Singapore Expats Forum

For Eric!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

For Eric!

Postby beenhere10years » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 3:30 pm

Welcome back! Here's a picture of the biggest group hug I could find, Enjoy!

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 5:15 pm

Yes, welcome back...........group hug here too....

ERR.........DOH..........who's been where and who am I hugging??????????????
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 6:03 pm

Hey Bubbles,

Eric was in the hospital for a few days. The official party line was some kakamame story about a hornet and an allergic reaction, but my money's on a nasty staff infection or perhaps a fungus. :wink:

BH10Y
Last edited by beenhere10years on Sun, 02 Oct 2005 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 7:28 pm

Ta BH10Y, so, hornet story eh Eric.........(falls off chair laughing)........that's a good one.

I think we should try to guess the real reason........maybe.....

1. He's gone into have a sex change..
2. He's gone into therapy because Sing expats forum addled his brain?
3. He's really a she and has had a baby?????
4. He's been on a course with MI6 and is really a top class spy?
5. He's had enough of Singapore and ran off to the arctic, found he didn't like it, and is now back?
6. He had a really, really bad Tiger and Tequila night and has been at the Alka Seltzers since, laying in bed with an ice pack on his bonce.
7. He's gone totally bonkers and for the last week has been sitting on the top of a HDB threatening to chuck himself off, and the police have been trying to talk him down?

Ah Eric, if it's only a hornet story (poor you though) try to make some fantastical story up for this bored, bored, bored girl in Wales who's cooking Sunday Roast Chicken Lunch............sigh!

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 9:19 pm

Ah... Thanks for the big grouphug bh10y, I feel even better now! :D

Bubbs..... Nothing erotic in this one this time... I wish...

Here's the full story...

Eric was in Sungei last Sunday, hiking and enjoying this beautiful reserve and its habitat.

I saw a lizard, so kneeled down and shot a pic:

Then suddenly from the corner of my eye I see this dark coloured insect / creature and at the same time feel it is crawling up my left leg. My first thought was that it was a big spider, but then at the same moment I feel a bite / sting. I got a shock, totally didnot expect that and in an instant reaction shook my leg. The insect falls down and is crawling around there. I then saw it was a big hornet, red and black coloured. And suddenly there were all these ants around, they attacked the hornet and I could not resist taking a pic.

At the same time I feel the sting is painfull and persistent. Me and misses Eric clean the bite with a wet tissue. Misses Eric said we better head down to the entrance and ask a ranger what to do or even better, go to a doctor. But me, naah... let's go hike, I think I am ok. 1 hour later I could hardly walk normal and the leg was swollen. Back at the rangers post, a ranger had a look and said it was better to go see a doctor, in case.

Will see... On the way back the car accident, then next day leg more swollen, so went to see the doctor. Antibiotics and a cream and medicins against the pain, as it persisted to be nasty. Day after leg is swollen to ridiculous proportions, so again went to see the doctor, this time he wrote a letter for consulting the E&A at Changi hospital. There they instantly told me to stay in hospital. X-rays showed that it was soft tissue that was swollen, bloodsamples and further consulting showed it was an infection, called cellulitis. If not treated, an abces, if not treated then, amputation.

So misses Eric was right like always, and my stubberness as always turned out to be plain stupid.

4 days in hospital, being treated extremely well by both doctors and nurses, I had a good time there...

But here I am, back home and able to walk again. Went swimming this morning in our pool, no problemos anymore.

Eric

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:09 pm

Eric, i'm so glad you're fine. Been bitten by bees and hornets before, not a good thing at all!

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:15 pm

Wah get bitten by a hornet and you get a big welcome, a hug, a thread dedicated to you!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:23 pm

Wow I didn't know that hornet bites can be so deadly. So glad you're ok now Eric! Next time, please go see the doc immediately. Sorry if I sound like I'm nagging but it's really no joke if it can lead to amputation.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:36 pm

The photo of the hornet shows that it's the type that makes large paper ball nests that can be the size of a large medicine ball. My son had the misfortune to get involved with a nest of them about 7~8 years ago while we were still living in Seletar. The nest was in the trees behind the busstop outside the camp gates. My son was in the tree but didn't see the nest and his cousin threw a stick at the nest. Needless to say, burned up the highway getting to TTSH. He had been stung about 8 times around the head and shoulders and spent a very painful touch-an-go at the hospital for about 36 hours. To this day he is scared to death of bees of any type, he can't even watch them on Discovery Channel. says his skin crawls every time. You're damn lucky it was only one because these are swarming types of hornets.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:25 am

Good God Eric, you're lucky. Thank goodness you got medical attention when you did.

Now then, when will you boys ever learn? Women are ALWAYS RIGHT.

HAHAHA.

Dylan Thomas.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 1:39 am

Sorry to hear this Eric!

I do hope you are back to your old self now, and feeling hornier than a hornets nest!

But just a word of warning from a nature lover, don't get to close to anything out here, without having background knowledge, have you heard of the spitting lizard, that paralises its prey!!!

Just kidding, but you never know, but honestly you must be careful, when I was stationed out here in the 70's we where actually issued with condoms to be worn, while out in the jungle, okay Singapore is not the jungle, but the insects are also on vacation right. becareful this is not Europe and I say that for the benefit of other westerners.

What normally looks harmless is dangerous and what normally looks dangerous is harmless.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 1:40 am

Sorry to hear this Eric!

I do hope you are back to your old self now, and feeling hornier than a hornets nest!

But just a word of warning from a nature lover, don't get to close to anything out here, without having background knowledge, have you heard of the spitting lizard, that paralises its prey!!!

Just kidding, but you never know, but honestly you must be careful, when I was stationed out here in the 70's we where actually issued with condoms to be worn, while out in the jungle, okay Singapore is not the jungle, but the insects are also on vacation right. becareful this is not Europe and I say that for the benefit of other westerners.

What normally looks harmless is dangerous and what normally looks dangerous is harmless.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 9:55 am

Thanks all for your support and nice words. Yep, women are always right at the end, there is still risk around of getting into trouble in Singapore and I feel great again after all this attention from all of you! :D

sms, I can totally relate to your son's trauma from getting stung... 8 times, man... :cry:

Eric

Vodkashot

Postby Vodkashot » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:12 am

Such reaction means that Eric has an allergy. It happens to some people. It could be deadly. Beware.
About ten years ago when I lived in Ukraine I used to remove entire wasp nests as large as football from my summer house and my boat. I was more succesful -they did not bite me. The secret behind that is the insects are tend to stay near to the nest to protect it, only about dozen are trying to attack. I had an NBC protection suit that time so they were not able to bite me:)
It is very easy to remove the nest. One should cover it with bucket, use knife or saw to cut it from the surface, put cardboard on top of the bucket and give it to the neighbours. They will be happy when they will open the bucket.
Alternatively, one can pour some petrol into the bucket, play "Napalm death" and ignite the thing. Don't try it at home.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:45 am

I've only been stung by a bumblebee in my younger days. Hearing of your experience and that of sms son's, I consider myself lucky. Glad you are on the road to recovery. Look from a distance and don't touch nature's creatures. Most importantly, always listen to the Lady in Charge!! We are always right!! :wink: