Singapore Expats Forum

Attention all ladies out there... who freq taking cab

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Lynda

Attention all ladies out there... who freq taking cab

Postby Lynda » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 2:46 pm

Tis incident is definately not a hoax COZ the lady is fr my boss's church... she share tis story of hers during the sharing session....

PRECAUTION IS BETTER THAN CURE

Please take caution when you take a taxi, especially the ladies. I
received
a email some months ago about a lady getting into a cab and felt uneasy
and
become faint when she smelt something like incense being burnt. She was
smart enough to order the taxi to stop immediately and after throwing
some
money at the taxi man quickly get out of the taxi.

She later got to know that if she had not stopped the taxi and gotten
out,
she would have fainted and raped by the taxi man (or a gang of
rapists)!

After reading this, I thought maybe this was one of those emails that
you
would read and just forget about it, but I was wrong!

Few weeks ago, a visitor to our Chinese church who stayed in Puchong
got
into a taxi driven by an Indian man. When she sat into the taxi, there
was
a little burner and she could smell incense burning in the taxi.

After awhile, she felt weak and unable to speak or shout. The Indian
taxi
man drove to a lonely road where there was hardly anyone and raped her.

Before she was completely knocked out, she was told by the taxi guy
that
she was his number six victim. She was not only raped but also robbed!

When she was conscious again, she quickly went to see a doctor. The sad
thing is, the doctor knew she was raped but did not advise her what to
do.

The doctor just let her make the decision to make or not to make a
police
report. Since she does not know the rapist name and also the taxi
number
and in great fear after this trauma, she told the doctor that she would
not
dare to report to the police. The doctor said since she dare not make
the
report, he would just have to destroy the medical report!

Because the rapist took her whole bag with her IC in it, he got her
address
and even has the guts to come straight to her house and try to be funny
with her.

Please remember not to get into a taxi that smells funny and if
possible
don't get into a taxi alone, and if you have to do so, give a call or
sms
back to your friends or relatives and let them know the taxi
registration
number and if possible, the name of the taxi man.

AND OPEN THE WINDOW!

Gals... Please take note and Guys... Please forward to your female
frens..

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 2:49 pm

I somehow feel that if you report this to the police, case will be solved within a day or two.

Eric

Shabu-Shabu

Postby Shabu-Shabu » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 3:57 pm

The story mentioned a place called "Puchong".
That's in KL, Malaysia.

It's not unheard of in Malaysia. I'm in Malaysia studying in an Australian Uni and some of the Aussie exchange students (to experience a 'different culture') have told me about how one of the students, a Danish girl and her friend, almost got raped by a man in a disco.
They attacked him in self-defence, and left the place. A few weeks later they came again, and when they were walking towards the car to go home, they found that their windows were smashed up.
Just a week ago, we heard that they've moved out of their rented semi-detached because it was burgled by possibly the same people, and her laptop, bought from Singapore when she came to see the Cirque Du Solei here, was taken too.
They've since moved to a security condo.

Another girl, one of my fiance's classmates, told him that while she was walking home with her friend, a malay guy approached them and started speaking to them in very, extremely broken english.
They could only make out, "I, f--k f--k, you" and he was pointing to his crotch. Needless to say, they beat a hasty exit.

Malaysia is a a dangerous place, especially places out of KL. While they're going on about how Malaysia is a "1st world country" and "truly asia", the only thing I can see that's truly asia about this place is the roads dotted with gaping potholes all over, unless you're driving near an area where a prominant datuk or minister lives - and several times I've gotten food poisoning from places that weren't road side stalls but mediocre to so-so places that didn't look dirty.
All the international students stick closely together, the westerners - Danes, Aussies, and anyone looking remotely caucasian, are advised by the lecturers and admin to stay in Uni hostels because the locals are very village in mentality and think any white must be a promiscuous female in heat and are almost always approached by some local malay looking for a free and exotic shag.
It's disgusting...

Other than that, Malaysia is good to live in for a while because it's cheap....and a normal average joe and jane would be able to afford a car. And of course I'm talking about people who aren't locals, because it's a completely different story altogether.
Meowing out,
- Shabu-Shabu -

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 4:43 pm

Shabu-Shabu wrote:The story mentioned a place called "Puchong".
That's in KL, Malaysia.

It's not unheard of in Malaysia. I'm in Malaysia studying in an Australian Uni and some of the Aussie exchange students (to experience a 'different culture') have told me about how one of the students, a Danish girl and her friend, almost got raped by a man in a disco.
They attacked him in self-defence, and left the place. A few weeks later they came again, and when they were walking towards the car to go home, they found that their windows were smashed up.
Just a week ago, we heard that they've moved out of their rented semi-detached because it was burgled by possibly the same people, and her laptop, bought from Singapore when she came to see the Cirque Du Solei here, was taken too.
They've since moved to a security condo.

Another girl, one of my fiance's classmates, told him that while she was walking home with her friend, a malay guy approached them and started speaking to them in very, extremely broken english.
They could only make out, "I, f--k f--k, you" and he was pointing to his crotch. Needless to say, they beat a hasty exit.

Malaysia is a a dangerous place, especially places out of KL. While they're going on about how Malaysia is a "1st world country" and "truly asia", the only thing I can see that's truly asia about this place is the roads dotted with gaping potholes all over, unless you're driving near an area where a prominant datuk or minister lives - and several times I've gotten food poisoning from places that weren't road side stalls but mediocre to so-so places that didn't look dirty.
All the international students stick closely together, the westerners - Danes, Aussies, and anyone looking remotely caucasian, are advised by the lecturers and admin to stay in Uni hostels because the locals are very village in mentality and think any white must be a promiscuous female in heat and are almost always approached by some local malay looking for a free and exotic shag.
It's disgusting...

Other than that, Malaysia is good to live in for a while because it's cheap....and a normal average joe and jane would be able to afford a car. And of course I'm talking about people who aren't locals, because it's a completely different story altogether.

I certainly wouldn't call Malaysia a '1st world' country, but what does that mean anyway? The expressways there are imho even better than the German autobahn though, ever tried the expressway from KL to Kuantan? You'll be stunned of how modern and well equiped with facilities along the road.

I have several Dutch friends residing in Malaysia, none of them has ever shared your fantastic stories about Malaysia this way though: they mix, don't stick for safety reasons, they have a great time living there, they love the food (man, did I have sumptuous meals at around a thousand places there, only recently I had a food poisoning from eating at Borders restaurant here in Singapore, which makes me think: Is the food in Singapore always so bad?).

I find the handle "Malaysia, truly Asia" quite well chosen actually.

I thought the days of silly stereotyping and generalizing were over on our board here, but Shabu seems to have reinvented it.

Maybe do some more studies Shabu? This time about reality of life in Malaysia?

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 5:54 pm

So far, I've only smelt rice in cabs, always makes me hungry.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 9:34 pm

Or body ordor....or smoke.....never incense, statues, maybe.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 9:53 pm

ok, malaysian from KL here; been there 8 years; working for 7.

Shabu, are you saying KL is safe? :D
and you're obviously not educated enough to make such a general statement; ever heard that generalizations are always dangerous?
"are advised by the lecturers and admin to stay in Uni hostels because the locals are very village in mentality and think any white must be a promiscuous female in heat and are almost always approached by some local malay looking for a free and exotic shag. "
stay in your own little world, if you truly believe this crap :P

we are NOT a 1st world country; where did you hear that from? makes me ROFL :D
"truly asia" line is from the tourism board, and makes no logical sense :D

while it's not gung-ho wild wild place, i think the first post is one of those many chain-mails; haven't you ever received as such, e.g. put your dead nokia battery in the freezer for 12 hours, then put it in the sun for 8 and put it back in the freezer for 8 and voila! a new battery? :D

in KL, don't walk the backstreets even during daylight; drug addicts abound and you know what they will do for the next shot. this is universal, is it not?
second, i think your incense joke is akin to the ancient chinese wu xia films; where the culprit pokes a hole through the paper window and blow this fume into the room, and knocks out the inhabitant :P
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:23 pm

Was in KL last year, went to a fav bar of ours opposite Lot 10, near Jalan Alam...up from Kentucky FC....where all the working girls live...know it? Anyway, Scottish guys owns bar with local wife, nice place........and it was a hot night, as always, and we sat near the door...inside....and the landlord said to me...'Be careful Hen, move away from the door, OR...hide your handbag'....this was because guys on motorcycles with PARANGS jump off their rides, run into bars...or just cut off your bag....or your arm...then get on again and off they go....bag taken and that's that.
I must have looked as if I thought it was a porkie but he said definitely no, it's the truth.
This was in the middle of KL, where I used to live, and walk up that street at night, alone, and feel totally safe.........working girls no prob, just shout out hello, or laugh with them.........the world is getting weirder.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:24 pm

I may mean Jln Alor, can't remember now, the street with all the food stalls. Anyone know the name?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Attention all ladies out there... who freq taking cab

Postby superedge » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:10 pm

Lynda wrote:Tis incident is definately not a hoax because the lady is fr my boss's church... she share tis story of hers during the sharing session....

PRECAUTION IS BETTER THAN CURE

Please take caution when you take a taxi, especially the ladies. I
received
a email some months ago about a lady getting into a cab and felt uneasy
and
become faint when she smelt something like incense being burnt. She was
smart enough to order the taxi to stop immediately and after throwing
some

I even heard that story in Brazil. We sure must be very carefull with our lives, but in this particular case sounds like another urban legend.

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:24 pm

Sounds like an urban legend to me. How come the taxi driver wasn't affected by the "smell"? And why do these things always happen to a friend of a friend? Why on earth would the doctor destroy a medical report because she didn't go to the police - the two are surely not connected. Of course we should always stop a cab and get out immediately if feeling something isn't right. My own friend did have a near miss escaping from a cab driver (if it really was a cab- the police thought it may have been masquerading as one) in the UK when the driver was decidedly dodgy, but this gas thing doesn't really make sense. And emails like this tend to be circulated at regular intervals with just a few details changed.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:18 am

skye wrote:Sounds like an urban legend to me. How come the taxi driver wasn't affected by the "smell"? And why do these things always happen to a friend of a friend? Why on earth would the doctor destroy a medical report because she didn't go to the police - the two are surely not connected. Of course we should always stop a cab and get out immediately if feeling something isn't right. My own friend did have a near miss escaping from a cab driver (if it really was a cab- the police thought it may have been masquerading as one) in the UK when the driver was decidedly dodgy, but this gas thing doesn't really make sense. And emails like this tend to be circulated at regular intervals with just a few details changed.

I actually saw this email about 4 years ago when it first started making the rounds about the same time the peeping tom one was circulating about the dressing rooms in one of the shops in Raffles City. It's definately an Urban Legend but at the same time if I were a female late at night I would seriously think about getting into some of the cabs I've seen here.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 3:47 am

It's wise to be careful everywhere you go; not only in KL, eh? ;)

ok, it is certainly *relatively* safer to take a night cab here in singapore than in KL...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.

But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 8:34 am

i usually feel safe taking cabs in singapore. but it may help to take pre-emptive measures, which i sometimes do if my 6th sense tingles, or when i'm overseas - the moment you've told the cabbie where to go, call a friend (or imaginary one) on the phone, give her the taxi no, and say "i should be there in (eg) 15 min" and do all this very loudly.

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 9:57 am

Shabu-Shabu wrote:and a normal average joe and jane would be able to afford a car

Somehow the words "Proton" and "car" don't equate. ;-) The only worse mechanised vehicular transport I can think of is the Premier Padmini (incorrectly called a "Fiat") in India. That's unbelievably awful - the Proton is a close second (though, admittedly, getting better, at least in design).

Which, of course, has nothing to do with the subject at hand ("Beware of Indian taxi drivers with incense in KL").

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com