local school that is staffed by Indian, Chinese and Malay teachers. The kids that attend are from heaps of different Asian backgrounds and there are tonnes of Eurasian kids too. Other parents prefer there to be more European kids, so I guess if this was a concern (and it is for some people), then you can ask where the students come from.
Thank you K1w1, I value your input from your experience you do not see Montessori as a fad do you? I want my son to be happy and enjoy himself above all. if we could not get into such a school (what are the chances) are the other schools acceptable in general?

ta


Tobester

User avatar
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005 8:20 pm

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 7:48 pm

Montessori is definately not a fad, but it has been somewhat skewed by places saying that they are teaching in a Montessori method, but are only doing this for a part of the day. The concept has been around for ages (see this link for more details). This should give you more of an insight.

http://www.answers.com/montessori&r=67

There are heaps of childcare centres here, it will largely depend on where you live and what your priorites are.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests