Singapore Expats Forum

Happiness

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF
Regular
Regular

Happiness

Postby YF » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:38 pm

This is kind of in response to Bubble's post a few days back. Nice article in New Scientist on happiness.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... _1,00.html

Note, socializing has a major impact on happiness. Maybe you shouldn't feel so bad spending time on these forums. It is, afterall a form of socialization.

My personal take on happiness, is that, first and formost, one needs a "sense of purpose". A sense o purpose dictates what we *ought* to do. Just as the game of chess dictates how a game ought to be played, so does a sense of purpose direct us in our lives and tell us what we *ought* to do. Happiness, for me at least, is discharging my duties related to my purpose or function in life. Ask yourself if you have a sense of purpose, a sense of meaning to your life. If you do, then you know what you ought to do, if you don't: search for it.

Best,
RDL

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:04 am

hey, Rob is back finally! good to hear from you.

agree with you on the sense of purpose, and breaking that down into immediate goals. i find that i'm happiest when achieving goals that i've set myself, and knowing what those goals are translating into in the big picture.

relationships are a big part of happiness too. just having a few, or even one, good solid loving relationship can make the world seem right and give a deep sense of contentment.

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:08 am

Happiness is... a fresh, warm, coffee bun. :-)

(My favourite: Pappa Rotti at People's Park Centre, facing the main road, and also at the Jurong East Interchange food-court; always warm, crisp outer, plenty of bad-for-you butter inside... mmmmm)

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com