Singapore Expats Forum

Planning a Road Trip to Malaysia

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
frontier

Planning a Road Trip to Malaysia

Postby frontier » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:39 pm

Hey Guys,

Me and two other friends of mine are planning a road trip to malaysia during Deepawali/hari raya vacation starting from perhaps 30-31 October till 5th Sep.

I am looking for a fourth person to join us. Anyone guy or a gal is welcome. The only criteria is that the person should have an international licence to drive the car around Malaysia. We will be renting the car from JB and will travel across KL, Tioman island or other places. Its gonna be a total fun trip. So if u arnt easy going. dont smoke or drink, u mite find it little difficult. However if u r a cool person, trust me, u gonna have loads of fun. We are bunch of professionals looking to take sometime off our stressful work environment. Unfortunately none of us have an international licence, so looking for such a person.

anyone is welcome...

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:51 pm

WOW, from 30-31 October till 5th Sep... That's a long trip! :wink:

More seriously, SG licence is enough. You don't need international licence.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

frontier

Postby frontier » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 5:05 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:WOW, from 30-31 October till 5th Sep... That's a long trip! :wink:

More seriously, SG licence is enough. You don't need international licence.

Yeah I know dude. unfortunately other two dont know how to drive and I am an expat. I didnt convert my national licence into an international one...due to laziness.. :D

dcmiii

Postby dcmiii » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 5:07 pm

Sounds fun mate!!!

No need for international drivers license when you rent a car in Malaysia. A drivers license from your country of origin will do. If you are going to rent in JB, try Mayflower they are the cheapest rate around.

Have a good time. :)

frontier

Postby frontier » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 5:17 pm

dcmiii wrote:Sounds fun mate!!!

No need for international drivers license when you rent a car in Malaysia. A drivers license from your country of origin will do. If you are going to rent in JB, try Mayflower they are the cheapest rate around.

Have a good time. :)

Thanks dude. will surely have fun. I am not sure if they have changed the rule but I went 2 years back and I was asked for an international licence at the time of renting the car and ofcourse the highway police check ensured that I was right about Indian licence not being valid to drive a car in malaysia.

But thanks anyway dude..

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 5:43 pm

End of october might already be too late for Tioman (monsoon starts october, ferries will cease operating).

And be aware you will be on the roads with around 10 milion others during the Hari raya in Malaysia. Not something to look out for, especially when considering last years accident rate during the hari raya week...

I bet Air Asia has good and much safer alternatives.

Whatever license you have, for the Malaysian traffic police / highway patrol it makes no difference, they are only interested in their bribes when fining you for speeding in a Singapore licensed car. (I showed them my Singapore IC last time, they didnot even notice it was not a driving license).
But since you will be driving a car with Malaysian number plate, you won't be suffering so much when keeping to the speed limit.

Check the car thoroughly, they are often in deplorable condition.

Enjoy the holidays.

Eric

muakz

Postby muakz » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 9:37 am

Frontier,

PM me. I might be interested although I cant leave until 31st.

I've got a Malaysian license and used to drive the North South highway frequently to visit my parents in Northern Malaysia. Those were the days when I still owned a car. :(

Pls tell me more about yourself and your two friends as well. What about expenses on car rental, toll charges, petrol etc?