Moving company from UK

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
rusquita

Moving company from UK

Post by rusquita » Sat, 08 Oct 2005 5:59 am

Could someone please recommend (based on personal experience) a good shipping company for moving from the UK? We just have some boxes of personal effects--no furniture. I'm especially interested in how long it took for the shipment to arrive (and how it compared to the estimated time).

Thanks in advance!

parabec

Hi

Post by parabec » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 1:11 pm

Hi

We have just moved over from the UK. We used excess international. They were very good and efficient. Are goods were shipped on the 6th ofOctober, and we havejuts had a call from them to say it will arrive Nov6th....so i'd say pretty good turn around.

PM if you would like their details.

Kind regards
Rebecca

rusquita

Post by rusquita » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:04 am

For anyone who wants to use this info in the future: we did use Excess Baggage. I would definitely NOT recommend them or their Singapore agent, Interport. Even though we paid for door-to-door service, which was supposed to include filling out customs forms and clearing customs, we had to pay an additional S$84 administrative fee to Interport (not a customs tax) because we had 1 bottle of wine in our shipment.

Excess Baggage refused to take care of this charge, even though all of the paperwork suggests that it shouldn't have been our responsibility. It also makes you question the whole customer service ethic of any company willing to leave a customer aggravated (in the already stressful situation of moving) for a disputed £30.

When we discussed how we could get out of this fee with Interport (e.g. by just giving up the wine), they suggested that we lie on our customs forms. Again, this is not the professional response I would expect.

Hopefully, someone else will find this useful and will be able to avoid the additional stress it's caused me!