Singapore Expats Forum

Attention all ladies out there... who freq taking cab

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
varun
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby varun » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 9:59 am

riversandlakes wrote:put your dead nokia battery in the freezer for 12 hours, then put it in the sun for 8 and put it back in the freezer for 8 and voila! a new battery? :D


You mean... you mean... it doesn't work??? :mad:

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:16 am

varun wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:put your dead nokia battery in the freezer for 12 hours, then put it in the sun for 8 and put it back in the freezer for 8 and voila! a new battery? :D
You mean... you mean... it doesn't work??? :mad:

of course it does, you silly boy. you just forgot to put the battery in an airtight ziploc bag that was previously used to store dead fish. it's the fish oils that do the trick. try it! :wink:

User avatar
Shabu-Shabu
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue, 16 Aug 2005
Location: Kuching

Postby Shabu-Shabu » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:40 am

Well I'm not just quoting from annoynomous sources.
I know it isn't -THAT- dangerous to the point of the literal sense, but one has to be careful in Malaysia, because I've already been reading numerous reports of rapes, and so on, and it's not only on the locals.

I'm really careful when I go out, because one of our classmates, the Danish girl already has her stuff stolen, and has had been through a horrific ordeal with attempted rape on herself and her friend.
Furthermore, I think it's because caucasians stand out from the locals like a sore thumb and locals think, "oh, they must be rich."...currency wise, yes, I suppose so.
It doesn't happen so much to the International Asian students but the causcasians feel the brunt of it.

And yes, the university did advise all the international students to take hostels or uni-approved homestays for "safety", and advised all of us to consult the student advisory or admin when it comes to stuff we're not sure of - namely deposits (I've had deposits retained by several locals from car-rental, to the house I'm living in, even when the contract clearly states that the deposit is refundable..and it's not just me. My housemate and several other students seem to suffer the same "deposit-eating" locals. Maybe coincidence?), car stuff, so on and so forth.

It's basically come to a point where I consult my law lecturer when it comes to contracts.
While it isn't so bad for myself and the Asians, the sorry lot are the caucasians who's student status are taken advantage of. They can't speak mandarin nor malay, and some locals really, really can't speak english or deliberately do not speak english.
I've had some malaysians who've returned from overseas studies working in the uni telling me about the "brown envelope" (corruption) and how it's so widespread here it can be extremely dangerous going into a police station (for example) with someone you don't know well/has a bone to pick with you - because there could've been some underhand agreement pior to bringing you there.

It's a reality check for me, the real world, because as a Singaporean I've lived an extremely cushy life. Singapore is too small to experience what a large country experiences, and how life runs pretty much differently there.
Meowing out,
- Shabu-Shabu -

denise2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 15 Mar 2005

Postby denise2 » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:33 am

Can't help wondering how the woman in the taxi almost passed out with the incense, yet the taxi driver had no problems driving, and presumably still had the strength to drive to a remote spot and overpower his victim?
Sounds like a hoax to me.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 Oct 2005 3:21 am

Well I have only got one thing to say! Some of you will learn the hard way.

Taiwanese business woman was raped and mudered in a 5 star hotel in KL

I have also heard of rapes in Hotels here in Singapore.

In China, I was actually taken for a ride by a taxi, where he picked up other passenger, and continued off the highway, onto a dirt track, after he refused to stop several times, I had to reach through the window, because of the cage in the back.

With 5000 USD in my pocket I wasn't going to take any chance, he was very close to terminating his life, and I never paid him.

So for the benefit of what is real, why don't you toss a coin and gamble with your life, there will be no sympathy at this end.

Caution no matter where in the world you live may prevent something rom happening. There are many sick individual preditors out there, and believe me, they are planning to pounce, becuase its in their blood.

User avatar
superedge
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2005
Contact:

Postby superedge » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 2:39 am

ksl wrote:Well I have only got one thing to say! Some of you will learn the hard way.


Well, that sounds too hard. I hope NOONE of us have to learn such a thing in such a way.

and I know because I come from a country where there are lots of areas where police means nothing :(

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 9:24 am

superedge wrote:
ksl wrote:Well I have only got one thing to say! Some of you will learn the hard way.


Well, that sounds too hard. I hope NOONE of us have to learn such a thing in such a way.

and I know because I come from a country where there are lots of areas where police means nothing :(


sad but true Edge...

Brazil is probably the country where you have to not only be careful of criminals and idiots on the streets, but also stay away from the biggest danger of all: the police squad themselves.

However much I love Brazil, I would seriously have problems living there with all the agressions and danger on the streets. It is absurd down there... Rio de Janeiro, the name may sound magic, but it is horror, really terrifying horror.

