Singapore Expats Forum

My experience while looking for a job in Singapore!!!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

askmeagain

My experience while looking for a job in Singapore!!!

Postby askmeagain » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 3:51 pm

I am staying Malaysia for past 2 years with multiple entry visas. I have entry to Singapore. Recently I visited Singapore in search of job. Here is my experience, please guide me.............

By the way, let me first tell you about my qualifications. I am electronic engineer, with MBA-ITM (MBA in Information Technology). I have also done MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), beside that I have done O-Level and A-Level from Cambridge University, UK.

Apart from that I have more than 5 years of experience but mixed type, from teaching at university level to Network engineer. I have designed and developed some website too using PHP and Mysql, HTML, JavaScript, Flash, Photoshop etc.

I tried lot in Singapore to find a job as my own, but no body is willing to take me. I found lots of restriction for jobs being as foreigner. All they are saying they need Singaporean or PR holder. I have Master Degree, but most of the jobs need Bachelor or O/A-Level but still, I cannot get one.

I visited some agents too. Some of them they are saying, we work for Singaporean only. I applied many jobs via Internet, but no any feed back, just usual sentences like "we have record your CV in our database for future, inform you in future…."

I heard that Singapore is just and least corrupt country, without any discrimination, but I have stated to feel that........Is it because I am from third world country?

Can some one advice me..... How to tackle a job problem????

ipodnano

Postby ipodnano » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 4:05 pm

it is just a matter of timing and luck... i came to singapore 3 years ago as a tourist and sent more than 50 resumes (resourcing ads from newspapers, jobsdb, jobstreet) and managed to get only 2 interviews. I was lucky that out of this 2 interviews, I got hired.

that time, i don't have a masters degree, any microsoft certificate and has very minimal work experience... i was also from a "not so rich" country in asia...

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 1:14 am

there's no carved in stone to tackle a "job problem".

you've just got to try again and again and not to give up. and it is NOT because you're from a 3rd-world country like malaysia.

i'm a malaysian.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

KY

Postby KY » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 1:57 pm

Hi there,

PM if you can, do know of a job opening, just not too sure if its what you would be interested in. Could put you across to the person concerned and maybe you guys could chat about the job profile.

KY

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: My experience while looking for a job in Singapore!!!

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 9:37 pm

askmeagain wrote:I am staying Malaysia for past 2 years with multiple entry visas. I have entry to Singapore. Recently I visited Singapore in search of job. Here is my experience, please guide me.............

By the way, let me first tell you about my qualifications. I am electronic engineer, with MBA-ITM (MBA in Information Technology). I have also done MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), beside that I have done O-Level and A-Level from Cambridge University, UK.

Apart from that I have more than 5 years of experience but mixed type, from teaching at university level to Network engineer. I have designed and developed some website too using PHP and Mysql, HTML, JavaScript, Flash, Photoshop etc.

I tried lot in Singapore to find a job as my own, but no body is willing to take me. I found lots of restriction for jobs being as foreigner. All they are saying they need Singaporean or PR holder. I have Master Degree, but most of the jobs need Bachelor or O/A-Level but still, I cannot get one.

I visited some agents too. Some of them they are saying, we work for Singaporean only. I applied many jobs via Internet, but no any feed back, just usual sentences like "we have record your CV in our database for future, inform you in future…."

I heard that Singapore is just and least corrupt country, without any discrimination, but I have stated to feel that........Is it because I am from third world country?

Can some one advice me..... How to tackle a job problem????

Like any country in the world, Singapore is taking care of its own people first, which I think is the right thing to do.

Most jobs do require to be PR or Singapore citizen here, because of that valid reason.

If there are enough Singaporeans or PR's who do have your qualifications for the vacant job, the choice of the employer will naturally be to hire one of them, not you. It is really no rocket science, is it?

Do you find that strange? Do you call that racist?

Me think you need to work on your attitude and do a reality check.

Eric

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 1:04 am

i don't think he's even calling this racist; he's calling it discrimation against a poor country, which is strange...;)

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:20 am

In my experience here, trying to find a job in the traditional sense (newspaper, website, etc) does NOT work. The best way of finding a job, and many, many people will agree, is to NETWORK!! My last two jobs I had was all because I was networking. Attending events, talking to people everyday, getting yourself in front of the right people, which also includes walking into a company that you want to work for and just applying. It works more times than not.

But it's kind of hard to do effective networking when you're fresh off the plane and new in a foreign enviroment. Shouldn't stop you though from trying. Have to be agressive and really try. Not just send a few CV's here and there. Good luck.

maruma

Postby maruma » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 5:00 pm

i agree with ipodnano...for us foreigners who wish to get employed here in Singapore must not only be on qualifications but also luck and timing.

i came here with a little over than 2 years of work experience from third world country. before going here i have submitted hundreds of resume and another hundred when i arrived here.

and you know what? only 1 company got interested and interviewed me but this company is where i am working right now...luckily, i was in the right place and in the right time.

just try and try my friend, if you really want to pursue something. with your qualification, you have a good chance.
:wink:
Hot heads and cold hearts never solved anything.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:22 pm

Imho, bombarding potential recruiters with hundreds of resumes (and a few more hundred afterward, which will make it over 1,000?!) is not wise. I sure hope you bothered to craft a personal winning cover letter for each job.