Singapore Expats Forum

Ambition, virtue or curse?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Ambition, virtue or curse?

Postby Kimi » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 9:20 pm

I suppose, it depends maybe whether it's coupled with the ability to realise the ambition.

Cause there are people with rather high ambition, but the ability they have might take them longer to realise their ambition, and so along the way it can make them feel frustrated.
The frustration can be a curse though, as it might temp them to do anything to realise their ambition/dreams/goal.

On the other hand there are people without that high ambition, but are very talented or skillful, and will be envied even in a good way by others who would like to have their talents and will be considered a shame that they don't make the most out of their talents.
But then again, maybe with some good guidance, they can have more ambition or at least a better way to make use of their talents.

Another example is people who are very ambitious and not very significantly talented (I'm not saying not having any talents, only the standards they have is just normal and not so significant), yet they are probably happy in a way cause they know their place and are content with where they are now and then.

Last but not least, of course there are people who are ambitious and also very talented and know exactly how to make good use out of their skills and talents to realise their dreams and to be successful.
Thus, they are happy realising that they are making their dreams come true and and we probably hate them for that :P

Do you reckon being ambitious is a virtue or a curse?
Are you ambitious?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:19 pm

IMO, how you go about turning your ambitions into reality decides if being ambitious is a virtue or a curse.
Kimi, I have to work harder, re-programmingbit you know (along with tangerika of course). :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:12 pm

Did I hear an ambition there? :P
Well you can try even though haven't really seen any significant tempts there :P
Besides, it might be hard-coded... :-|
Gee, now I must sound really like a geek, crickey! 8)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 3:39 am

On the other hand there are people without that high ambition, but are very talented or skillful, and will be envied even in a good way by others who would like to have their talents and will be considered a shame that they don't make the most out of their talents.

well I certainly fall into this category, I have that many diplomas and examinations, that I am one of the jack of all trades master of none.

I've done all I've wished to do, and never been impressed with the success of making money, it comes and go's like the wind, Career wise I dropped out after 15 years service, and feel life is to -------- short to get involved in the rat trap.

Stability more than ever now, and its like a noose around my kneck, I live for today, becuase i know i will be dead tomorrow. I'm the rebel at heart. (with standards of my own) I kind of feel the reasons of life are difficult to grasp, when i see so many wars and killing, and that life for many, is suffering, a living hell! Which makes me sad

IrishinSing

ambition

Postby IrishinSing » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:39 pm

I saw a school report of a frind of mine (maybe 20 years ago!)

"Jason's ambition and ability are not in synch"

His parents lectured him abotu setting his sights higher.

... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
"I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks." -Groucho Marx

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: ambition

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:14 pm

IrishinSing wrote:I saw a school report of a frind of mine (maybe 20 years ago!)

"Jason's ambition and ability are not in synch"

His parents lectured him abotu setting his sights higher.

... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

i like that story, though i differ in that i think his parents did the right thing. here's another true story i love:

a teacher sets the class an assignment to write about their ambition. one boy submits an essay about wanting to own a huge horse ranch one day. he even drew a sketch of where the stables, pastures, riding grounds etc would be. it was a million-dollar dream.

the teacher called the boy up and told him that his ambition was completely unrealistic, that he came from a poor family, and had no chance to own such a ranch. he added that he gave the essay an 'F', but if the boy would amend his essay to make his ambition realistic, he would reconsider the grade.

the boy went home and asked his father what to do. the father said, "it's up to you son, but this is a very important decision in your life." the next day the boy handed in the assignment without any amendments, but with a note at the top to the teacher:

"you keep your F, and i'll keep my dream."

today that boy owns a huge horse ranch, just as he pictured in his essay. he invited the teacher to the ranch.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:19 pm

Impressive story WIMH, is that man single? Go get him! :D
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:32 pm

I guess it ties in to the other thread. Simply stated: Ambition is fine if it makes you happy.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:40 pm

BH10Y, are you being erudite? I'm still learning all these words... :oops:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:42 pm

sapphire wrote:Impressive story WIMH, is that man single? Go get him! :D

are you kidding? i don't date F students. :lol: :lol: :lol:

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:43 pm

sapphire wrote:BH10Y, are you being erudite? I'm still learning all these words... :oops:

I can't help it. I used to get hit if I wasn't :wink:

What word has you stumped?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:43 pm

Ha ha, good one WIMH! :lol: :lol:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 4:45 pm

Bitch is one word which always stumps me. Not when I use it, but when people call me one. Aargh, now there's nothing esoteric about that word, is there? :P

Irenea

I think it's a blessing

Postby Irenea » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 6:04 pm

Having ambition is a virtue not a curse unless you go overboard to pursue your ambition in a nasty way, stepping on others to exhalt yourslef, then it may turn out to be a curse since what goes around comes back. :shock:
Last edited by Irenea on Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 3:44 pm

It's a curse!!! :P :P :P why work so hard? It hurts the brain you know? :lol:

Return to “General Discussions”