Eric

Wham
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Wham » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 1:32 pm

This thread really kind of disturbs me in that if you listen too much to the paranoia all around, pretty soon you go nowhere and just stay at home. Heck - even here in sing we have Dengue and soon the dreaded BIRD FLU! OH MY GOD - STAY INDOORS!!! Next thing you know nobody will even go to Bali - all too much for me.

Sooooo, i thought i would try to end things on a lighter note. After i met my wife in NY many years ago - and we went for a drive in her car one day , she would lock the doors when she was IN the car, and leave the doors unlocked when it was parked in the driveway. I was obviously confused by this and asked what the HECK ARE YOU THINKING! and she explained that where she grew up in the Philippines outside of Manila, you did not worry about your car getting stolen, you worried about it BEING HI-JACKED while you were IN IT - whereas i would worry about the car being stolen so locked the doors when it was parked and never even considered the possibility of it being stolen with me in it. We now laugh about it.

Anyway - this whole thread is based on a stupid urban legend. I know bad things happen, but you gotta just be careful and be aware - and if you are a young lady travelling alone - Maybe Carry some MACE! Personally, my worry is for the young ladies that grow up too sheltered. The ones that grow up travelling in dodgy areas LEARN FAST what to do and what not to do.

User avatar
superedge
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2005
Contact:

Postby superedge » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 1:50 pm

Wham wrote:This thread really kind of disturbs me in that if you listen too much to the paranoia all around, pretty soon you go nowhere and just stay at home. Heck - even here in sing we have Dengue and soon the dreaded BIRD FLU! OH MY GOD - STAY INDOORS!!! Next thing you know nobody will even go to Bali - all too much for me.

Sooooo, i thought i would try to end things on a lighter note. After i met my wife in NY many years ago - and we went for a drive in her car one day , she would lock the doors when she was IN the car, and leave the doors unlocked when it was parked in the driveway. I was obviously confused by this and asked what the HECK ARE YOU THINKING! and she explained that where she grew up in the Philippines outside of Manila, you did not worry about your car getting stolen, you worried about it BEING HI-JACKED while you were IN IT - whereas i would worry about the car being stolen so locked the doors when it was parked and never even considered the possibility of it being stolen with me in it. We now laugh about it.

Anyway - this whole thread is based on a stupid urban legend. I know bad things happen, but you gotta just be careful and be aware - and if you are a young lady travelling alone - Maybe Carry some MACE! Personally, my worry is for the young ladies that grow up too sheltered. The ones that grow up travelling in dodgy areas LEARN FAST what to do and what not to do.


Hi Wham,
in some ways you are totally correct, but in others I must say I disagree, if you allow me.
For example, have you heard of Atlantica Avenue in Rio de Janeiro? is one of the most beautiful avenues in the world, right in front of Copacabana beach, a worldwide postcard.

2 weeks ago, nobody that lives in that avenue (and it is a BIG avenue) was allowed to enter their homes after 6PM. Reason: Drugdealers closed the whole region for their 'private war'. Everyone who left their jobs at afternoon had to wait until 1AM to finally get home.
And by nobody, I meant even he police could do nothing, because when drugdealers fight, they also have another 'private army' just to make the police busy. In other words, that night there were shots among drugdealers, and drugdealers army against police.

And you know how old are these 'Kings of Rio'? between 14 and 16 years old. They hardly make up to their 20s :(

That's why when I see people complaining about Singapore, I have nothing to say besides : "oh Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are saying."

Wham
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Wham » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 1:56 pm

SE, i cannot disagree with you at all on this. I was referring more to the urban legend about the smoke in the car and the paranoia that it feeds. Drug wars are a separate and OBVIOUSLY REAL THREAT. The dealers should be shot. And by the way, aren't those wars bad for business?

User avatar
superedge
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2005
Contact:

Postby superedge » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 2:09 pm

Wham wrote:SE, i cannot disagree with you at all on this. I was referring more to the urban legend about the smoke in the car and the paranoia that it feeds. Drug wars are a separate and OBVIOUSLY REAL THREAT. The dealers should be shot. And by the way, aren't those wars bad for business?


Yes, it is...but only recently tourists are discovering new destinations such as Fortaleza, Recife and Bahia. During the coming years, they should overcome Rio for they have better life quality.

And another interesting point: in Rio, they notify the population when a 'favela battle' is going to happen :shock: if you hear the machineguns shots at the hills it means:go home and stay there for a few hours.

People complain about Colombia, but they have no idea how Rio can be dangerous.

I am glad to live in a safe place like Singapore!!

User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 2:23 pm

I have been told scary stories by colleagues who were robbed in Brazil (in their hotel room) and then got their money back when they started to involve important people they knew... Another one who leaves there was kidnapped for a few hours, they took his car and everything, were almost planning to kill him but finally he managed to get released with enough change to catch a bus...

No need to say when I was there recently I was a bit concerned!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests