Singapore Expats Forum

Cultural taboos, traits etc.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 3:39 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Don't raise your right arm and straighten it when greeting Germans, it might make them feel uncomfortable... :mrgreen:

LOL!!

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:And never say you didnot know it ("Ich habe es nich gewusst...") to them either.

On a serious note, when in a business meeting with Germans, they tend to be most of the time quite formal and very rational. Hierarchy and titles mean a lot to them (If you see "Dr." in front of a name on a business name, this means the person will want to be seen as an important and critical person to deal with). You convince them by giving rational argumentation. Don't emphasize so much on the 'relation' with the person, it is about making sense to them.

Yup, go for facts and logic. The more asian aspect of "warming up" to them doesn't work. They see it as being a suck-up and lacking seriousness about the deal.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:12 pm

Apparently spot moustaches are not trendy anymore either?
some signatures are more equal than others

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rose_YG » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:05 am

earthfriendly wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:On a serious note, when in a business meeting with Germans, they tend to be most of the time quite formal and very rational. Hierarchy and titles mean a lot to them (If you see "Dr." in front of a name on a business name, this means the person will want to be seen as an important and critical person to deal with). You convince them by giving rational argumentation. Don't emphasize so much on the 'relation' with the person, it is about making sense to them.

Eric

I think Germans have excellent organizational skills, not just at work but the way they run their personal lives, which makes them a pleasure to work and live with. Which partly explains why they are such good engineers. In the old days, used to have a saying among old Chinese Singaporeans, at least with my mom, "ti kok lai sin". Loosely translated as "German License" used to connotate that German products, especially electronic and automobiles, are of superior quality.

Thought i give my 2cents here..

I believe not only the germans have excellent organizational skills.

They are just very straight forward people..Respect and time keeping is very important.. So don't ever be late for any appointment either formal or informal.This they consider very rude.
Don't talk about the world war to them..
Good organizational skills in their personal lives? What is that all about?Domineering? :wink:
One more thing.. there is no such thing as 'i do not know' or 'i think' or 'maybe'.. it's either 'black' or 'white' or 'yes' or 'no' to them.And never say that you know something if you are not sure..
Well of course when it comes to engineering they are very good.. but they do make mistakes too :D

Last but not least be diplomatic to them.They don't like rude people.

Facts,facts,facts... it's all about facts.. don't be surprised if you have to produce a report if you want to talk about statistics! :D

No offense to the germans.They are some good things especially the thingy about lateness and facts!

YG
"Every day is Christmas and every night is new year's eve... "

Steppenwolf

Postby Steppenwolf » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:57 am

Oh! And do ask them to return me my bicycle...! :mrgreen: (ask vaucluse if you don't get this one...)

Eric

I've heard of this one.

I'm told that some of them are a bit upset about this joke. Neither agreeing nor disagreeing, just stating what i've heard.[/quote]
......Ride it, like u Stole it......

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:04 am

AAAAAhhhHH......but! They are not much different that Singaporeans in one respect. They have a very bad habit as well when it comes to lounge chairs on beaches and poolside. They will "chope" all the lounges with towels the night before. Don't believe me? Ask anyone in the hospitality industries. Okay, It's not a 10¢ packet of tissues but it's the same thing.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:39 pm

Rose_YG wrote:
One more thing.. there is no such thing as 'i do not know' or 'i think' or 'maybe'.. it's either 'black' or 'white' or 'yes' or 'no' to them.And never say that you know something if you are not sure..
Well of course when it comes to engineering they are very good.. but they do make mistakes too :D

Facts,facts,facts... it's all about facts.. don't be surprised if you have to produce a report if you want to talk about statistics! :D

YG

Hmmm..., are you talking about my hubby? My hubby is a typical engineer and the engineering blood runs deep in his family. Yes, every thing under the sun is best explained in terms of facts and science. But you know what, when it comes to affairs of the heart, there may not be a rational explanation. Very hard on the wife who can be very unscientific in the way she views the world.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:42 pm

Bremen wrote:

Yup, go for facts and logic. The more asian aspect of "warming up" to them doesn't work. They see it as being a suck-up and lacking seriousness about the deal.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. Why waste time in this age of super-efficiency. Cut to the chase and go straight to the point.

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rose_YG » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 2:29 pm

earthfriendly wrote:
Rose_YG wrote:

YG

Hmmm..., are you talking about my hubby? My hubby is a typical engineer and the engineering blood runs deep in his family. Yes, every thing under the sun is best explained in terms of facts and science. But you know what, when it comes to affairs of the heart, there may not be a rational explanation. Very hard on the wife who can be very unscientific in the way she views the world.

They rationalize things in their own perspective.The person has to be one step above them in thoughts/views to be able to have a common understanding/conversation.To be able to know where they are coming from.
Ever heard of - Agree to disagree ? :wink:

Love is blind.. :D

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 3:21 pm

Rose_YG wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:
Rose_YG wrote:

They rationalize things in their own perspective.The person has to be one step above them in thoughts/views to be able to have a common understanding/conversation.To be able to know where they are coming from.

YG, I am lost. Are you quoting from TsunZhi's the Art of War? My brain not functioning too well from non-sleep due to too much coffee from TCC last night. I am not a coffee drinker but could not resist TCC.

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rose_YG » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 4:43 pm

hmmm, you got yr quote and mine mixed up..

No i'm not quoting from anyone..

:wink:

btw,TCC is a nice place ..

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:39 pm

Rose_YG wrote:They rationalize things in their own perspective.The person has to be one step above them in thoughts/views to be able to have a common understanding/conversation.To be able to know where they are coming from.

from experience?

Eric

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rose_YG » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 1:04 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Rose_YG wrote:They rationalize things in their own perspective.The person has to be one step above them in thoughts/views to be able to have a common understanding/conversation.To be able to know where they are coming from.

from experience?

Eric

What do you think Dutchy? :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:11 am

Rose_YG wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:

from experience?

Eric

What do you think Dutchy? :P

Think you are very experienced... :P

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:33 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Oh! And do ask them to return me my bicycle...! :mrgreen: (ask vaucluse if you don't get this one...)

Eric

I don't have your fiets, it's in one of the canals . . . :lol:(maybe we'll see the old rivalry in tonight's draw- all in the hands of Cruyff)

'nuff said Image